Explanation on value of 12 troy ounce strike.

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by saltysam-1, Apr 13, 2016.

1. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I posted earlier, a die I obtained in perfect condition of a 1992 12 troy oz bullion piece, (Walking Liberty). I have found the bullion item several times but the sellers are listing it at 40 to 60 dollars an oz over spot. What makes it a little unique is the wording. The last word "Trust" is on a line all by itself, (Still just two lines). All other years are at about half that value, both before and after 1992. If I can find a strike that is 3 1/2" in diameter, which my die is, I would buy it if priced at 20 to 30 times spot. Does anyone have any idea's why this particular piece has such a high resale value?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Are they selling at those prices?

4. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Yes and no. I have not been successful negotiating much of a discount, but it seems the sellers in question don't have a problem waiting it out.

5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I was just curious if anyone was paying close to that, but being unique items I can't say I am shocked there's enough people that pay now and then. If nothing else it gets the sellers attention

6. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I went to an international coin show this weekend. Nothing there, but I did ask a few dealers the same question. No one seemed to know why the excessive price on what appears to be a bullion piece. So I tried an opposite approach. I said I had this round for sale and asked if they would quote me a price. Only to two dealers did because I couldn't show them the coin. Their quote was based on condition once they saw it. My best offer was $4.50 an oz. over spot. It still remains a mystery.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted