Ever thought about selling bullion on ebay?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by rockford, Sep 30, 2012.

1. rockford

rockford Member

Think again. Yesterday I sold a roll of ASE's to help cover the cost of some silver loafs I picked up Friday.

Sale price 775.00

Ebay Fees - 69.75
    Shipping - $11.88
    PayPal fee - 23.85

Total - $669.00

Yesterdays spot price - 690.00

21 dollar loss. Would have been better off selling at local shops.

Who feels stupid? I DO!!!!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

You got $21 under spot. Does your B&M pay much more than that?

4. thecoin

thecoin New Member

21 isint that bad, for that big of a sale

5. rockford

rockford Member

The guys I visit here all pay spot price. :eek: God I feel dumb..

6. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

I understand your point since I have worked out the math luckily before selling on ebay but I dont think you local shops would pay higher than 21 under spot.

7. luke420

luke420 Member

8. Owle

Owle Junior Member

Well, as a fellow sucker for ebay's glitz and glitter I feel your (financial) pain. After getting a decent price for a $20 Saint, I got whacked by ebay's 9% seller fees, etc., etc..

For bullion I would go with the top buyers like Provident and Apmex. Provident quoted me 100% even on Euro coins, Apmex was at 97% on those. Don't be bashful as you check around for top dollar!

9. aandabooks

aandabooks Member

Ebay and its fees have become too much. It is stacked entirely in a buyers favor. Especially with a known price market like non-collectible bullion. I used to sell books on ebay, almost 3000 feedbacks. Made a pretty good side income a few years ago.

As an aside, I let go of some junk and a few 2012 ASEs Friday evening at my LCS. The ASEs were in airtights and mint. He paid me $36 each in cash. I also sold some Peace dollars that I paid melt for and the ones in nicer condition, he paid $28 each. The roll of junk Franklins were at $22.50 face.

Decided to take some profits off the table and fund a new gun. Now if silver drops back down the gun might wait and I'll rebuy the silver.

10. thecoin

thecoin New Member

What do you mean by: The roll of junk Franklins were at $22.50 face.

11. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

No? May I ask how many ASE rolls you've sold lately (or ever)? FYI, this is not that "big" of a sale at all, my young friend. I understand your enthusiasm, but unless this is something you have experienced first-hand, it may be best to sit back, listen, and learn.

12. thecoin

thecoin New Member

13. aandabooks

aandabooks Member

$22.50 for every $1 of face value coin. So a roll of Franklins is $22.50 x $10 face=$225. Just less typing to state price for a face $1 of junk silver. A face of dimes would be 10 dimes.

14. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

One of the very last times I sold on eBay it was a single Franklin half dollar. By the time I paid the fees and shipped the coin I made 1 cent less than the coin cost me.

15. thecoin

thecoin New Member

16. thecoin

thecoin New Member

17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

18. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

I think he meant the $21 that the OP missed out on wasn't all that bad considering he has $669 after fees and expenses. Also, seeing as size descriptions of money are all relative, $775 IS a big sale for some people.

But whatever your perspective is, $21 less than you could have gotten on a $50 sale would be worth kicking yourself over. $21 less on a $775 sale is worthy of taking a moment to learn from your mistakes. $21 less on a $100,000+ sale, who cares? (ASSuming profit margins are relative to the size of the sales)

$21 is 42% of $50
    $21 is 2.7% of $775
    $21 is .021% of $100,000

Size does matter. $775 is a large sale for him. Apparently not for you. But his point is still (relatively) valid.

19. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

...But I do get what the OP is saying. In the future, I will likely use FeeBay primarily for buying. The ONLY time I can see myself selling on FeeBay in the future is if I'm selling something for which the market is so obscure that I NEED FeeBay's large buyer audience to sell it. Even then, I'd be hesitant.

For everything else, there's craigslist, CoinTalk, and countless other selling resources...

20. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

ASEs are incredibly liquid and one can sell them for over melt on any of the coin boards as well as melt +/- some small percentage at many or most shops. Aside from the ebay haircut, what you have to worry about in these sales is the scam buyer who will attempt a chargeback. Keep that in mind next time you use ebay.

21. adric22

adric22 Member

eBay is a very tough market to make money. I actually make a living selling MacBooks on eBay but I get them pretty cheap, and do all of the repairs and refurbishing myself. But yeah. If I sell a MacBook for $400 then I usually end up with about $40 in fees, meaning I really only get $360. By the time you take out the initial cost of the computer and my repair parts, I am usually lucky to have $50 profit left over.

I seriously considered trying to buy some wholesale silver bullion and sell it on eBay. I think I'd need to buy around $100,000 worth straight from the manufacturer in order to actually be able to bring in any profit. I could probably afford $20,000 on credit but since I'd be paying interest on it while trying to sell it, I don't think I'd make any money.

I think if you already had a large collection and you were ready to sell it off in order to start reaping the rewards of your collection, then eBay is probably fine as I doubt you'd get much more from selling to a dealer or something.

Draft saved Draft deleted