England's top 10 finds

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Last week, the 1.5 millionth discovery made in England by people like you and me was celebrated at the British Museum. They are recorded on the Portable Antiquity Scheme database since 1997. QUIZ: can you guess how many of the 10 are related to coins ? Here are some clues :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/15-years-ago-the-resurrection-of-an-emperor.332210/#post-3343570

[​IMG]

Enjoy and please give your comments about this Top 10 !

The link: https://blog.britishmuseum.org/buried-treasure-top-10-finds/

And two coins from my collection found in England:
    3419FFF7-BC4C-4176-83F9-1124241DAE82.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    galba68, randygeki, Ryro and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

How many of us noticed that the plaster cast image of the first Domitianus coin was trimmed down removing the shaggy edges that make that coin distinct? When I first saw this, I thought there must be three coins. The drawing was simplified a bit as drawings can be done but there is no reason to file down a plaster cast.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

There is a similar spread in the latest issue *August 2020* of BBC History Magazine. Unless this is where you got the idea for this thread from.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  5. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

A .500 batting is pretty good in my book. Thanks for the thread.

6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

So I assume that Domitianus was a real emperor (usurper in Gaul?)

And that makes Domitius Domitianus in Egypt Domitian III?

7. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I don't mind other members posting pictures of my coins (especially since it gives me the opportunity to 'Like' them), but in this instance I should make clear the fact that Ocatarinetabellatchitchix and I are NOT the same person. I'm neither as funny nor as good-looking. :D

Cheech9712 likes this.
  9. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Sorry my friend. I copied and pasted the wrong pictures! Correction made.:blackeye:

10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

No problem! Of course, now I'll have to re-post those coins. :shame:

Gallienus - Fortuna MS ex Normanby illust 3542.jpg GALLIENUS
    AE Antoninianus. 3.33g, 19.2mm. Mediolanum (Milan) mint, 2nd officina, issue 7, AD 266. MIR 36, – [1353f]; RIC V (sole reign) 482; Cunetio 1745; Normanby 474 (this coin illustrated). O: IMP GALLIENVS P AVG, radiate bust right, with drapery on left shoulder. R: FORT REDVX, Fortuna seated left, holding rudder and cornucopiae; MS in exergue.
    Ex N. M. McQ. Holmes Collection; ex Normanby Hoard (1985) [IRBCH 854], no. 474

Gallienus - ex Holmes Vict Germ 3540.jpg GALLIENUS
    AE Antoninianus. 2.56g, 21.7mm. Viminacium mint, issue 3c, circa AD 253-260. MIR 36, 845o; RIC V (joint reign) 404 (Milan); Cunetio 785 corr. (bust D1); Wareham 313 (this coin). O: IMP GALLIENVS P F AVG, radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right. R: VICT GERM, Victory walking left, holding wreath and palm; captive at feet.
    Ex N. M. McQ. Holmes Collection; ex Wareham Hoard (1994) [IRBCH –; CHRB X, 36], no. 313
    Notes: The Wareham Hoard (I) was discovered in Wareham, Dorset in 1994. It comprised 1,569 coins deposited circa AD 270. The earliest dated coins were 3 AE issues of Hadrian and the latest 17 radiates of Victorinus.

11. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Draft saved Draft deleted