Ellis Island ATB mintage at 40K

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Sundance79, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Sundance79

Sundance79 Active Member

I just checked the mint web site that says they already minted 40,000 of the Ellis Island ATB coins. They only minted 35K for Effigy Mounds and only 20K each of both Frederick Douglass and Ozark.

And this is before the official release date.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what is going on??

Does the mint think there will be a run on the Ellis Island coins??

Do you think this will be the final number or will more be minted??

Oldrdawg likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Oldrdawg

Oldrdawg Active Member

I will guess without fear of contradiction (but, then again this is CT) that the Ellis Island coins will be much more popular than the others you've referenced. Will it be worth substantially more in the long run? Doubt it.

4. Sundance79

Sundance79 Active Member

I've been watching the other mintage numbers this years and they all grew slowly. In that every couple up weeks they would update the number and there would be a little growth - at times across the board. But I checked today and BANG - 40,000 suddenly appeared! I've already bought some at a pre-sale price of $101. But the price has risen substantial since. Wish I have bought more now.

5. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

Are these number for circulation or what?

6. Sundance79

Sundance79 Active Member

These are the 5oz silver bullion America the Beautiful coins. Not meant for circulation.
    https://www.usmint.gov/bullion-sales

7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

My best guess is that they have strong orders already for those from the distributors who likely already have a good number of orders waiting. I'm surprised the Effigy mintage is as high as it was, there really wasn't much that could be done with that design but it's just not an attractive design overall

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  8. Sundance79

Sundance79 Active Member

I think you are right on. A high number of pre-orders from dealers would explain it perfectly.

9. RhinoEmpire

RhinoEmpire Hi-Yo (Ag)

"The U.S. Mint sold out all 40,000 2017 Ellis Island National Monument 5-ounce silver bullion coins it had prepared for sale, by Aug. 31, three days after the coins went on sale to authorized purchasers.

The authorized purchasers were notified Aug. 31 that the bullion coins struck to date at the Philadelphia Mint were already sold, and no additional bullion coins bearing the Ellis Island design would be produced.

Authorized purchasers were notified that the Mint’s inventory still included an undisclosed number of 2016 Harpers Ferry National Historical Park 5-ounce silver bullion coins that would be offered for sale until stock was depleted. As of Aug. 31, 2017, the U.S. Mint recorded sales of 48,000 of the Harpers Ferry coins."

Source: coinworld

10. RhinoEmpire

RhinoEmpire Hi-Yo (Ag)

I paid $109 during the presale. Prices as of this morning are $114-$117, so there are plenty of these to go around.

11. Sundance79

Sundance79 Active Member

I beat you. I bought mine on pre-sale at $101. Wish I'd bought a roll now.

Draft saved Draft deleted