eBay buying, determining what is good?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by RoadDog, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Good Cents

Good Cents Well-Known Member

Do you regret not buying it?

If so, don't.

I collect stamps and when I started looking at eBay many years back I was drawn in as well. I bought a big collection for over $1k from a woman whose mother passed and she did the same kind of thing where she wasn't describing exactly what was in the collection, supposedly didn't know what was in it, etc. Suffice it to say that it took me 3 years to unload the pile of junk that I bought and I never even broke even. It was my eBay lesson that taught me to be smarter and not bid blindly with the allure of what I WISH I was getting, and to rather KNOW what I'm getting.

So, it's good you let this go. If you want Estate Sales go around your local neighborhood and you'll be able to hold in your hand what you're buying and KNOW what you're getting. And remember, if it seems too good to be true, it most likely is. Good luck.

Kentucky and Hookman like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Happy people are sometimes stupid people.

RoadDog likes this.
  4. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Know when to say when !

5. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I know many reputable dealers on ebay who do not offer returns (myself included). It's not that these sellers don't offer returns - ebay will always let you do a return if you have a legitimate reason. It's that saying you accept returns opens you up to frivolous and fraudulent returns at your own expense. Disabling this gives you some modicum of protection as a seller.

Kentucky and -jeffB like this.
  6. Kentucky

Since I am not a seller, I will respect what you have to say, but it does give me pause when I buy.

7. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Is that such a bad thing? Ignorance is bliss, or so they say.

Kentucky likes this.
  8. RoadDog

RoadDog Member

Hey thanks man i'm really interested in going to estate sales and some coin shows in the future. Glad I didn't buy and just looking at random lots on eBay. One of my friends collects stamps :) . Is there a website for estate sales I only know of things posted on craigslist that takes me to a specific url.

9. Good Cents

Good Cents Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't know of any website for Estate Sales. I find them by either driving around the neighborhood (people put up signs announcing when they will be held) or Craigslist or neighborhood community boards and groups.

I've seen people put ads in local papers saying that they will come to your house and give a free estimate if you have gold, silver, stamps, jewelry, etc, to sell. But I don't know what the responses are to ads like that or if they are cost effective.

Sometimes local stores will allow you to hang up a flyer saying you're looking to buy x,y,z. Barber shops, grocery stores, high traffic places with bulletin boards. I don't know if people have their eyes facing forward anymore (so many are looking down at their phones) but that's what we used to do years ago when we tried to promote something we were selling or looking to buy - we'd put up fliers. (I'm dating myself, aren't I? Lol)

RoadDog likes this.
  10. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I agree, it can be a red flag when taken in context with other red flags. My point is only to look at the auction(s) the seller has carefully, as well as their feedback. Perhaps they are a dealer with a store that also has feedback or a known reputation. You just shouldn't outright dismiss a seller that doesn't offer returns. By itself I don't think that is shady.

Kentucky likes this.
  11. Kentucky

Craigslist does have a listing for estate sales.

12. RoadDog

RoadDog Member

I think I made a mistake of paying $80 for world coins but LOL man what a ride. Basically it was $20 usd at 1 minute left and everyone was just betting super fast. I won with $1 over smh.

Kentucky likes this.
  13. Kentucky

Show and tell when you get them.

RoadDog likes this.
  14. RoadDog

RoadDog Member

id love to ! it's 5 lbs worth man. Majority actually is from italy but many many of the world's coins are in there. Also to note the lot was unsearched and I have a hunch this is the truth because the person selling it is a buyer and bought it from an estate sale in idaho. : )

Draft saved Draft deleted