Dynasts of Lycia, Perikles: Miniature 3/4 facing X3

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by iamtiberius, Aug 1, 2015.

1. These pieces were issued during the Dynastic rule of Perikles in Lycia, some time between 380-362 BC. Perikles is typically associated with ruling the Eastern half of Lycia, due to historical writings referring to the Western rule belonging to the Persians, during his reign
    Capture.PNG

With 3 more on the way, including a fish in the left field, and Hermes with a winged helmet; I'm starting to compile a nice little collection of Periklean Third-Staters. I first saw a few examples about 1 year ago and was enticed by the style; although I hadn't seen any with the 3/4 facing Gods/Females on the Rev. Coming upon these finally drove me to acquirement.

Depending on who you ask, the bust of Helios is either depicted as Apollo (essentially the same character) or a female; which I find understandable. Much like Dyonisus, Helios takes on a very feminine appearance on ancient coinage. I haven't found many sources describing many of the characters in field aside from the busts. Some are obvious Ancient Greek letters, whilst others are symbols that are unknown to me. In addition to my non-understanding of the symbols; Is the lion-head pelt supposed to be a depiction of the Nemean Lion slain by Herakles? Or possibly alludes to the control/conquering of a nearby nation/city state that was represented as a "Lion?"

Does anyone have familiarity or a decent source? The best compilation and amount of examples I found was Asiaminorcoins.com, but only provides coin information as provided by most auction houses.

The flans on my 6 specimens range from 15-17 mm; bringing the measurement of the busts to approximately 2.5-3.5 mm. Which is absolutely amazing. The Hermes bust is my favorite.

Lycia, Perikles x3 55 percent.png

In order of appearance:
    1: Circa 380-362 BC. AR Third Stater (17mm, 3.17 g). Lion scalp facing / Triskeles; in one section, draped bust of Helios facing slightly left; all within incuse square. Falghera –; SNG Copenhagen –; SNG von Aulock –; SNG Keckman II 495; Traité II 494

2:Circa 380-362 BC. AR Third Stater (15mm, 2.98 g). Lion scalp facing / Triskeles; in one section, draped bust of Helios facing slightly left; all within incuse square. Falghera –; SNG Copenhagen –; SNG von Aulock –; SNG Keckman II 495; Traité II 494

3:Circa 380-362 BC. AR Third Stater (16mm, 3.10 g). Lion scalp facing / Triskeles; in one section, draped bust of Hermes, facing slightly left; all within incuse circle. Falghera –; SNG Copenhagen –; SNG von Aulock 4256 var. (position of Hermes); SNG Keckman II 496

Lycia Gods x3.png

-Michael

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    Ed Snible, Orfew, Andres2 and 22 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Wonderful coins. Love the small busts.

4. When the other 3 arrive, i'm going to reshoot all of them. As with most of CNG's scans, they nearly appear to be in gray scale.

5. Bing

No doubt the color is off at least some.

6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

oh wow, those are awesome. love those mini-busts! plus a triskeles and a lion..WIN!

Ancientnoob likes this.
  7. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Great Stuff here!

8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

What a marvelous set! Looking forward to the additions :)

9. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Those are great.

10. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

A nice set o' trios Michael. :)

11. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Awesome coinage !

12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Super cool additions (yah, I'm jealous that I don't own any of those lil' winners!!)

=> want list!!

13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ummm, but I do have a couple of lion skins that might look pretty cool in your thread ...

BRUTTIUM, Rhegion. AR Litra
    Circa 445-435 BC
    Diameter: 13 mm
    Weight: 0.71 grams
    Obverse: Facing lion’s scalp
    Reverse: RECI within wreath

Bruttium Rhegion.jpg

Caria, Mylasa, AR Hemiobol
    ca 450-400 BC
    Diameter: 7.9 mm
    Weight: 0.52 grams
    Obverse: Facing forepart of lion (lion skin)
    Reverse: Scorpion in incuse square

lion scorpion aa.jpg lion scorpion bbx.jpg

14. Remember last year, when I said I had a few more third staters on the way and that I was going to re-shoot all of them because CNG's photos were in gray scale? I don't either and didn't until I saw this post again. Ha. As promised; better 1 year late than never. (a few other Lycian coins added to the mix, since.)

Lycia Stater Boar 70 percent.png
    Dynasts of Lycia. Uncertain dynast. 490/80-440/30 BC. AR Stater Boar charging left / Tortoise within pelleted linear square; all within incuse square.
    9.25g
    20.13mm

Lycia Stater 70 percecnt.png
    Lycia, Phaselis. Fourth Century BC. AR Stater. Prow of galley right, fighting platform decorated with lion at bay right; to right, owl flying upward left, wings displayed; below, dolphin right above waves / Stern of galley left; ΦAΣ above, astragalos below .
    10.48g
    21.45mm

Lycia Tetrobol 8.png
    Dynasts of Lycia, Perikles. 380-362 BC. AR Third Stater. Lion scalp facing / Triskeles; in one section, draped bust of Helios facing slightly left, PERIKLE in Lycian, all within incuse square.
    3.12g
    17.56mm

Lycia Tetrobol 6.png
    Dynasts of Lycia, Perikles. 380-362 BC. AR Third Stater. Lion scalp facing / Triskeles; in one section, draped bust of Helios facing slightly left, PERIKLE in Lycian, all within incuse square.
    3.01g
    15.25mm

Lycia Tetrobol 7.png
    Dynasts of Lycia, Perikles. 380-362 BC. AR Third Stater. Lion scalp facing / Triskeles; in one section, draped bust of Hermes facing slightly left, PERIKLE in Lycian, all within incuse square.
    3.11g
    19.00mm

Lycia Tetrobol 5.png
    Dynasts of Lycia, Perikles. 380-362 BC. AR Third Stater. Lion scalp facing / Triskeles; in one section, draped bust of Hermes facing slightly left, in one section dolphin right, PERIKLE in Lycian, all within incuse square.
    3.08g
    17.18mm

Lycia Tetrobol 1.png
    Dynasts of Lycia, Perikles. 380-362 BC. AR Third Stater. Lion scalp facing / Triskeles; in one section, bust of Hermes slightly facing left PERIKLE in Lycian, all within incuse square.
    3.06g
    15.91mm

Lycia Tetrobol 3.png
    Dynasts of Lycia, Perikles. 380-362 BC. AR Third Stater. Lion scalp facing / Triskeles; in one section, bust of Hermes slightly facing left PERIKLE in Lycian, all within incuse square.
    3.14g
    19.86mm

Lycia Tetrobol 2.png
    Dynasts of Lycia, Perikles. 380-362 BC. AR Third Stater. Lion scalp facing / Triskeles; in one section, bust of Helios slightly facing left, in one section dolphin right, PERIKLE in Lycian, all within incuse square.
    3.07g
    15.74mm

Lycia Tetrobol 4.png
    Dynasts of Lycia, Perikles. 380-362 BC. AR Third Stater. Lion scalp facing / Triskeles; in one section, bust of Helios slightly facing left, in one section dolphin right, PERIKLE in Lycian, all within incuse square.
    2.62g
    15.01mm

The Boar/Tortoise is the only archaic/near archaic (depending on your definition) I have that hails from Lycia. It's interesting to note that the boar on most is very very weakly struck, as is with many Lycian staters; think giant and bushel of grapes staters.

The Phaselis is probably my favorite of the group. Definitely a budget example. I'm sure most of you who have followed the auctions, know the price that some of these demand via CNG. The Obverse is fairly granulated, but the Reverse (stern) is pretty well struck and with minimal wear.

I haven't seen many Classical Lycian (pre-Alexander) coins posted on this forum, save @4to2centBC 's Mithrapata Stater example. Definitely a coin of the highest quality and issued during the same time as my Third Staters; of which is on the top of my list; but takes a few more months of savings to acquire a humble example.

Post 'em

-Michael

Andres2, Volodya, Ajax and 10 others like this.
  15. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Wonderful coins !!!

'Lycian' coins seem to have eluded me:(

16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

17. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

Totally love the designs

18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very nice! The triskeles design always reminded me of a bass-boat prop! Cool. But the face-on lion is an awesome design.

19. Another Lycian:

Lycia Stater Boar Archaic.jpg
    DYNASTS of LYCIA. Uncertain dynast. Circa 520-470/60 BC. AR Stater. Forepart of a boar left/ Incuse square divided by crossing lines. Falghera 2; SNG Copenhagen Supp. 370 var. SNG von Aulock 4054
    8.77g
    22.1mm

Pishpash, Mikey Zee, Ajax and 6 others like this.
  20. Bing

Two thumbs up @iamtiberius. I love the coins with an incuse square reverse.
    Two Thumbs Up.jpe

21. Another Lycian coin type I've wanted for a while.
    Lycia Stater obv rev.jpg
    Lycia Slab.png

Andres2, Pishpash, stevex6 and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted