Draped Bust Recommendations

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by HappyHighway, Jun 1, 2016.

1. HappyHighway

HappyHighway Member

So I'm looking to buy a Draped Bust Half Dollar as my next big purchase. Generally speaking, I would like to stay under $500. Any thoughts on value for the money. I don't really buy coins for resale value and basically only use the book as a guide. I would like a coin that has the basic features visible without being damaged or "dirty". Worn is completely acceptable and sometimes preferable. Anyway, what do you guys think grade wise and if I should go slabbed or naked?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Definitely slabbed. And for that price range its tough to find anything problem free above g-4. If you don't mind well worn and nice original color. Than go for it

4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Slabbed and I suggest holding onto your $ until you have more to spend. $500 won't get you much in the way of a Draped Bust.

mac266 likes this.
  5. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

6. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Gerry Fortin has several nice ones in VG for under 500. and a pcgs vf20 for 600.

7. World Colonial

World Colonial Active Member

My recollection is that the more common dates (1806 and 1807) can be bought in Fine for under $500, though maybe they lack "originality" and don't have a CAC sticker. If I were looking to buy a type coin, this is the lowest grade I would accept at this maximum price cutoff. The coin is too common to pay more for any lower grade.

8. Mainebill

I misread your post as wanting a draped bust dollar not a draped bust half. You can buy a nice slabbed original f 12-15 in the $500 range for the 1805-7 dates. 1803 possible too for vg-f a cac sticker doesn't hurt. But look for nice original surfaces and color. And one with no major distracting marks.

mark_h likes this.
  9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

You can get a Fine 12 for about 500.

10. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

11. HappyHighway

HappyHighway Member

I really appreciate everybody's feedback and input. I'm just going to keep up the search bit will shoot for that 10-12 range I think.

I live in Germany so shipping can be a problem but I have family in the states always willing to help me with that.

12. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

1806 and 1807 have the highest Populations at PCGS, with the 1806 Pointed 6, Stem type being the single most common variety. These would be the best value-for-grade for a Type coin. You might also consider a Details coin in higher grade; if you exercise caution and diligence there are coins of this era in Details slabs which present a pleasant eye appeal despite the designation.

You should find "righteous" slabbed coins in F12-F15 at your price point. Here's one I consider rather undergraded (despite the obverse scratch):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1807-50C-Dr...in-/391461570040?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Check out that dealer's webpage, as well. They have others.

13. Retiredguy07

Retiredguy07 New Member

Agree with KPSparrow regarding Gerry Fortin. I've been buying from him since 2012, and he's moved from primarily seated liberty to draped and capped bust and other coins. He has a very discerning eye and does great photo work

14. Mainebill

And if you want another opinion on Gerry or someone to look at the coin in person he's a friend and lives 20 min away. Anyone who reads his blog the local dealer he just bought 10 coins from last week was me Unfortunately I don't have any draped bust halves in the price range you're looking for except for a graffiti detail graded 1805

15. HappyHighway

HappyHighway Member

I really like Gerry Fortin's website. Seems he has a good mix of insanely expensive and fairly affordable coins. Should be a nice search. Considering the amount of coins available, I'm almost tempted to put together something like a F-12 set of all Draped Halves minus the two from the 1700's. Of course, I get ADHD with coins because I want everything!! Currently my only certified coins are around 10 Morgan's. Slabbed is nice but I feel closer to the history of the coin when it's not slabbed. I will probably pull the trigger on this next month depending on what's available.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted