Drachm Audoleon, Paeonia: genuine?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roerbakmix, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

In addition to my first post here, about Celtic drachms (link: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/celtic-drachms-genuine.331027/), I have the same question on a drachm of Audoleon from Paeonia (315-286 BC).

The coin:
    DSC_0374.jpg DSC_0373.jpg
    Obs: Athena facing forward
    Rev: Greek text ΑΥΔΩΛΕΟΝ—ΤΟΣ ("belongs to Audoleon"), horse trotting right, AY monogram under raised foreleg.
    Denomination: Drachme
    Weight (g): 3.22
    Diameter (cm): 1.4

I've searched for this exact type online, but in vain. Under magnification, I see no pitting. The sides of the coin, as with the Celtic coins, show no file marks.
    Any thoughts on this coin would be greatly appreciated!

Bing likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I do not like the dead on front portrait. Most of these online are 3/4 or even slightly to one side. The number of dead on Greek heads other than gorgons is not great. Slightly to a side is more beautiful. I am no expert or even slightly well studied in these so you can't put any stock in my opinion. It is the sort of coin I would show to some people whose opinion I valued over mine.

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I do not know this type, but I like the looks of it. Like Doug said, show it to someone with more knowledge of the type.

5. Roerbakmix

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I agree with Doug. The portrait style is unlike any others I see in archives. The portrait on this coin is more like a 2-D line drawing rather than the more complex and artistic renderings seen on coins of that time and place. The fabric looks somewhat believable though. Maybe it is an ancient imitation? I don't know. Show it to an expert :).

Your images joined and shown in full rather than thumbnails (easier to view; more people will see them this way). The portrait of Athena looks more like the lo-fi cartoonish work of Byzantine engravers.
    CT-Roerbakmix-Audoleon.jpg
    A more typical example from CNG's archives:
    [​IMG]

All the hits from ACsearch

Paul M. and Bing like this.
  7. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

This one is a fake. The wrong style should be obvious, but it also looks like there is a strong casting seam from 11-12 o'clock on both sides.

Paul M. likes this.
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I had never heard of Catawiki. Is a coin appearing there more or less meaningful than eBay?

9. Ken Dorney

Just a European version of Ebay, and like Ebay anyone can sell there. As such it takes a real grain of salt to navigate!

10. Roerbakmix

Catawiki is moderated however, and the moderators are somewhat knowledgable. Coins (and other items) have to be approved by the moderator before they are auctioned.

In response to Ken: could you please show me the casting seam? I don't see it (but still a novice in ancient coins)

11. Ken Dorney

This should show you what I am looking at. Possibly its just something lying underneath the coin? I dont know, but it looks like an obvious seam.

12. Roerbakmix

Aha, i see what you mean. However this is not a casting seam: the coin lies on a glass surface and it is the reflection on the glass. To be sure, I've just checked the coin again: there are no casting seams on the side.

I've rotated the reverse side as well: it's aprox. 170 degrees rotated (horse would be up side down compared to the observe).

dougsmit likes this.
  13. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Somebody is making good money peddling these. I would venture it is made with a press.
    f70e72ab-3faa-4cbb-b0af-b1eb4c74d040.jpg

Paul M. likes this.
  14. Ken Dorney

I dont think there is any chance that this coin (or its similar example from Catawiki) is genuine. Sorry.

dougsmit likes this.
  15. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

I don't agree, the auctioneers or "moderators" are far from knowledgeable, the amount of fakes that are posted in the coin section, military section, antiquity section and even the musical instruments section is very disturbing.

Andres2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted