Celtic drachms: genuine?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roerbakmix, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

Hi all! I've recently bought three Celtic drachms, but I have some concerns about the authenticity. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on these coins, being a relative novice myself (especially in Celtic coins).

DSC_0375.jpg DSC_0376.jpg
    Denomination: Drachme
    Weight (g): 2.61
    Diameter (cm): 1.6

DSC_0380.jpg DSC_0382.jpg
    Weight (g): 2.77
    Diameter (cm): 1.4

DSC_0383.jpg DSC_0384.jpg
    Weight (g): 2.40
    Diameter (cm): 1.4

My identification process so far, is that these are Eastern Europe celtic Phillip II imitations, the "kugelwange" type. The weight and diameter of these coins are, as far as I know, correct. The sides of the coins show now file, apart from one coin which looks as it was recently tested for silver quality at a jeweler (will try to post a detailed picture of that).

What strikes me though, is the amount of detail on the coin. The seller states he bought the coins at an auction years ago. He mentions selling his ancient coin collection to create some budget for his expanding medieval collection. His other coins definitely look genuine, but also highly detailed (e.g. antoninianus, some sestertii, etc.).

I've searched in vain online, and found similar coins, but not the same ones: neither genuine nor fakes. I would greatly appreciate any imput!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

They look OK to me but could be wrong.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  4. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

Thanks Mat! Could you elaborate a bit?

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Hard to say from just images, but the weight seems within range. I hope they are authentic. They are nice looking coins.
    Lower Danube Celt.jpg
    LOWER DANUBE CELTS
    AR Drachm
    OBVERSE: Stylized head of Herakles with wild hair, right
    REVERSE: Stylized Zeus seated left holding an eagle, kantharus to left
    Struck by the Lower Danube Celts, 2d-1st Century BC
    2.9g, 20mm,
    CCCBM I 217, Kostial 896
    ex JAZ Numismatics

EASTERN CELTS.jpg
    EASTERN CELTS, DACHREITER TYPE
    AR Drachm
    OBVERSE: Celticized head of Zeus right
    REVERSE: Celticized horseman riding left; wheel of four spokes above
    Struck by the Skordoski in Syrmia, 2d Century BC
    1.87g, 14mm
    OTA 188/2-3

Johndakerftw likes this.
  6. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I've never seen anything quite like them. Their style is highly unusual what with the odd bird-like head on the horse. Also the second example has an elaborate tail not seen in any of the literature. I looked through Kelten Im Osten and there was nothing like these listed at all. If they are real, they are mint state. The surfaces are pristine and there is no noticeable wear on them at all.

Bottom line, I think they are fake. But you should get an expert opinion. Contact Chris Rudd, he's one of the few experts in the field (though he specializes in British he would know): https://celticcoins.com/

Alegandron likes this.
  7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Incredible coins, almost "Too good to be real", but I hope they are. Would love to have something like this. Where did you get them? BTW welcome to CT.

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I have couple that were from reputable sellers, and that I was able to attribute...

upload_2019-1-17_20-5-50.png
    Celt Imit Philip II 2nd C BCE AR Drachm Zeus Horse pellet-in-annulet above Kugelwangel type- Danube Valley - Kostial 508 OTA 204

Celtic Imitation Philip II 2nd C BCE AR Drachm Kugelwangel type- Danube Valley - pecunum auction.JPG
    Celtic Imitation Philip II 2nd C BCE AR Drachm Kugelwangel type- Danube Valley - pecunum auction

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Johndakerftw, Andres2 and Bing like this.
  9. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Roerbakmix, I wouldn't bet the farm on it but they look good to me too. Their near pristine condition could be due to burial shortly after being minted.

10. Nathan P

Nathan P Well-Known Member

If you search through acsearch you won't find a single Kugelwange drachm with a detailed rider on the reverse like those depicted on your coins. That would concern me. That said, I don't see any matches at forgerynetwork or the fake coin reports at forumancientcoin. Do you have photos of the edges?

Draft saved Draft deleted