Don't jump to conclusions in attribution

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Omegaraptor, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-DATE-DR...CIAAOSwMudbmUrF:sc:USPSFirstClass!08054!US!-1

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dateless 1801 3 errors LC, $15 BIN.

For those of you not into EACs, there are two varieties of 1801 3 errors large cents. There is the rare S-218 and the common S-219. The S-218 has LIBERTY shifted over one space from the 219.

When I first looked at the reverse I immediately tried to make out LIBERTY. I thought I was seeing traces of LIBERTY shifted over and I got extremely excited. Then I looked at the legible reverse area again and saw that there was a die crack going through IINITED - a characteristic of a later state 219. 218 NEVER has this die crack.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/“dateless”-seated-dime-possibly-1853-no-arrows.315197/

This brings me back to an earlier thread I made. I thought one crummy seated dime I owned was an 1853 No Arrows - until I actually did a photo overlay and neither of the two obverses matched. @BooksB4Coins made a very good point here - these "amazing finds" seem to always occur on low grade coins.

Although it's not impossible, the odds that you are convincing yourself to see what you want to see is much higher. Start from the most common possible coin and work towards the rarest.

Pickin and Grinin and IanC like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. IanC

IanC Numismatist

EACs are some of my favorite coins. I still have a LOT to learn about varieties, but I'm working on it. The coins themselves are awesome, then looking for varieties is like the luster on the coin (a very bad version of "icing on the cake" that I just made up). By the way, great jokes in your signature. I got quite a few laughs from those :)

4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Although I haven't yet tried to confirm your attribution, I do want to congratulate you on how far you've come. You've taken blunt advice masquerading as lumps to heart and is much more than can be said for many others, including guys much older than you. Kudos! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted