“Dateless” seated dime - Possibly 1853 No Arrows?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Omegaraptor, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

A few years ago, I attended my first PNNA show in Portland and picked up this Seated Dime for $3.

6A9F9005-D2EF-4EDB-835C-A8165910B72A.jpeg

Now I took another look at it and did a double take. I took a look at the 1858 and 1859 obverse dies, and none of them seem to match.

Try not to laugh, but is this coin an 1853 no arrows, or am I just convincing myself that I’m seeing 1853?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

First (and again) ask yourself why such potentially grand finds always seem to show up only on trashed coins. Then consider Occam's Razor.

4. Omegaraptor

I could be convincing myself that I’m seeing 1853 (and I probably am), but a lot of finds do happen on low grade coins. Many large cent NC varieties are known by only a few low grade examples.

-jeffB likes this.
  5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I see 1858, or 1850. The 1853 date is larger than that appears to be, if memory serves.

6. BooksB4Coins

Yes, but now ask yourself what said coins all have in common.

7. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Looks like it could be an 1853. Not sure about the last digit - looks like it could be another circular-shaped number.
    Here's a link to the PCGS CoinFacts page for the variety: http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/4599

8. BooksB4Coins

The OP could consider doing a photo overlay to see if the date positions match. Off the top of my head I forget if more than one obv was used, but is something he'd have to address. While not a solve-all solution, it could be a step in the right direction.

9. lovecoinswalkingliberty

lovecoinswalkingliberty Well-Known Member

10. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

That sounds like a great idea.

11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

1852. The curl at the top of the last digit, looks more like a 2 than a 3.
    18523.png

JPeace$ likes this.
  12. Omegaraptor

I just did a Photoshop overlay. Neither of the two obverse dies known for 1853 match.

13. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

All of my dateless coins are most definitely very rare key dates. It just takes a true connoisseur to interpret them correctly.

Oldhoopster and Omegaraptor like this.
  14. Omegaraptor

Lol. But to be real, now that I have Photoshop, I can do overlays with genuine examples, so I can actually tell if my coin is a key or not!

mynamespat likes this.
  15. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I have a burlap sack of no date buffalos. Sack has grown to substantial proportions over the years. I give them away to kids. Some years ago I got to wondering.... Maybe, just maybe there might be a hidden gem in there. So I mixed up a concoction of peroxide and alcohol and started soaking them six at a time..... If you ever have done this to a no date nickel the process produces a ghost of a date image and leaves the nickel an unnatural white color. But that ghosted date image always looked like a 1913 or 15 on the S mints. The D minted buffalos always looked like a 1918. I was making myself crazy trying to see what I hoped was there...... So anyway, I have a big sack full of buffalo's that are all 1913-S, 1915-S and 1918-D that I plan to auction. You just have to soak them to get the dates..... No, I finally got over it and am back to handing them to kids every chance I get.

BlackBeard_Thatch likes this.
  16. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

1852 was my first thought as well

17. Sunflower_Coins

Sunflower_Coins Importer and Exporter

Are they worth anything anyway? I found a 1915-S in a lot, somewhat readable date and everything, had G details. I was excited to discover a semi-key buffalo in a cheap lot of coins. Couldn't give the thing away, someone finally bought it from me for five bucks.

18. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

In that shape? No not really... But that’s not the point!

19. Sunflower_Coins

Sunflower_Coins Importer and Exporter

I did consider it might actually have something to do with the OP...

20. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I’m seeing 1858

21. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Draft saved Draft deleted