Domitian: Show Me The Moneta

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, Sep 25, 2018.

1. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Last week the postman delivered a long awaited coin to my PO box. Even when I was only collecting silver I had always wanted this type struck for Domitian exclusively in bronze.

D221.jpg Domitian
    Æ As, 10.23g
    Rome mint, 84 AD
    RIC 221 (C2). BMC 288
    Obv: IMP CAES DOMITIAN AVG GERM COS X; Head of Domitian, laureate, r.
    Rev: MONETA AVGVST; S C in field; Moneta stg. l., with scales and cornucopiae
    Acquired from Marti Classical Numismatics, September 2018.

In 82 Domitian reformed the coinage by increasing the weight of the gold and fineness of the silver. Production of the bronze coinage was suspended while the mint was reorganised and resumed in 84 with new reverse types. Appropriately, one of the first types struck after the coinage reform on the bronze was Moneta, 'mint goddess of the emperor'. Mattingly believes Moneta in this context can be seen as symbolising Domitian's control of the mint and as paymaster to the empire. A fitting reverse design for an emperor who cared so much for his coinage. The Moneta type would be struck for the remainder of the reign.

The reverse wasn't the only reason why I was attracted to the coin. In a recent thread (https://www.cointalk.com/threads/did-the-same-die-cutter-work-on-both-coins.324168/) the idea of fanboying certain engravers was brought up. I have always been a fan of the engraver who produced this denarius' portrait in 85.

D266a.jpg Domitian
    AR Denarius, 3.35g
    Rome mint, 85 AD
    RIC 266 (R2). BMC 74. RSC 361a.
    Obv: IMP CAES DOMITIANVS AVG GERMANIC; Head of Domitian, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: P M TR POT IIII IMP VIII COS XI P P; Minverva stg. l., with spear (M4)
    Ex Harry N. Sneh Collection, acquired from Barry Murphy. Ex Jyrki Muona Collection. Ex Berk 158, 26 March 2008, lot 240.

I think the same hand engraved my new Moneta As and the above denarius. It would be an interesting thing indeed if the imperial mint shared engravers with the senatorial mint! Perhaps they weren't as separated as previously thought?

Feel free to post any coins you feel are relevant.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    Marsyas Mike, Ajax, Nemo and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Congrats on the score! It is a wonderful portrait.

He looks slightly more dour on this one of mine.

Domitian - As Victory 399.jpg
    DOMITIAN
    AE As. 10.84g, 29.8mm. Rome mint, AD 85. RIC 421 (R2). O: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM COS XI CENS PER P P, laureate head right with aegis. R: Victory flying left with shield inscribed SP/QR; S-C in fields.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

A very nice addition, David.

David Atherton likes this.
  5. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Great new bronze, David! Here's a VIRTVTI AVGVSTI As that was just delivered today, though it is a bit porous...
    CollageMaker_20180925_000341686.jpg

6. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

You have already seen that one many times @David Atherton, but you asked...

[​IMG]
    Domitianus, As - Rome mint, AD 85
    IMP CAES DOMITIAN AVG GERM COS XI, Laureate bust of Domitian right wearing Aegis
    MONETA AVGVSTI, Moneta standing left, holding cornucopia and scales. SC in field
    11.08 gr
    Ref : Cohen #325, RCV #2807v

Q

7. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I do like your new bronze, David. A serene, subdued portrait and nice patina.

This is my example of the type - a very different portrait style:

Domitian As MONETA OBV1 N - 1.jpg Domitian As MONETA REV1 N - 1.jpg

8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

It's a great portrait.

025~2.JPG

9. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

My only Domitian (entombed). Beautiful acquisition, @David Atherton !
    DOMITIAN_SLAB_MARBLE.jpg

10. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

When I heard that David Atherton was now in the Flavian game IN BRONZE (!) I quickly hit the BUY button on this one before he could snap it up. :nailbiting: I had been looking at in the Aegean stock for quite some time. It's an upgrade of a coin that's currently in the CT "for sale" forum. Happy with the detail at the price point.

DOMITIAN 1.jpg

chrsmat71, zumbly, Deacon Ray and 6 others like this.
  11. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Domitian, Seleucis and Pieria, Antioch. The SC on the reverse I believe stands for Coele Syria, not Senatus Consulto. I like the left-facing, slightly upraised portrait.

domitian1.jpg

domitian2.jpg

chrsmat71, zumbly, Deacon Ray and 5 others like this.
  12. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

A very wise move. David is quite the Flavian predator.

13. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I like it! Plus, yours isn't one that has an unfortunate legend break, DOMITI-ANVS

David Atherton likes this.
  14. David Atherton

Happily, my 'want list' is so large I can absorb the loss. Still, it's a rather lovely coin. Congrats!

15. David Atherton

Deacon Ray and Justin Lee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted