Dollar Melt Value

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Randy Abercrombie, Jul 16, 2022.

1. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Don’t hit me. I carried the kids to the amusement park and I don’t have my reference books with me…

I have never noticed this before. I have always thought in the back of my mind that the PM content of our coins was proportional to the stated value. A quarter has 2.5 times more silver than a dime, etc…. Just was perusing Coinflation and I see all denominations at around 13.5 X face, however dollars are 14.5 X face….. As long as I been at this, I should know…. But is a dollar heavier in silver than ten dimes?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Yes.
    .77344 for dollar ASW .07234 for dime ASW

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yep, silver dollars are special. The minor silver coins are all proportionate, I think, even the 3c silvers. (But if you want to melt a bunch of those, PM me first, okay?)

I think the Red Book might cover the history of the difference, but I don't recall the story off the top of my head.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Afraid so Randy. I forget the actual numbers if I don’t have my Red Book but a silver dollar is over 3/4’s of an ounce and 10 dimes are under 3/4’s.

6. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

I'm a bit foggy on the details, but recall that in 1853, all denominations except for the silver dollar were debased with slightly less silver than before. I imagine that this is probably the reason for the discrepancy.

Draft saved Draft deleted