Dollar Devaluation

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by phubanks, Mar 9, 2010.

1. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Whack Job

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. krispy

krispy krispy

Why are you trolling around digging up all these months old threads without adding anything new to the thread...? :confused:

4. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Whack Job

I'm an inflation hawk. This thread is more relevant today than it was when it first was posted. Its a good read too, and sometimes newer members have missed out on some of the more telling conversations we've had in the past.

5. krispy

krispy krispy

Maybe instead of 'bump' this explanation would have held more merit. Digging up old threads is common activity for forum trolls, so that's how it looked as you rifled through any or all threads from the past year you were once actively posting in. Threads die out and go to sleep when all that has been said, has been said. I think your bumps simply need context. I for one never read something just because someone left it on my desk without an explanation or recommendation to do so. Thanks for providing some context for why you felt it was important.

6. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Whack Job

You're right. When I started it was 5:00a.m. I didn't think anyone would be commenting on my bumps before I got to them myself. But I failed to realize that maybe there are other night owls, or people in other time zones. I've commented on all of the bumps that I made. And if nothing else, maybe I'll get some people thinking and some conversations flowing.

7. sunflower

sunflower New Member

Bump???

What does "bump" mean as used here?
    Thanks. I read ahead a little, but still do not fully understand.

8. coinup

coinup Junior Member

it did for me!

as for the whiners that complain about "old threads"...2 things:
    1. If it's that old and it's no longer of interest, then the mods need to delete them.
    2. If one doesn't agree with a "bump" or revisiting an old thread, don't read or reply....

If you feel compelled to research, read, and/or revive an old thread, by all means, go for it! It may very well be more relevant as time goes by...

Have a good day.

9. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

If you look a bit closer, I think you will find that an "AVERAGE" car in 65 cost $3000.
    A luxury car, such as a high end Lincoln or Cadillac ran about $7000.
    I don't know what a "CHEAP" car ran then, but to find one to equate with the dirt cheap $12000 car of today, I think you are probably below $2000 in 65 money.
    A 'middle of the road' car of today, not fancy, not cheap, would run about $30,000 (vs 3000). Your high end BMW, Caddy, Lincoln etc... can reach $70,000 (vs 7000)....
    I'd say that using this as a guide, our money is loosely worth 1/10 of what it was in 65.

My .02...
    (down from .20 in 65) ;)

Edit:
    In 72, Mom got a Pinto for $1800 new.
    In 78, Dad got a small Chevy Monza for $5500 new.
    In 82, Mom got a Chevy Monte Carlo for $12000 new.
    In 85, my Uncle got a Buick for $14000 new.
    In 93, I got a Ford Tempo (cheap car) for $10,000 new.
    In 95, I got a Chevy Camaro for $19,000 new.
    In 2000, my wife got a base Pontiac Montana (glorified station wagon) for $21,000 new.

These are very comparable average people movers over the years, prices going up drastically.
    Prices should not increase like this in a stable enviornment.
    The EPA and Unions are HUGE factors in the increase in prices, however, with both these entities having a hand in EVERY INDUSTRY IN THIS COUNTRY, this situation is inevitible as long as the sheeple put up with it. This is why our industries are leaving our country too. Prices are going up, jobs are going down... So much for unions protecting jobs.

10. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

Whoops!
    I didn't even notice it was a thread ressurection!
    Normally I hate that, but here I agree with you.

11. krispy

krispy krispy

I'm glad it did it for you, but you seem to have missed the point, "bump" just doesn't say anything, especially not to those already subscribed to the thread who get a reminder to return to see what was posted on the topic... and it wasn't just this thread that was 'bumped'. He did the same thing to a dozen or so other threads all morning long yesterday without initially providing a reason for doing so. It's perfectly fine to revive old threads and there's no reason to have the thread deleted nor locked as its in no rules violation.

12. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

I see what you are saying Krispy, but I don't get the thing about subscribing to a thread and getting a notice.

I don't know about you, but I rarely subscribe to a thread. It has to be SERIOUSLY interesting to me to subject myself to constant and annoying reminders. And the few that I ever subscribe to, I unsubscribe promptly when my question is answered or the conversation stales.

This seems to me to be the responsible thing to do if you are prone to be upset by subscribed thread reminders.
    Just a thought...

13. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

This isn't even close to the sort of thread I would subscribe to...
    I can walk away now, and never think about this thread again, even if it gets 10,000 more responses.

14. krispy

krispy krispy

I do the responsible thing by sorting my subscriptions accordingly: some are instant email alerts, others are only updated through my control panel here on CT. I maintain subscriptions so I can remain current of what is being discussed on many topics that interest me. I was not upset, nor does reviving an old thread make me upset. I simply asked for some context for the multiple bumps. As as I mentioned yesterday, it's a rather forum troll-like thing to do, digging up and bumping old threads. The multiple thread bump seemed no different. The responsible thing when bumping a thread is to give some context for the action.

15. krispy

krispy krispy

If you are so indifferent then why are you posting to this thread and about your indifference to the topic, which lengthens this off-topic discussion... :confused:

16. coinup

coinup Junior Member

you're right bro, I wasn't aware of prior multiple 'bumps'....having said that, it's not a problem for me. I actually enjoyed the read and found previous posts informative. I rarely search for older threads unless I'm doing specific research. I'm just indifferent about it and will either read them and comment, or ignore them altogether. No worries.

17. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

I tried to PM you, but you don't take them...

I understand and agree with you on the 'bump' thing.

My pointed response to the subscription thing was, again, 'tongue in cheek'.
    My dry posts don't express the smile on my face as I post semi-serious pokes. ;)
    Sometimes I think I use smiles too much, others it is clear I don't use them enough.
    I am a smart-@$$... Just me.

I won't lengthen the thread off topic any longer, but I did want to reiterate that to you as we have taken each other too seriously before.

18. krispy

krispy krispy

19. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

About the subject, not the thread.

Silver, like all commodities is a nice hedge against inflation, BUT it doesn't give you a return on investment or gain interest. This is the downside of holding onto a non-performing asset. All it's return must come from commodity prices increases less the market margins of the buyers and sellers. This is why the prices of the commodities goes down during those times when real interest (interest minus inflation) is positive. Having lived through a couple of those cycles, it is now easier to recognize. There is nothing worse than being the last ones to finally get any movement of any market because that is the point at which the market reverses.

Bubbles happen because the momentum exceeds the common sense valuations.

20. coinup

coinup Junior Member

That's why it's important to diversify...

21. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

An Accurate Statement!!

I believe your addendum to be an accurate and thoughtful observation. I would also include my preferred choices of shelter, sources of heat, food, water, covering (e.g. clothes), and natural energy. Rich

Draft saved Draft deleted