Does this look like PVC damage?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by InfoSecDog, Jan 18, 2019.

1. InfoSecDog

InfoSecDog New Member

My first post here.

I'm getting back into the hobby, I've been on and off again for about 30 years. I dug out my stash and was sorting through everything. I've got two Aussie coin sets that my dad gave me as a kid. One of the sets has a milky film on some of the coins and the other set looks like it has pitting on some of the coins. The holders are soft plastic with a "shower curtain smell" which I'm pretty sure means it contains PVC. Does the film and pitting on these coins look like PVC damage? If so, what's my best course of action here? I doubt the sets are worth much money, but they just have sentimental value to me. Thanks for looking.

Robert

Attached Files:

Chris B likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

There are liquid droplets all over the coins! Get them out and have them conserved.

The members here can tell you how to apply the acetone by rolling it on w/Q-tip.

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. InfoSecDog

InfoSecDog New Member

So this is water damage versus PVC damage?

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No, not water. He is telling you that there is liquid PVC residue on your coins.

He is also telling you that your only choice, if you wish to keep the coins from being damaged more than they already have been, is to remove the coins from those holders and rinse them in pure acetone. Doing that will safely remove the PVC residue.

If you have no experience with doing that, and it sounds like you don't, then please read this thread and follow my instructions in that thread on how to properly use acetone. https://www.cointalk.com/threads/proper-acetone-procedure.193708/

Once that is done proper storage must be employed to properly protect the coins.

InfoSecDog likes this.
  6. InfoSecDog

InfoSecDog New Member

Thank you very much! I will knock this out over the weekend.

7. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin Talk! Hope you make out well with preserving this set.

InfoSecDog likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted