Does soap and water constitute "cleaned?"

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Jason.A, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

Say in regards to circulated currency, like silver American and Canadian money.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

4. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

I think technically yes its going to damage or remove the platina

tmoneyeagles likes this.
  5. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Coming from a currency collecting back round, i would say no, a gentle "non chemical cleaning" is fine as long as your not trying to increase the value or
    Represent the bill being cleaned in a better light, my two cents :)

6. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

Does soap + water + hands (no cloth or brush) constitute cleaning?
    And does this jeopardize value or collectibility of bullion-level circulated silver currency?

7. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

can you tell afterwards that it's been done?

Stevearino, Insider and -jeffB like this.
  8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

It's not "cleaning" per se that damages a coin, but improper cleaning.

If you clean a coin by rubbing it, you'll likely leave scuffs or scratches. Damage.

If you clean a coin by over-dipping it in an acid, you'll remove some of the surface metal, muting or destroying the coin's luster. Damage.

If you rub with soapy water and fingers, any grit that's on your fingers or the coin can cause scratches. Damage.

If you rinse with soapy water, but the soap contains fragrances or other additives that react chemically with the coin, it can leave the coin with altered color or appearance. Damage.

Using the right kind of detergent, and the right kind of agitation, and plenty of rinsing, can clean a coin without damaging it, I guess. But given all the wrong ways to do it, I'm hesitant to suggest that you'll get it right the first time. If you're going to try it, practice a lot on coins that don't matter, and study them very carefully before and after to see exactly what you've done.

9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

For bonus points, can anyone else tell afterwards that it's been done? There are surely plenty of cleaned coins that I can't identify at a glance, but others can.

Stevearino, Two Dogs and ripple like this.
  10. mikenoodle

I think people confuse cleaning with damage from cleaning

Cleaning is fine, as long as you can't tell it's been done. That goes for notes, coins, paintings, and tons of other valuables.

medoraman, Stevearino and ripple like this.
  11. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

I buy circulated 90% silver coins by the bag - most are grimy, grey, dull and slightly greasy - I pour them into a large glass bowl of hot, soapy (dish washing liquid) water and let them soak for a while - next, I give each one a gentle rub between my thumb and forefinger, rinse in clean water, blot on paper towels and let dry on a cotton towel. The soaking water is always a dark, murky grey color after the fact.
    Any damage done is minimal, doesn't affect value and makes handling the coins 100% more pleasant.

Stevearino, UncleScroge and ripple like this.
  12. mikenoodle

although it may not be obvious for circulated silver coins, if you did this with uncirculated coins, you'd be sorry.

Two Dogs likes this.
  13. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

This is the bullion investing subforum. Why would you bother to clean bullion?

14. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Simply put, 20170619_183713.jpg it shines more...
    20170619_183658.jpg

15. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

So? It does not increase its value. Bullion is bullion. If its value increasing when it is nice and shiny then it has moved into the realm of collectibles.

16. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Good Point ! there is no reason other then your own vanity to clean or other wise
    Make bright and shiny your bullion, still bullion in hand or in the mud..LOL

17. Flowerbomb47

Flowerbomb47 New Member

I am so very new and so very old as this coin collected job, hobby, pastime which ever I want to call it and I hope someone can get me some good advice for I really love collected but I am so very discouraged do I clean do I not clean how and with do I clean do I get them graded is it expensive to get grated is the coin worthy of getting graded should I just give up all together it is a job regardless of what n e 1 says otherwise lol

ripple likes this.
  18. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

cleaning can make an almost good Morgan a cull Morgan

chascat, mikenoodle and slackaction1 like this.
  19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Yes it does.

20. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Any cleaning agent whether it be soap and water, JEWEL LUSTER
    or lightly wiping with a cloth is cleaning. Leave conservation of coins
    to the experts or don't buy the coin.

Two Dogs likes this.
  21. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Flowerbomb47 generally no, you do not clean, as you will only ruin the coin
    and lower the value. Original patina is important, even if the coin looks dirty.
    A dirty coin is better than a shiny coin which has been scrubbed and ruined.
    For some coins you can let them sit in an acetone bath (glass jar with a lid)
    and then gently rinse them off and this will free the coin of organic crud without
    damaging the surface. But it's always better to let an expert do it until you are
    ready to try it.

Draft saved Draft deleted