Does putting your silver in capsules make any sense, or just a waste of money?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Jason.A, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

Maples, Eagles, Britannias are all typically between $1-$2.50 over spot. In theory, protecting their BU with Airtites /should/ preserve some of that premium, at least when it comes to viewing buy back prices from online dealers. But, in reality, in most situations where one would resell silver bullion, is spending 45cents on an Airtite (bulk price) really preserve enough of the premium to make it worth it?

The other factor is do /I/ want my silver to look nice, so is it worth it to me to keep 200 Maples/Eagles/Britannias in Airtites at an estimated cost of $90 on supplies?

What do you think?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

IMHO … No.
    I just keep them in flips if there are only a few, but I keep them in tubes.

The more you add to the cost the higher your overhead and lower return will be on it. The container that my silver is in has those silver inhibitor 3M tarnish strips in them.

Jason.A likes this.
  4. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

One of the other problems is that human nature is often if we start something we want to finish it. If we /start/ by putting our first 200 bullion coins in airtites, then to maintain consistency we will want to put our next bullion coins of the same variety into Airtites. So, now we're committed to system. It's hard to break that commitment.

I may just stick to gold, so that the next time I spend $1250 on PMs, I can put one ounce of gold in one Airtite at a cost around 50 cents vs putting 71 silver 1 oz coins into 71 Airtites at a cost of (71x45cents) $32 for 71 Airtites.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  5. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

I've bought maples that have been exceptionally high quality, those I would put in something better. Any regular bullion just in a tube

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's a waste of money.

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Plastic sandwich baggies.......cheap and inert. Squezze out all the air and you're home free......

8. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

Its a waste of money but hey you bought silver, why stop there

beef1020 likes this.
  9. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I put mine in direct fit Airtites, or Guardhouse Tetra Snaplocks. Both easily fit inside Whitman blue box.

Of course, that's not the point is it? The point is oh if only you had bought a gold Maple instead you'd only have to buy one capsule instead of a hundred. See, see buying gold is better!

You should see how cool a Morgue Anne looks in a Tetra. Maybe I'll post an image tomorrow for your viewing pleasure.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  10. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

Of course buying gold is better. You can't take your wheelbarrow full of silver with you to the poor house. But I suppose you could hide a few ounces of gold in your shoes if you lost your home and traditional bank accounts and investments.

But in this real world where that won't happen, I'm trying to weigh costs of buying air tites for my silver versus the benefits of keeping them looking pretty and maybe maintaining some of their premium.

I have decided to keep using airtites. I want my silver to sparkle. And I want to fondle it without smudging it.

11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I don’t buy silver. But I do stick my AGEs in an Airtite.

12. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Keep them in 20 ounce tubes and don't open them. I only buy air-tites for gifts.

13. longnine009

Its not an Einstein logarithm. They cost about 85c each. And "looking pretty," can't be quantified anyway.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  14. longnine009

Yeah, you just buy them because "in this real world," looking at a tree leaf is so exhilarating.

20180728_050427_HDR-1.jpg 20180728_050521_HDR-1.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted