Does anyone own 1 gram or 2 gram gold bars?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by kevinc1001, Mar 31, 2015.

1. kevinc1001

kevinc1001 Member

I want to buy/invest in gold bars but like so many I can't afford to drop thousands of dollars. Now I've done some thinking I could get 3 (1 gram) gold bars from Sunshine Mint for $149.71 with shipping from Silver.com Or I could get the following from silver.com If anyone has a 1 and or 2 gram gold bar/s could you please tell me how many inches they are from top to bottom. I've checked and checked multiple websites and non list the length. I apologize if prices and dealers names aren't allowed.

2015 1 oz Silver Canadian Maple Leaf Coins $18.92

2015 1 oz Silver Chinese Panda Coins $23.08

2015 1 oz Silver Australian Kookaburra Coins $20.79

2 gram gold credit suisse liberty bar $97.29

Total $166.03

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

They aren't even an inch, maybe a quarter of an inch from top to bottom if that. I don't have one on hand though or I would check for you.

4. kevinc1001

kevinc1001 Member

Thanks I had a felling they would small but not that small. I have some thinking to do ha ha ha.

5. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

For about the same price you could get a 1/10 oz gold eagle. It weighs over 2 grams. You may be able to find 1/10 oz gold also from one of the other mints you have listed above for silver.

6. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

Are you interested in coins as well or do you have your heart set on getting bars?

There are some much lower premium options if you are willing to buy gold coins.

That 2 gram bar is being sold for a 27.8% premium over spot, I wouldn't recommend it as an investment. But if its really what you want by all means buy it.

harris498 likes this.
  7. kevinc1001

kevinc1001 Member

Are gold coins better to invest in then gold bars? And how big are they? In other words are they bigger than a dime, smaller etc?

8. kevinc1001

kevinc1001 Member

I would like to buy gold coins but the ones I can afford 1/10 oz look tiny?

9. Kevin.G

Kevin.G New Member

I myself would be interested. In a few 1 gram maple leaf coins.

10. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

They are pretty small, but so are the bars. At least with the coins you can find them for a 10-12% premium rather than 27%.

11. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I would agree. Tiny gold coins or bars are not great investments. You simply have way too high of a premium. If I wished to own fractional gold, I would save up a little and buy something like a 20 Franc piece from France or Switzerland. Its a real coin, interesting history, and has a much lower premium over melt. You can find these for just over melt, maybe 5-10% premium. They are .18XX ounces of gold. I just bought three of them personally.

If you cannot afford gold with a reasonable premium, you are better off investing in silver. Just my opinion.

harris498 and Tinpot like this.
  12. kevinc1001

kevinc1001 Member

True.
    I agree I don't mind silver if worse comes to worse silver it is.

13. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

14. galapac

galapac Seeking Knowledge

OP try to stay in an average of 10-12% over spot at most or you will fall into the trap of trying to sell later and would lose money unless prices go sky high...save your money to buy bigger and you will be rewarded for your discipline...
    All posters here are guilty from time to time of paying more premium over spot for a cool coin or bar but only do that if it is something you will enjoy for collecting and not for investment/hedge against the dollar.

medoraman likes this.
  15. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Most of the 1/10 oz coins I got from the LCS. I got them for 8% over spot. The small gold bars do seem to carry a higher premium than the coins. The 1/10 oz coins are just a rim widths smaller than a dime.

16. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

17. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

18. no_cents

no_cents Member

I'll take a picture later of the 1g credit suisse bar I have. I bought it not too long ago when spot was at $1220ish and paid $43 for it on eBay. Made an offer but was expecting a counter offer and later found out the shop was about 15 minutes from where I used to live on the east coast and messaged him and shared some small talk with him and he shipped it for free [emoji106] [emoji6]

19. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

I've got a Credit Suisse 1 gram bar that has a flower on one side, and is intended to be worn as a pendant.
    What will they think of next!

20. kevinc1001

kevinc1001 Member

21. kevinc1001

kevinc1001 Member

Yeah I had a gut feeling they were small.
    :wideyed:

coinman1234 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted