Do you remove your coins from the plastic mint packaging

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by rjbeck, Jul 17, 2010.

1. rjbeck

rjbeck COLLECTOR

I collect and sell some of my silver bullion coins from around the world.Most coins have some type of plastic covering which I really don't like so I remove them and place in the proper airtite, But if I was to sell these items most people want coins in the plastic from the mint to give them some form of security against the coin being a counterfeit. I deal with alot of silver BU Chinese Pandas and these coins still in the plastic seem to bring more of a premium.What do you think and do with your coins.Thanks Beck

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panda

panda Junior Member

all coins that i get that come in some sorta packaging, STAY in the packaging. i don't sell my coins, so that is not the reason.

but i feel just like other collectibles, they have max value still in the packaging. for example an old collectible action figure will have more value if its still in its original box.

especially with the pandas, now that there are fakes hitting the market.

i even got a set of medals from the american hunting club, and i left them in the plastic. they are not worth much, but figure they are worth more in the packaging. at worst they are worth the same, but if a buyer had the choice, they would probably buy the one still packaged.

the coins are safer in an airtite, though. so i guess its just personal preference.

4. My personal preference is to keep coins in original packaging UNLESS they are compromised in some way and then they go in airtites, etc. TC

5. Strikeluster

Strikeluster New Member

I have a brother who collects the gold buffalos, they come in a sealed plastic kind of thing that is 2"x2" or so and we have been cutting them out for TPG submission, because they way we read the TPG submission instructions they have to be in a 2x2 flip. It makes me nervous using an exacto knife to cut the plastic off. Of course he has me do it so any damage is my fault...lol (he's disabled)

Steve

6. WebNomad

WebNomad Junior Member

I personally don't like the plastic packaging, especially with the China pandas, because the plastic packaging precludes you from examining the coin and making sure it is NOT A FAKE. I mean isn't it much easier to fake the plastic packaging than to fake the coin? Unless that plastic packaging has some really nice fancy anti-fraud features...

7. 1970 Silver Art

1970 Silver Art Silver Art Bar Collector

It depends on what plastic packaging it came in. It it was a silver gov't minted coin that came in a hard capsule, then I just leave in there. If a silver Canadian Maple coin came in the original plastic that is still in good shape, then I leave it in there. Everything else I will remove from the plastic and maybe put in an air-tite. It just depends in the coin or round.

8. Fifty

Fifty Master Roll Searcher

I've got a few Silver Maples that are in the original packaging but they have some stains on them. I am thinking about taking them out and giving them a bath in acetone.

9. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I don't think it makes a difference.

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Seems I read a thread similar to this one, where a fellow had some coins in original packaging (I think they were foreign. German?) and the coins were beginning to show signs of verdigris. I think original packaging of Pandas was mentioned too.

11. CK50

CK50 New Member

If I were to resell my silver 1TOz bars, I place the ones with rip/tear damage in airtite acrylics first off when I first get them, and then have about a quarter the entire collection in airtites after that, so if buyer wanted to do a proper weigh, measure and/or acid test without the plastic getting in the way they can do so and then easily reseal them afterwards.
    *If to be sold online i'd leave any and all in plastic*, but if it's sold in person I think that the plastic just gets in the way in checking authenticity. I'd recommend buying/selling local PMs if possible, then you can just ask the dealer what they or their customers prefer.
    Personally I would prefer to do all in airtites, it looks better.

12. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Original packaging is just that "Original" keeping things as is, is always best
    If you can help it, people seem to like the word original around here what
    Ever that may be :)

13. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

I think it also totally depends. If something is released in both a sealed plastic version and a non sealed version, I almost always open it in order to make storage easier. For instance, some Silver Maples come in sheets while others come in rolls.

However, for things like gold Pandas, I always keep them in their plastic. 1) they are counterfeited, so this helps slightly in extra authenticity 2) it's gold and can scratch easily outside the plastic and 3) it has a greater value than an ounce of silver

Then there are things that come in mint capsules that theoretically could be opened and closed again, but I am always uncertain if these are easily able to be closed again or not, so I always leave them alone.

14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

15. green18

16. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Odd that you mention that. I had a jewelry buddy call me about some buffalo’ That were brought to him. Four of them all sealed in the mint cello. Three of them were horribly toned and one had spots. I have no idea how those Buffalo’s were kept but I can tell you the mint cello stuff didn’t protect them from whatever awful environment they were kept in. I passed on them. They were hideous.

17. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Yup. Just noticed. My bad

18. green18

No worries.........they get me too. :)

19. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

You'd think they would have a certain stench, but...

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  20. green18

Like death? devil.gif

CoinCorgi likes this.
  21. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

You can always take them out, you can never put them back in.

I bought a lot of gold pandas that were under 1.1x melt and now 10 years later are worth 2+x melt, glad I never took them out.

Draft saved Draft deleted