Do you leave the plastic on your silver bars?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Gam3rBlake, May 20, 2022.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Sealed or not, there still going to tarnish
    even though it’s bullion, I still like to
    keep mine looking pretty :)

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

I wonder if it’s possible for silver bars to turn rainbow colored like monster toned Morgan Dollars? o_O

That would look pretty cool on a bar!

4. mpcusa

It has been my experience anyway that the toning on bars just turns black
    or a heavy tarnish no rainbow colors that I have ever noticed I have allot
    of 10 OZ bars in the wrapper and out you will still get the tarnish however
    but I do wonder about the Morgans I think they have copper in them, that
    may have something to do with it but I am not a chemist...LOL

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  5. Gam3rBlake

Ewww black is the worst!

Apparently Red & Yellow are the most desired toning colors as well as the rarest.

Green & Blue are apparently the most common.

I was reading about it a few weeks ago. The natural toning not the ones that people purposely do things to in order to make it tone. I don’t like that. Natural toning over decades is what I like. :)

Hmm yeah I wonder if maybe the 10% copper has something to do with it.

I have some gold coins that have toned a little bit and gold is a noble metal so for those I know the copper is the reason.

6. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

The toning of Morgan dollars was caused by the sulfur treated canvas sacks the mint used to store the coins in. The purpose of treating the sacks with sulfur was to discourage mice from chewing the canvas.

UncleScroge and Gam3rBlake like this.
  7. Gam3rBlake

So you’re saying if someone used those sulphur treated canvas sacks were used to store silver bars maybe there is a chance? ^_^

Also I have seen other coins have the same rainbow toning so it can’t be just the sacks.

Both of these are in PCGS holders graded MS67+ and MS68 so PCGS didn’t think it was “questionable color”.

E6725F80-C81D-406C-B41B-A423458604C5.jpeg
    2231FC19-0AC3-4D51-99C2-4AA457A953EF.jpeg

slackaction1 and mpcusa like this.
  8. mpcusa

the question, did it work? I guess you could do your own experiment on that..LOL

9. Dynoking

So you’re saying if someone used those sulphur treated canvas sacks were used to store silver bars maybe there is a chance? ^_^
    Yes
    Also I have seen other coins have the same rainbow toning so it can’t be just the sacks.Both of these are in PCGS holders graded MS67+ and MS68 so PCGS didn’t think it was “questionable color”.
    The toning on these coins is circumferential, most likely from being placed in the round opening of an album or a 2X2 flip. The cardboard material may have contained sulfur.
    Compare the circumferential toning to the toning found on Morgans which may progress across the coin.
    Another pattern of toning can be some what equal across the coins surfaces. In this case the coin may have be stored in 2x2 envelope that again may have contained and off gassed sulfur.

Gam3rBlake, slackaction1 and longshot like this.
  10. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

11. mpcusa

I get kind f concerned when a coin gets graded and then this happens :(

12. mpcusa

13. mpcusa

The dreaded milk spots on a DCAM graded coin :{

14. mpcusa

Whats the reason ? most people I talk to, is when they use the compressed air
    at the time of grading, guess they should find another way, if in fact that is the problem.

15. Dynoking

I understand it is the wash/rinse process used on the planchet before the strike. It can happen at any time and there is no known correction (conservation) for it.

Gam3rBlake and Two Dogs like this.
  16. mpcusa

So many theories, maybe they should change the way the coin is processed, there
    has to be a solution, many people do buy DCAMS, including me, the value of the
    coin is cut in half as who wants a coin with spots on it..LOL

17. N5GWU

N5GWU Member

Personally, I have stacked silver for many years. Historically I won't buy a tarnished bar or one with finger prints on it. I prefer them in the plastic or in a bar container. My money, and I am particular about what I buy. Even if the bar is discounted, I don't want it to have someone else fingerprints on it.

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  18. Dynoking

Agreed.

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  19. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Leave them alooooone!

20. Dynoking

I recently sold two 1oz Engelhard bars. I had to discount one because of a carbon spot.

21. rte

rte Well-Known Member

I bought a one ounce Engelhard bar from a pawn shop.
    I actually negotiated the sticker price down $2.
    When I got it home, removed the sticker on the back...it was hiding where the pawn shop acid tested the piece.

DOH !!!
    I had to go back and ask if it came in that way or did they do that?
    The pawn shop said they acid test everything.
    OUCH, I tried to convince him to familiarize himself with the bars and preserve the condition.

He said it's just silver and they test everything.

Good to know,

slackaction1 and mpcusa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted