Do you ever buy "details" coins?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by RonSanderson, Aug 23, 2019.

1. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

About two weeks ago I tried to put together a year set for my mother. Time was critical so I shopped around for what I could get quickly. Some of them were detailed - an UNC Detail Walking Liberty half and a raw, but obviously ungradeable, Standing Liberty Quarter. I also grabbed a 1911-D Lincoln to replace my cleaned one.

A while back I had a thread on a 1924 SLQ that was "Genuine - UNC Details (92 - Cleaned)". We eventually agreed that there was no sign of harsh cleaning. The surfaces are delicately original without any signs of die wear, possibly MS65.

On the other hand I bought this one raw from poor pictures. This time I did not do so well, although it would have been good enough for the set I was preparing. I valued its color over condition since it was going to be seen by my mother's 102 year old eyes. The scratches and polished-looking reverse were not as important as the decent detail and warm coloring.

25c 1917 T1 #02 full 01.gif

I have two more coins I am preparing to photograph for this thread. They'll be up shortly.

What are your experiences? Do you ever take a chance on Details coins? Do you leave them slabbed or break them out? Do you feel you got value for your money? Or are they actually dogs?

And, of course, do you have photos to show us?

green18 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

4. Murphy45p

Murphy45p Active Member

I use details coins for quite a few spaces in my type set. Typically for me, it allows the details of the coins to be more easily discerned with the naked eye and allows me to purchase a nicer coin at a discount. My eyesight gets worse as the years roll by, so heavily toned coins don't do much for me. Sometimes I can tell the coin has been cleaned, other times not. Not all cleanings are created equal.

For instance, if I can get a slabbed AU details coin at a similar price to that of a vf 35, I'll take the details coin because certain aspects of the design are visible and with less wear. I guess it is the choice of the individual collector.

Yes, I break them out.

That being said, I'm a collector. I'm an investor too, but that isn't my primary goal. For an investment coin, spend the extra money for the problem free coin.

This is a picture of the latest details coin I purchased:

$.20 obverse.jpg $.20 reverse.jpg

5. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I have one DETAILS coin.
    It's a scarce (not rare) variety of an 1831 quarter.
    I grabbed it as quickly as I could.
    Maybe one day I'll be able to upgrade it.

Paul M. and RonSanderson like this.
  6. Murphy45p

Murphy45p Active Member

Paul M. likes this.
  7. ddddd

ddddd Member

Paul M., RonSanderson and Murphy45p like this.
  8. RonSanderson

The two new Details coins are these:
    DA2013B3-0ECB-4245-B05D-6BAE658B2398.jpeg BFEF5F96-2FB3-452C-9ED6-CE332F8A2F5E.jpeg

I already have slots where 2x2’s will fit, so it was a foregone conclusion that I would crack these out. (I figure that if I get them regraded it’s impossible to do worse.) When I do I will post those and invite even more comments.

These both came from David Lawrence Rare Coins. I think the word Details spooks many bidders. Maybe we can see if that’s reasonable, or whether buyers should “buy the coin, not the holder“ even when it says Details.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Paul M., Murphy45p and C-B-D like this.
  9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Can we see the reverses?

10. RonSanderson

Certainly! Good thing you asked quickly - I was just about to head for my hacksaw to free them!

6FFF4C31-CD82-4BC3-967F-7584AF9D5CA9.jpeg

BEAB6439-D96A-46B7-BE89-1239D04A86E2.jpeg

Paul M., Murphy45p and C-B-D like this.
  11. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

Go for the 'details' coin if you like it. Remember, you're buying the coin, not the holder.

12. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

If it is for your mother, buff them up so they are shiny. This is not a joke! She'll like them more.

13. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

And remember the old adage, "If you buy a coin with a problem, you'll always have a coin with a problem."

Penna_Boy likes this.
  14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I can't see the damage on the Walker. In the field on the obverse?
    As for the Lincoln, his jacket is a different color than the rest of the coin.
    Are they just guessing at ED, or do they know? And how do they know?

Paul M. likes this.
  15. RonSanderson

Probably why she had so many Silver Eagles! And why I don’t mind that the SLQ in the first post looks so polished and retoned.

16. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

This is one I really like despite someone's opinion it has been cleaned. I broke it out of the slab immediately.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

green18, gronnh20, Paddy54 and 6 others like this.
  17. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Unless better grade examples are way out of budget, I try not to buy "Details" coins. Always lose money when it's time to resell those.

18. RonSanderson

I can’t see anything at all on the half. But we’ll see soon enough. The cent looks funny at the bottom reverse, around the 5:00 position. Maybe something was removed and left a lighter spot. I’ll work on diagnostics when I finish hacksawing the holders.

Michael K likes this.
  19. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Except that in many cases, it'll likely grade straight if you try a few more times. But I get your point.

Mainebill likes this.
  20. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I have never purchased a details coin nor do I plan to. They might be less expensive, they might act as a filler until a better one comes along but when it comes time to sell it you just can't break even.

Penna_Boy likes this.
  21. RonSanderson

OK, I will make this Details half into a raw half. Then we’ll all make our own grades from the beginning.

92DF8FC5-294A-4D96-8983-B5740D806F37.jpeg

Edit: After I posted this, I noticed bits of white plastic all over the saw blade. I'm afraid I've destroyed a few holders along the way. They must cringe when they get dropped off in the mailbox!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted