Do you Consider a Dipped Coin to Be Cleaned?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by physics-fan3.14, Feb 17, 2018.

?

Do you Consider a Dipped coin to be Cleaned?

1. No

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. No, it has been conserved

5 vote(s)
    4.7%
  3. Yes

30 vote(s)
    28.3%
  4. Yes, but it is market acceptable

16 vote(s)
    15.1%
  5. If done properly, a dipped coin is not a problem at all

39 vote(s)
    36.8%
  6. I will never buy a dipped coin!

5 vote(s)
    4.7%
  7. Dipping is a problem when it is improperly done

24 vote(s)
    22.6%
  8. Dipping is a problem when it is done too much

9 vote(s)
    8.5%
  9. Dipping is a problem when a coin starts to develop unattractive secondary toning

7 vote(s)
    6.6%
  10. I've had enough Bourbon that I don't care

10 vote(s)
    9.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Laser treating and dipping are in no where shape or form the same. And no the TPGs could watch you dip the coin like they do themselves and if you do it right will straight grade it

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I think what gets lost here is that dipping coins can save coins. Toning will destroy a coin if it’s not removed. Some toning is beautiful and not advanced enough to do harm. If you have a coin in that state and you store it properly it should not worsen. But advanced will ruin a coin if it’s not removed. That will get you that dreaded details slab.

4. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

I think you mistook my original message and that is if the industry changed its standards then there will be big problems. It does change from time to time. We don’t store coins in envelops for the most part and no one lacquers coins anymore, that kind of stuff. You are correct dipping an ugly train wreck of a coin to make it pretty is good but over dipping is bad. Dip if you want it’s your collection so I’m sure you want them pretty not dirty looking and gray it’s only natural.
    Reed and Sparkles the Unicorn.

5. CamaroDMD

I think you missed my point. Toning damages coins. It toning that has reached that state is not removed it will destroy the coin.

Yes, over dipping is bad. Everybody knows that. It mutes the luster.

6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

7. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Im not against you on this, your battling against the wind. I just hope for silver coin collectors the standard “market acceptable” doesn’t change. I collect copper and alloyed copper coins and most of my collection is brown as I prefer them that way. I feel for the dilemma silver coin collectors are in.
    Reed and Sparkles the Unicorn

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I wouldn't quite put it that way, but I do readily agree that he is battling against what some people want to believe. And no matter how much factual evidence you present to the contrary, people will still only believe what they want to believe.

Dipping coins properly and correctly is and always has been (not just for decades but centuries) readily acknowledged as being perfectly acceptable, and in many cases even recommended, by the numismatic community as a whole. And that includes the biggest names there are in numismatics.

I can almost guarantee you that just about every member of this forum there is proudly owns not just one or two, but many coins that have been dipped. And it's not just this forum, this is true of almost everybody there is that collects coins.

And if they think they don't, they are fooling themselves.

JPeace$ likes this.
  9. CamaroDMD

This is true...but why change. ;) :D

All kidding aside...it is what it is. I will believe what I believe and others will believe what they believe. No amount of stating the different views will change that.

10. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Please, someone, anyone, post a coin damaged by toning. It can be an Ancient 2000 year old coin if you want, or a Modern nickel, I would like to see just one coin that natural toning has destroyed it. There is a difference in corrosion and toning, there is no way a coin will disappear in thin air, even if you're Houdini himself.

352sdeer likes this.
  11. GDJMSP

I searched 3 different places where those pics you reference were linked to - none of them work - and I have no idea why because they should.

In any event, the threads were posted are still there and members can read what was said. The links below take you to the specific posts made by desertgem, but read the whole threads.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/details-grading-for-dipped-coins.234913/#post-1770488

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/is-this-worth-300-00.233932/#post-1759537

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/he...t-posted-elsewhere.223542/page-3#post-1653840

And if you wish there is another thread, much older, that started or at least led to all of this. And there are some that are even older than that one, but it will suffice for it has high blow-up pictures of the different kinds of luster that various coins have. And every different type of coin there is has a different kind of luster. And the links to these pictures work.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/morgan-toning-vs-peace-toning.12578/

Now I never did save, to my regret, the pictures from Jim's thread. But I did save these. And since it takes so long for the pics to load using their links, I will post them here for you and save folks some time. Each one is referenced in the thread and I have tried to post them in order.

The first group are MS coins.

GroupPhoto.jpg

1898MorganLeftofM.jpg
    1923PeaceLeftofR.jpg
    1924PeaceRightofR.jpg
    1942LibertyHalfRightofY.jpg
    1960FranklinProofLeftofE.jpg
    1964KennedyProofLeftofI.jpg
    2007EagleWUnc1stOin2007.jpg

12. GDJMSP

The second group are circulated coins.

126_2630.jpg 1963D circ Franklinabovedate (1).jpg 1964 circ KennedyChin1 (1).jpg 1968 circ KennedyDRightofI.jpg

13. CamaroDMD

I don't have any in my collection...or I would post a photo of one. I can try and find a photo though.

But, there is no difference between toning and corrosion just like there is no difference in conservation and cleaning. One word just makes us feel better verses the other.

Toning is corrosion. It's oxidation of the metal surface.

14. GDJMSP

Yes, they will, and many have. But it takes a very, very long time.

That said, the vast majority of all coins that any of you have ever seen that show signs of corrosion, that corrosion was caused by toning. Are there exceptions ? Of course, salt water for example corrodes coins, so does being buried in the ground. Any and all silver coins toned black, they're corroded - by the toning. That is why they call it terminal toning ! Everybody knows this. And yes, some coins are corroded by coming into accidental contact with foreign materials. But the numbers of all of those pale in comparison to those corroded by toning.

15. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

This is a coin that I bought when I was very young and foolish. I got it at my first coin show - the price was crazy cheap, and there was so much detail! But, when I got it home under the light, something felt wrong. The luster was dull and muted, not bright and flashy like it was supposed to. I sold it off in a bulk lot of silver a long time ago, but I still have the pictures - and I can still remember the dull, ugly surfaces.
    JPA650 obverse.jpg

16. Hommer

But it's not terminal.

17. physics-fan3.14

What do you mean "terminal?" There was no luster left - the coin was a flat, dull, matte surface. I don't know how much more terminal you can get.

18. Hommer

A better way to say it is that toning isn't erosion. Toning is a very thin layer, of which will protect the underlying metal from further oxidation, if you dip that coin and strip the protective layer off you are eroding the surface and you have exposed it to further oxidation. Please tell me how stripping this protective layer from the surface is in any way conserving it. I believe that is a term used for self justification.

19. Hommer

So dipping this coin would be considered conserving it? If it had been dipped in it's previous life, it wouldn't be a misfit now?

20. physics-fan3.14

I think that is the whole point - dipping will remove that layer, and is thus not conservation. That's the difference between conserving and cleaning a coin. Very few people would claim that dipping is conserving.

21. physics-fan3.14

You misunderstand me: dipping it has damaged it. It has no luster left, because it was dipped in its past (before I bought it).

Draft saved Draft deleted