Do you buy Precious Metals because you don't know how to invest?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by myownprivy, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Tokens

Tokens Member

Your statement was that anyone who asked a bullion hoarder to articulate their strategy was either a burglar or a troll.

That statement is absurd.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CasualAg$

CasualAg$ Corvid Minions Collecting

Seriously? Check out a history book. Has truth ever persuaded anyone to avoid a war? To not deprive others of their rights? To not abuse children? Truth usually is accompanied by a victim or two...

If you know all about investments, why waste time preaching it to the hoi palloi? Spend your time getting richer. I’d rather write about coins and bullion and be persuaded by others who enjoy them too.

twoshadows likes this.
  4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It may be, but that was not my complete statement:

"Continuation of such personal information is the hallmark of a troll or a burglary ring, so people's business ( on both spectrums ") is their business unless they give out the info"

hallmark meaning: 1. a typical characteristic or feature of a person or thing:

You do not have to agree with me, but at least do not misquote nor paraphrase.
    Jim

5. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

@Tokens is that a reference to EXO tokens or cryptos?

6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

+1

LOL, yes they are shiny pretty things aren't they :)

"investing" perceptions and definitions vary wildly by one's upbringing, what they are exposed to over time (both economically and educationally/informationally), how they interpret market information, etc etc.

In dealing with helping ppl to correct their finances it's important to understand people may "research" things, but once they get an "idea" or "concept" in their head they continue to research that idea/concept (for self-positive reinforcement in a false positive scenario) even if the idea/concept is skewed. (ie, just look up Flat Earth and their false positive research).

So chatting about "investing" online is a losing proposition (except for Economic forums where it's a cat fight, but in a dull, deathly boring way).

7. Tokens

Tokens Member

Neither. Tokens = collectible coins (a specific type).

I sold my $50'ish bitcoin at $600. Regret that.

8. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

You done went poked the GEM I see.. and he calmed it down.. not his first rodeo...

9. Tokens

Tokens Member

There's no point arguing with people about certain things. Like, a semantic argument that he true emphasis of his was the word "hallmark" and not implying that someone asking about metals was a 'burglar or a troll'.

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

If people wish to openly discuss their techniques, that is their business. If they do not, that is also their business. If someone just says because it is shiny, that is also their business. Anyone can have 0 ounces of bullion and say they have made millions off of it, and who besides themselves could say for sure. Yes people can doubt it strongly and a question about method is then appropriate or just ignored, but one's business is always one's business. When one has been on the forum long enough you learn how to separate the ones who know and the ones who don't in each personal opinion.. I have no argument with anyone's theories as long as they follow the rules and have respect for all members whether they think they are right or wrong. Everyone is suppose to be here to learn and the moderators have been chosen to make it so for the administration who provides this forum for us. Of course, I am said to be pro-bullion as well as anti-bullion depending on which side the participant is, but that is true with any moderator or referee. I thank everyone who so participates. Jim

twoshadows and CasualAg$ like this.
  11. twoshadows

twoshadows Member

I think the most important factor of any kind of investing is setting a goal, don't buy more than you can afford for long term, set a sell price and plan on holding for the long term. If your investment should double (we all hope for that) it is time to sell half of it and your remaining holdings are free and clear. Up or down doesn't matter as it is your PROFIT when you decide to sell. I like PM's as I will not pay anyone to manage my account and there is no middle man winning when I may be losing! We all have goals and dreams so do what makes you feel good and run with it. If you are old as I am you learn everything runs in big cycles and PM's are way past due to rise to the top again and I am patiently waiting! lol

CasualAg$ and longnine009 like this.
  12. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Good to see you again @twoshadows
    Welcome to "The Greatest Show on Earth" room. Not only can Henry the Horse dance the Waltz he probably made a million dollars last month in frolicking unicorns. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    twoshadows likes this.
  13. twoshadows

twoshadows Member

I am 67 years old and have done it all in my lifetime pertaining to stocks and PM's. I like PM's because I don't pay a middle man for making me money or losing me money and NO ONE else knows what I got, when I got it and where I keep it. And, should I need a few bucks for an emergency I don't have to pay someone to sell anything for me or wait on a check. I just find PM's more private and readily available should I need to convert and, quite honestly, I see it as a gift to my boys should my days end on this planet. I am comfortable with what I am doing and that is all that matters to each of us in the end. So enjoy what your doing and don't criticize anyone who doesn't understand what your doing or why. Money can be made or lost in any endeavor!

14. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

You are paying the middleman who mints it. Then you are paying the middleman dealer who marks it up. As a percentage (~5% on gold or ~10% over spot on silver) you are paying a higher markup than you would on CDs (0%) or advisory fees through on online broker selling etfs of stocks and/or bonds (under 2%).

If you bought any of those PMs with a credit card in person or online through any payment means, a forensic account knows exactly how much you have in PMs. It's no secret.

15. twoshadows

twoshadows Member

I don't buy stocks or PM's with a credit card or debit card and after the initial purchase I am paying NO more for that piece. I am fully aware of the process and the fact everyone has to make money but after it reaches my hands I will not be forced to pay again but am forced to wait until the market reaches my sale point or have a nice stash to pass onto my sons. If the market drops, so be it, as the cycle will start again and I STILL have my holdings.

CasualAg$ and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  16. myownprivy

You missed the other half of the point: do you buy pms online at all? If you do, there is a paper trail easily uncovered by forensic accounts. All web orders have a record, whether paid for by credit card, check, or echeck. Your bullion purchases are only completely private if you pay in person in cash. Outside of that, there's a trail.

17. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I would agree that we live in an age where some of our most intimate information is easily gleaned by others.. I have heard it said that if I use my credit card to purchase Big Macs or a pack of cigarettes that information will find its way to my life insurance company.... But I just have a hard time believing that the IRS is much interested in me buying $500.00 in PM’s with my card. Now if I purchased 50k in PM’s with my card, yes I could see that. Just imagine the bureaucracy it would take to monitor every day in-day out purchase..... It may well be. But I sure can’t see it.

18. myownprivy

No one is monitoring it. But if you get divorced or audited or charged with tax fraud, your purchases that show your holdings in PM will be discovered just as easily as proving your holdings in traditional investments. So no one should think for even a second that their pms are more private than their stocks.

19. twoshadows

twoshadows Member

There is ABSOLUTELY no way anyone knows what PM's I am holding and they never will! I may be old but I am not stupid.

20. myownprivy

Have you purchased bullion online? If the answer is yes, then the answer is that someone can easily know you own PMs.

I'm sorry this news is shocking to you. But the reality is that our online purchases are easily recovered by a forensic accountant in the case of a divorce or criminal case involving tax fraud or the possibility of other hidden assets. Your PMs are NOT secret. Don't kid yourself.

21. twoshadows

twoshadows Member

I am an associate dealer so I buy for the shop as well as for myself. If you ask every thing I have ever purchased on line was sold or gifted! I own nothing and I like it that way! I bought some Eagles just last night to gift the kids or did I?

CasualAg$ likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted