Do you buy Precious Metals because you don't know how to invest?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by myownprivy, Mar 6, 2019.

1. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

Tokens I would say at first when I started I was that guy ( no skill aimlessly buy metal) but after reading the site trying to get a feel for the site and the metals. I set the air...…... after reading several threads.. I researched more looked things up allot more and I think that skill alone helped me... So I say there some skill in buying..............

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
    Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Well, based on that argument, it takes no skill to aimlessly purchase anything..... Only deep pockets.

4. Tokens

Tokens Member

Correct, but people who aimlessly purchase things don't do so on the basis of their aimless vintage cassette tape collection is an 'investment' because of elaborate- but unsubstantiated- theories.

5. Tokens

Tokens Member

There is no skill in buying.
    There is skill in 'understanding' things but if we audited what you really understood about your purchases and how they interrelated to other economic/value drivers, do you think you'd come out as being a credibly informed person?

Or, just someone who aimlessly buys metals but learned a few boilerplate talking points from fellow travelers on a bullion forum?

6. Randy Abercrombie

Darn... Is it time for me to throw out my 8-tracks??..... Seriously, I would bet most here are rather like me. I fell in love with old coins as a mere lad fifty years ago. I aimlessly purchased old coins for probably twenty years. With time and involvement came wisdom and maturity. The cross over to silver/gold purchases were simply another avenue for me to enjoy what I enjoy. And if I leave the cash in the bank it will appear in my wife's closet as yet more clothes she won't wear...... But seriously, collecting/stacking or whatever you choose to call it is a growth curve. Rather like driving a car. Thirty years ago, yes my purchases were aimless. Today, they are very calculated and investigated.

Clawcoins and slackaction1 like this.
  7. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

You should know that. You know everything else.

8. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

If you didn't want to answer you could have ignored it. But by choosing to answer it with "none of your business" you are clearly super defensive about it. What's wrong? Are you feeling like you've maybe made a mistake with your purchasing?

We're all here to learn and help each other. How I initially posted this thread may have come across as arrogant and condescending, but the purpose was to get people to reconsider their actions and seek advice from experts (not on this forum) for help investing. PMs are no substitute for traditional investing!

9. Tokens

Tokens Member

Exactly. You have absolutely no clue, you're precisely the sort of person being addressed here. You buy shiny metal discs and then buy more because more is better and metals are good.

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Many here may have a lot to learn about investing, but you apparently have a lot to learn about persuasive techniques.

Insulting people is a great way to stir up flame wars. For presenting useful information, it's really sub-optimal.

Just a helpful suggestion...

Kentucky and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  11. Tokens

Tokens Member

The truth is persuasive enough.

12. Randy Abercrombie

Ah yes.... Back when I was a guitar God I too was young and quite cocky. Funny thing how life chose to reward me once I learned a little something of grace and humility.

JPeace$ likes this.
  13. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

^clickee to expand.

**Also known as continuity of the status quo which metals are swaps against. That's the whole rub with you. Metals are swaps against the world according to privy.**

CasualAg$ likes this.
  14. Tokens

Tokens Member

Here's an interesting example. One of the 'arguments' in favor of, say, 90% coinage is that it has an infrastructure advantage in inflationary situations, where it can be quickly repurposed as asset-backed 'money' while allowing streams of commerce and exchange to continue in a monetary context.

Venezuela had circulating silver bullion coinage even after the US did away with it.

Venezuela is experiencing severe hyper-inflation.

There are no credible reports of Venezuelans resorting to 'old silver coins' as money, but rather other forms of more trusted fiat currency.

The most contemporary example we have of the 'doomsday metals' narrative is ongoing, as we speak, yet that narrative is not substantiating in real world terms, in the exact context that doomsday metals types say is its day to shine.

You can say that metals are a 'swap' against something but there are too many contemporary indicators to suggest that narrative doesn't play out.

So what are you swapping against? And what's the opportunity cost of your hoarding metal discs, relative to other incredibly simple investment opportunities that would've yielded vastly superior returns?

$10K invested in silver 10 years ago is worth about the same then as it is today (but that $10K has $8500 worth of buying power, now)

$10K in an index fund 10 years ago is worth $31K now

Metals as a pivot relative to other opportunities can make sense, but you almost never hear "metals bugs" talking about any of that stuff. it's just something about how "muh money is kept in silver, brass and lead!!"

15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Just ask any marketing professional! :rolleyes:

CasualAg$ likes this.
  16. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

For those who have been on the forum since 2010, these post lately are deja vue of the ones that led to Peter's alternative site www. partisanlines. com being formed. No one seems to like to go there because everyone else is just like themselves. Know-it-all politicans, pro bullionists , anti bullionists, and trolls. If some of you continue along current lines, you may find yourself 0ver there so you guys can argue whatever side you wish.

If you ask a member questions about their holding or intentions for the future, I recommend they answer " Not your business". Continuation of such personal information is the hallmark of a troll or a burglary ring, so people's business ( on both spectrums ") is their business unless they give out the info. Also cut out the innuendos of intelligence based on your/their financial situation. It is likely just intended as an insult which is getting tiresome. Play nice !!, If you think CT is unfair, try a different site, you'll likely be back. Jim

17. Tokens

Tokens Member

No, it isn't.
    It's to illustrate that in most all cases, bullion hoarders have no answer to those questions because they're not things they've ever considered, even though they're utterly standard metrics for anyone who is actually investing in something.

I can happily say that my % holdings have been increased from the old 5% (considered high) to 10%, which is considered severely overweight by all conventional metrics.

My exit points scale as follows:

Cost Basis = X
    Portfolio = Y

X + 50% = 25% of Y
    X + 100% = 50% of Y
    X + 125% = 25% of Y
    X + 200% = 25% of Y
    After that, I may be a buyer again.

Absolutely no fear of 'trolls' or 'burglars' in saying this... and if the culture of this forum is running off anyone who understands this stuff as a "know it all", then the consequence is creating a circle of fools.

18. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Please respond to this rather than my topic post. I'd edit my tone if I could, but posts can no longer be editted after a couple hours of posting.

-jeffB and Kentucky like this.
  19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Fair statement. I'm lousy at investing, that's why I put my 401/403 with a money manager who knows his stuff...except for a bit we have n CD's. My coin stuff is strictly play...that is unless you want to make me an offer...:)

20. Silver Eagle

Silver Eagle Likes The Feel of Money

I bought Peapod when it looked like the future of food delivery. Peapod went bankrupt came back after a couple years but it was too late for me my money was gone.

Bought Apple at $16 / share, sold it at $124 / share but it continued to go up.

I then put my money in Mutual Funds, stock and bond funds. Saw the market go up, then down in March 2009. The market hit bottom but I did not panic just left the money alone. That money is growing nicely now.

I have money in ETF's as well as Mutual Funds. I did buy some AT&T stock and Ford stock mostly for the dividends but that is as far as I'm willing to go with individual stocks.

Saw a 30 minute TV ad on the 1986 - 2016 Silver Eagles set and decided to investigate further to discover THEIR price was about $500 more than other sellers for the exact same set.:jawdrop:

I purchased more silver coins and rounds so now I have a small silver investment to round out my portfolio.
    BTW: The wife was not too thrilled with the Silver Eagles until she noticed how shiny they were. LOL

21. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

My statement stands. If there was any record anyone could rely on actions that were always correct either direction ( Other than their declaration of such) it would have been known already. You are welcome to claim such a person is "X" or "Y" or one's self, but do not use your estimation of ability to hammer others if they disagree. Discussion is not a "I am right and you are always wrong. For example "
    The truth is persuasive enough." is like someone saying only my version of XXXXX is correct. No declarative reasons" The truth is persuasive enough.because you claim to ? Lighten up.
    Thanks
    Jim

CasualAg$ likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted