Do you buy Bullion or Numismatic Gold Coins and why?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by fretboard, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Where ya gonna be posting them?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

I haven’t purchased any pre-1933 gold coins for probably ten years. Many years ago I set a goal of how much gold and silver I needed “just in case” — and once that goal was reached my interest shifted to numismatic coins.

4. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

I'm sorry Randy, I thought the message: "I would also suggest watching Craigslist offerings, as over many years I've had my best experiences in that venue, when using "common sense" caution.

I'm culling duplicates, and about to list raw and certified Gold EF-MS61 Gold Eagles at prices from spot to spot + 8.7%, where people travel from state to state purchasing these "deals" in protected locations." might indicate my preference and post location, namely Craigslist.

Generally, buyers on Craigslist know what they want, realize that photos are unnecessary, often misleading. If they meet their partner in a proper location, they will have answers to whatever question, other than what are the items and price.

The believed coins to be sold upon being located will potentially be: All Liberty $10 Gold, as stated. 1879S AU Raw @ $760 (~ melt + 4%), 1881S NGC MS61 @ $795 (~ melt + 8.7%), 1885S EF Raw @ $731 (~ melt), 1888S AU Raw @ $760 (~ melt + 4%), 1891 NGC MS60 @ $785 (~ melt + 7.3%).

They would meet me in Minnesota, or I can list them on Ebid, where s/h, and feedback are resolved for mutual satisfaction.

I trust this answers your general inquiry. Rich

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  5. Randy Abercrombie

I am quite guilty of "speed reading" everything except for the content that is of personal interest to me!

6. imrich

That makes at least 2 of us. JMHO Rich

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yeah, but if I wanted to interact with people, I'd take up a people hobby. Interacting with people is part of the price I pay to participate in the hobby, but it's a cost I try to minimize. :bag:

8. Randy Abercrombie

I hear you 100%. I am the definition of a loner. My wife hates my solitude as a happy hermit..... But it is undeniable that relationships equate to more favorable transactions.

-jeffB likes this.
  9. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Absolutely true! :D I've bought a number of coins off of CL, if you use common sense it can be as safe as buying coins any where else. There are many people just like us selling on CL. That said, I've never been able to buy gold only silver on CL, I've seen gold coins listed but the seller is almost always in the SF area and I don't want to drive that far. I've met some very good people on CL, that said there are CL flakes but you can usually spot them a mile away if you're paying attention! :D

imrich likes this.
  10. imrich

On the average, I've met far more considerate transactional partners on Craigslist than any other venue I've tried. There is no eBay or other system where you can't directly communicate with your business partner. Both can establish all criteria for transfer prior to an initial meeting. Many return as a future customer, and also inform others of their experiences.

I generally found that residents of large urban areas may be trouble, generally if they wanted you to meet them at a location of their choice. All transactions were eventually established at an intermediate location where security could be realized for all. Only the 2 parties transacting were allowed to meet for transfer.

The establishment of the eBid intermediate process was necessitated for long distance facilitation of large sum transfers. A partner is more at ease when they are shown 4 digit 100% feedback, and decades of transactions without neutral or negative comments.

Craigslist is believed a venue for meeting just to transfer components, generally taking a matter of minutes to effect. It is not for indecisive individuals. In the past it was believed a common resource for singular "intimate" connections.

JMHO

Draft saved Draft deleted