Do I place an order for some silver, or wait for the impending drop?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by myownprivy, Dec 3, 2017.

1. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

I apologize in advance for a thread all about my own thinking, but I imagine at least someone else is in the same boat.

I want to place an order tonight for some silver, but I strongly suspect when ALL the markets open tomorrow that we'll see a drop.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

I'd say it depends on the quantity. If it's 10-20 oz, what do you stand to save in the morning? Maybe $5-$10 if it's a $0.50 drop?

Do you think it might be over a dollar less tomorrow or is the quantity high? Then consider waiting.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Unless you're ordering thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars worth of silver, I don't think you'll get hurt too badly. Of course, if you plan to sell it tomorrow, it might be a different story.

Chris

ddddd likes this.
  5. losthomer

losthomer Active Member

Shouldn't you be shorting it on paper if your certain of a drop?

6. Kevin wu

Kevin wu Well-Known Member

If you hold silver for long-term , price around $ 17 oz always good to buy . I am all in for silver now .

asheland likes this.
  7. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Odd how you have no problem telling everyone else how to spend their money but you can't tell yourself how to spend yours?

Clawcoins likes this.
  8. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Buy High, Sell Low.
    errr .. or is it the other way around ??

Silver doesn't really change too much. So just pick a max price you would pay for the type of silver you plan on buying and just wait for the amount to be at or under it. Right now it's a "good" price as it's not too high.

9. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

You should not be buying silver if you don't anticipate a large future gain. So what difference does a small drop now make?

10. myownprivy

Silver did drop this morning. I expect it to increase long term. I buy when it is low. Today is one of those days, but I think I will wait for a bigger drop. I have no plans to sell my silver for many, many years.

11. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

12. Clawcoins

I've been holding off getting a tube of 2017 ASEs
    think the time is about right ...

they look so pretty .. and hopefully in 15 years will be worth at least $18 oz on avg. :)

ha .. all of a sudden the premium increased for the ASEs on provident. LOL
    I'd love to know their algorithm for determining their selling prices.

13. Kevin wu

Kevin wu Well-Known Member

Lol $ 18 oz in 15 years should be easy , right now stock market is huge bubbles and US debt is rising , and every thing is in bubbles , in next 10 years it will break down , maybe not even take that long .

14. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

15. Clawcoins

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Curtisimo likes this.
  16. myownprivy

Well, bought a tube of random date Maples.

I will be ecstatic if it's a full tube of the same date. However, it will also be fun if they are random to see what I get.

Argenteus Fossil likes this.
  17. Rono

Rono Senior Member

Howdy,

I've been in an acquire mode for decades now and can't image stopping. It seems to happen that the POS (POG) drops around year end because it's always a great time to buy my annual silver rounds.

That said, conventional wisdom holds that with long term investing, one should Dollar Cost Average. By this, they mean you making a purchase on a regular periodic basis, each time spending the same amount (e.g. $1000 every month). By investing this way, you average out the cost at which you're acquiring the asset which - over the long run - results in the lowest cost.

Note that in the short run, should you be so inclined, my favorite method is to Momentum invest. This method starts with you identifying some sector/asset class that is starting to diverge from the rest of the market. You make a small purchase and watch to see what it does. If it stays flat or drops, you sit tight. If it drops too much you bail. However, if it goes up, you add a little more. If it goes up further, you continue to add. Let's say you plan to invest $10K in the play. You start with $2500, add $2500 and then the remaining $5K. You add IFF it goes up in value. You're scaling in to your play. And the opposite is true for exiting. You set a mental stop loss of 10-20% depending upon the volatility of the play. It drops that and you start selling. If it continues to drop, you continue to sell.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono

18. myownprivy

That is excellent advise. It is the strategy I follow for buying full ounce gold Maples every year. I buy a set amount each year.

However, with silver being almost throwaway cheaper, I gamble a bit more and buy when prices seem low. So far, my average price paid is pretty low.

19. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

IMHO, attempts at timing the precious metal market, or any market for that matter, is like attempting to wrangle a water bug. Or nailing jello to the wall (I heard that phrase recently and was bound and determined to use it!).

:)

20. Fender Bender

Fender Bender Member

I bought one ounce of silver in 1981 for $18 US.

I still get a laugh to see it at approximately the same US dollar price today, 36 years later.

Not as funny as nailing jello to a wall though. I might try that next.

DUNK 2 likes this.
  21. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Just be glad you only bought one. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted