Do any bullion dealers have Nickel?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by xCoin-Hoarder'92x, Jan 16, 2016.

1. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Particularly in bar form. Not interested in small pieces/rounds. It is always very easy to find Copper but I don't like that metal and have been buying lots of .999 nickel coins from the pre-Euro era Europe. I want to start getting into bars of solid nickel. Can I find this anywhere? Also, if possible, any nickel that is not for high premiums? (Copper is overpriced anywhere I look)

I have a high interest in Nickel because it usually performs better than other base metals on the market (also hoarding European coinage amplified my interest). Copper never moves, at least not in the last couple decades. Currently Nickel is seeing a 12+ year low in prices and this looks like a great time to buy some. I see that silver is low too, but I am running slightly lower on cash flow. I wouldn't mind adding a base metal to my collections. :)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

4. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

5. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

Thats really cool! I might just tell everyone I want to collect these for my Bday/xmas.

6. littlehugger

littlehugger Active Member

http://www.exportersindia.com/indian-suppliers/nickel-ore.htm
    Alternatively, you can get rolls of nickels at the bank, although they are only 25% nickel, and 75% copper. The mint loses money on nickels, so you can stock up at a government discount, and the weight/purity is known. In a pinch, you can even spend them.
    If anyone finds a place to buy them in coin form, at a reasonable price, let us know

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  7. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

8. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

Looks like the premiums for Titanium is higher than Copper. Base metals are almost impossible to get into. :p

9. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I think that with small amounts, you're right - base metals have too high of premiums. Maybe you could buy a large amount on a commodities market. Industrial nickel, or something.

10. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

I know very little about Titanium. Would it be safe to handle a bar with your bare hands? Or is it one of those "put gloves and a hazmat suit on" types? ;)

11. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I would think that's the only way to make any money in a base metal is with commodities like you said .

12. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

They put titanium inside people who have shattered bones , so it must be safe . They also make rings out of titanium . Though I'd love to have a chemist confirm this for me .

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321976710693?item=321976710693&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466&rmvSB=true

You will probably get a selection if you search "nickel ingot".

Chris

14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It is as safe or safer than any alternative material if based on strength, inertness, etc., plus it can also help integrate the new growth of bone in contact with it. However, the literature has reports of immunological reactions, especial if there is bio-erosion of a surface that releases 'nano' sized particles, so other than letting the bones or granny's hip try to heal by themselves ( Not very likely ) there is no other clear choice.

Actually our exposure to Titanium oxide in paint , cosmetics, sun protection, etc is far more extensive, and causes more undesirable reaction, even brain cell problems, but most is not under FDA control as it is a supplement level material. IMO.

15. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Just looked up nickle bullion melt value - as of yesterday, 1-15-2016,
    3.77$ a POUND! Doesn't seem like much of an investment.

16. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

If I held onto my Dutch and French coins I bet that's one way to profit off of nickel. Back in 2007-2008 wasn't it as high as $25 /lb? Not saying it will be that high, but anywhere in the $10-$15 would be more than I spent on all of my collections.

17. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

That's right now. Nickel used to be several times that not long ago.

18. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

19. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

I came across that site a few times. If their 1 pound bags of Dutch Guilders were $5 each I may consider. ;)

I know a dealer from Netherlands I've been emailing over the last couple years, he offers me thousands of coins for just above scrap value. And sometimes I scour ebay for bulk lots. Usually the winning bids aren't too high.

20. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Yup, I got one

21. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

One word...cardboard

rzage and xCoin-Hoarder'92x like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted