Do 40% halves have a place in your stack?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by myownprivy, Apr 12, 2019.

1. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Pros: silver obtained at or under spot.
    Pros: Easy to obtain quantity and complete a roll
    Cons: buyback spread similar or worse than other silver (probably lose 20% off spot selling to dealer)
    Cons: take up lots of space

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I have about $600 F/V in 40%ers that I pulled from CRH. Just waiting to off load them at the right price.

abuckmaster147 and Seattlite86 like this.
  4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Only 40% halves I keep are those that plug holes in my book. Now if one found it's way to me in the wild, I would hang on to it. But as far as my silver stacks, not something I look for at all.

5. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

If acquired through bulk purchases or CRH, they are sold to fund 90% or 99% or numismatics coins.

Bman33 likes this.
  6. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

I’ll buy them when the price is right but they have no place in my personal collection. I’ve probably made more money off of 40% half’s than any other form of PMs.

7. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

I keep a roll of uncirculated 1969 halves. Other than that, I don't buy 1960s halves as bullion, but, any I happen to find in circulation I definitely keep. After all, the're worth 3x/4x face value.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  8. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

My general rule is to purchase them for <$2 and I will not actively buy them, but put that cap when I’m buying a coin lot and 40%ers are there as well. I don’t mind them, but I’d rather have war nickels when it’s 40%.

Rheingold likes this.
  9. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

Sorry, no stacking, just for my Dansco 7070 as a Type coin.....but here I choose the 1970D.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

I have yet to ever sell one!!! I have a old maybe teabag container with a lockable lid I add to it when ever I find them. One of those thingy's you would find on a kitchen counter with sugar,Flour, and such in.

Legomaster1 and Seattlite86 like this.
  11. hcmusicguy

hcmusicguy Member

Me too. Except I occasionally have a small stack of them that comes and goes.

12. Don P

Don P Active Member

Nope. Sold all of my 40% and 90% Kennedy's and converted to ASEs. ASEs tend to hold their value better and easier to liquidate---just from my experience.

13. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I don't have much use for silver anymore, finding it entirely too bulky versus its value. The only 40% I have anymore is a roll of 70 D's I hold on to due to numismatic value.

The "pro" you listed, (being able to buy at or below melt), is really a strong indication of the real "con" here. The smelting charge to extract the silver is very high, so you will always sell them at a considerable discount. I effectively traded mine for 90% back when I was stacking silver. I haven't gotten rid of what I have for silver, I just don't have any more room really for more. Only numismatic purchases, like one ounce coins with animals for the kids, get added to "the pile" anymore.

Don P likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted