Dime miss clad layer???

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Kellyrae18, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Kellyrae18

Kellyrae18 Member

Both sides are the same color as a penny. For some reason i only took a picture of the front

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Can you get a pic close up on his cheeck?

4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I see what @Smojo is talking about, it looks like there's some clad on his cheek. I'm thinking this took an acid bath. I stupidly bought one of these raw off eBay and now I keep it as a teaching tool since it wasn't actually an error.

Smojo likes this.
  5. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

If you have a scale that measures grams this coin should weigh 2.27 grams if it is significantly less than that maybe , I think something was done to remove the clad layer on this coin though.

6. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Yes. I got a quarter (Guam) in change one day looked just like this. For some dumb reason still have it.
    As a matter of fact if you go back 3 or 4 months I wasn't sure what it was. Posted a thread asking. I got my but handed to me with the replies. But ya ain't gonna learn if ya don't ask.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    Stevearino, TJ1952 and Seattlite86 like this.
  7. Kellyrae18

Kellyrae18 Member

Thanks for the info everyone. I very much appreciate it

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Do you have a scale that will measure the weight to at least two decimal places (0.00)?

Chris

9. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

I agree like to see a close-up. It reminds me of this one that I have on my fake dime alert thread.:blackalien: 06p10c-3.jpg

10. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Wow usmc60 that's not just ugly, that's shiny ugly.

11. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

ok_face.gif You should like this one.:blackalien:

Attached Files:

12. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Don't know why it amazes me, but why fake a dime? I know I've seen fakes of some cheap ancients. Leaves scratching my head dumbfounded. :banghead:

13. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I'm dumbfounded as well, but is because of his insistence on continually referring to a perfectly genuine dime as being "fake" when, at best, it has simply been altered.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/dime-fake-alert.278630/

Nothing personal against the gentleman, but misinformation, especially on a forum populated by many new/newer to the hobby, rightly needs to be countered.

KoinJester likes this.
  14. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I remember that thread. I didn't reply on it but remember when it got posted.
    Some images you just can't get out of your head, lol.

15. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

book I personally don't know why you got a burr under your saddle. I'm sure everyone knows the dime is a real dime. But to me when someone tries to alter a coins appearance by what ever means. To present that coin for something that it is not it to me personally is a fake. Example books I was in the Philippines you don't know how many times I've had someone try to sell me a Rolex watch. Yes Brooks the watch was a watch it looked like a watch and it function like a watch. But it was not a Rolex. In that case I called that a fake Rolex. It looked like a Rolex but it wasn't. The dime had the appearance of a missing clad layers. Do to someone's alteration, To me personally I would say someone's trying to alter a dime to look like missing clad layers._(Fake). Brooks frankly your starting to irritate the hell out of me. I personally think you ought I asked Peter to become a moderator. That way you can put on your tights and get on the computer and correct all this misinformation.lol:happy::happy::happy::happy::blackalien:

16. Cody Giovine

Cody Giovine New Member

I have this head-less penny. Is anyone interested. Email me. Thank you, I would appreciate some feedback

Attached Files:

17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Not fake usmc, altered is the only qualifier needed in that instance. When you call something like that fake, it is not the correct term. Nothing is fake. Its altered. Sure maybe to try to fool someone maybe not but it is still a genuine coin. Mixing terms that way only leads to arguments and the spread of misinformation to newbies so why do it?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  18. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

What part about a fake Rolex being, well, a fake (meaning NOT REAL) Rolex and a genuine coin being a genuine coin do you not get? Would you label as "fake" a perfectly genuine Rolex that some schmo had plated? No, you wouldn't; you'd call it "plated", "damaged", or "altered", so why is it so otherworldly difficult for you to grasp the same should hold true with coins? A Rolex isn't valuable because it's just a watch, but because it's a Rolex. Your example is more akin to someone trying to pass off a modern fake (coin) as the real deal, and has little connection to the issue at hand.

You're the one who has gone on about caring so much for newer collectors, yet seem oblivious to the FACT that you very well could be confusing the very individuals you wish to be helping. If you wish to label your plated dimes as "fake" in your personal collection, that's fine. If you want to call your dog a cat in the privacy of your own home, it's your call, but it's time to accept that in this hobby the term "fake" shold not be applied to simply altered coins.

Oh, and if I'm getting on your nerves, too bad. As long as you insist on posting indisputable misinformation, I'm going to counter it. The fact that I'm not the first who has promised to do this should suggest something to you. I couldn't give a rat's behind if it bothers you; those coming here for solid advice/info deserve better than what you're giving them. This forum already has enough crap spewed on it, so please do consider not adding to the problem, especially over something this ridiculous.

19. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

One word can have a variety of meanings to different people. One word can have different definitions depending on the individual you ask. So my interpretation difference from yours. Get over it. Suck it up move on. And to me you fall into the one category that a columnist once said about Internet form wannabe professionals trying to be something they are not. You and other wannabes on this site fit that statement perfectly. I personally have a names for someone who's pretending to be someone they're not. You all seem to be well educated and proficient in the knowledge of all the book learning. But bottom line you're still a wannabe- poser- pretender-(fake)This conversation ends (now)USMC60:blackalien:

20. Dans Coins

Dans Coins Member

i can make more if someone needs any, or you can make your own...peroxide, vinegar, lemon juice, soak for 24hr.s check it out

21. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

I understand what both of you are saying. But I live in the everyday world of reality. Example this past weekend sitting at my favorite restaurant for breakfast. I had a gentleman walk up to me and introduced himself. He stated that he overheard me and my friend last week discussing coins. He had found this coin in pocket change, it looked unusual to him so he held onto it. He handed me the quarter and like a majority of others have done in the past he asked me if it was a real coin or a (fake) now I could've spent the next half hour explaining all the technical BS with this gentleman. All he really cared about was it real or not. I explained to the gentleman His quarter was a PMD. He looked at me like I was from Mars and asked politely what a PMD was, I had to step back and rephrase my statement the quarter that he had picked up Was a severe case a roadkill. The gentleman smiled and looked at me and said oh I understand now. Sometimes you just have to take a step backwards and not be so technical. Keep it simple. And if you and the other members haven't figured it out by now, my threads are meant for the every day people. And not for you Anal-retentive wannabes. Do not get me wrong. You book educated wannabes are a valuable asset to coin talk and for the young collectors that just started to get them on the right track. But you are lacking in your skills, in accomplishing getting new people into collecting errors. Plain and simple you do not speak their language. And as far as I'm concerned this conversation has ended.USMC60:blackalien:

Draft saved Draft deleted