Difference between red and brown copper toning?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrjason71, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Chill. Wheres the love Buddy

352sdeer and Kentucky like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Boarder line thread highjacking I’d say. Some one get a rope!
    Hey don’t fight it just start a new thread. Looks like you have
    some good research just post it on your new thread and see
    what kind of responses you get @Buddy Love

4. Colonialjohn

Colonialjohn Active Member

All the colors I previously reported in terms of copper colors I have seen in worn down corroded Large Cents or copper U.S. Colonial State Coppers. Chlorine and sulfur in combination with copper creating this myriad of compounds producing these different colors of copper compounds mostly copper oxides/sulfides/chlorides. For the average collector what does it matter and the one just collecting slab Lincolns in the 20thC. This is a very small spectrum of observation involving just one oxide of copper = RED = the color we all LOVE in copper coins regardless of the Century we collect ... LOL. JPL.

5. mrjason71

mrjason71 Active Member

Whoa I had no idea this thread was still going. I think my original question/thread was a bit of a cluster. Half mixing scientific wonderings with my layman's understanding. So I can understand both kinds of responses--and welcome both.

Thank you GDJMSP (as always)...

And thank you Buddy Love (please dont leave ;)

And thanks to everyone who is here to teach and help...

I believe I thought that red was untoned copper through various shades of toned copper until it reached brown. Like say its salmon to begin with and now is orange...I still consider that red. Why? Because this is what Ive observed--my observation could be incorrect. It looks to me that many coppers in slabs are RD but are NOT the color they were Day One...I am going to have to restructure my whole way of looking at this if it is not correct. Are you saying the moment copper tones one shade away from what it was the moment it was minted it is no longer RD?

My experiment was with a handful of random cents...some pre-82, some post-82, some cleaned, some unc...It was far from scientific!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2017
  6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

All coins, copper, silver, nickel, copper-nickel, even gold, begin toning the moment they are minted. So in a purely technical sense all of them are toned at least to some extent by the time you or anyone else sees them.

Now as to what is considered Red and what isn't - you're kinda on the right track. Rarely are the first stages of toning enough to prevent a coin from being called Red. But since toning also rarely occurs over the entire surface of the coin at the same time, in other words, toning usually occurs at the outer edges or on in selective places on the coins - not everywhere equally - that is why the definition of Red is what it is - 95% or more original mint red.

That said, in today's world the TPGs are much more lenient than they used to be and so darker shades of red are often still given the Red designation. Realize however that doesn't really mean the designation is warranted because copper is either original mint red or it isn't.

7. mrjason71

mrjason71 Active Member

You know...I am still wondering about this lol. I was Googling some more still trying to figure it out. I came across my own question and re-read it with fresh eyes. Such a hard question to ask--to convey.

I wouldn't open this back up but for seeing a means to help me ask the question better in GDJMSP's last reply where he says. "...darker shades of red are often still given the Red designation." This is what I want to know about. These darker shades of red. A coin is newly minted. It goes through these darker shades of red. It becomes brown. Does it become brown because of the same forces that darkened the red to "darker shade of red"? Is it all cupric oxide? Or are different kinds of oxide causing different colors: cuprous = "darker shades of red" and cupric = brown/black?

Maybe I need to take a chem class ;)

Maybe this thought experiment would help. Imagine you want to watch a newly minted copper coin go through all these darker shades of red all the way until it is a common brown coin. Could you set up a single set of conditions that could accomplish this over time? Or would you need two different sets of conditions--one to go through the darker shades of red and then another to turn it brown? Is brown just the darkest shade of red?

Probably just confused things more. My apologies for not knowing I simpler way of asking this. Dont hate me!

Kentucky likes this.
  8. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Time.

Eventually they all patina to this:

DSC_0621.JPG

9. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

Several years ago (maybe many, depends on perspective) there was an attempt by folks at the SLCC and others to describe "RD" more thoroughly since RD encompasses such a wide range of shades. IIRC, RD was broken down into a 4 or 5 point range. Thus RD1 was "fresh mint red", and as the coin toned toward brown it passed through RD2/3/4. Eventually the darkest red color still considered RD was RD4 or RD5. I still have 2x2's graded according to obverse and reverse RDx designations.

The concept never really caught on. Probably too subjective.

10. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

It's probably a lot more complex than just simple oxidation. There's a lot of stuff floating around that loves to react with copper. So it may depend on where he coin ends up. Plus some of the color change may be due to the thickness of the patina as well as it's composition.

I think there just too many variables to provide a simple answer.

11. GDJMSP

Answer to your question - yes.

But, for practical purposes, right there's where you need to stop your question. I'm saying that because in the end it doesn't matter if it's this oxide or that oxide or some other -ide, or -ate, or, or, or. The only thing that matters is that it is all, from beginning to end, just another stage of the toning as it progresses.

Now if your interest is in the actual chemistry and of how one compound can change into another compound, well then I can understand your question continuing on into the various chemical compounds that may be formed. And that this or that one may cause reds, or blues, or browns, or whatever other color.

But for the purposes of coin collecting - what difference does it make what the chemical compounds are ? As collectors all we need to know is that toning occurs, and that with copper that red goes from red to brown, and along the way it may also be any of several other and different colors. And we need to know that air is the enemy of coins - and that's really all we need to know - as coin collectors. And I say that because that tells what we need to do, or not do, as we store our coins. If you want toning - then leave a coin exposed to the air. If you don't want toning - them minimize exposure to the air as much as possible.

Do you understand what I'm trying to say ? It doesn't matter if it's this compound or that compound that is causing the toning - all that matters is that it is happening. You can't stop just this or that particular compound from forming - you have to stop all of them from forming. Or none of them of course.

12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Hey, I have an advanced degree in Chem and couldn't answer this...too many variables.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  13. mrjason71

mrjason71 Active Member

That's why I tried to give the thought experiment. Set up whatever conditions you want that will take a freshly minted coin through the darker stages of red. If left in those conditions will the coin ultimately turn brown?

14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

yes...ultimately, then possibly green.

15. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    paddyman98 said:
    It's not actually the color red.. It's just a numismatic term. Strange right?
    Here is a chart for you
    That chart isn't worth the combined face value of the coins pictured in it. No offense intended to you personally paddy, but I say that because there are only 2 coins in that chart (the 1st 2 left to right) that even qualify as Red.

If the toning has a Red tone then it is still considered RD.

16. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

I find it interesting that folks are saying that fresh cents are not "red". As a numismatic photographer, I can tell you emphatically that they indeed are very red. The R channel is very easy to over-expose with Cents, and to keep true color it's necessary to reduce saturation and overall exposure.

17. GDJMSP

In the everyday, common sense of the word they aren't red, not even close. This is red. Cents are copper colored, not red. But, in numismatics what red means is natural copper colored.

Now using the argument you want to use, copper colored is a shade of red. But then brown is a shade of red too. So using that kind of argument doesn't go very far.

Bottom line, there are only 3 primary colors, red, green, and blue. All other colors are shades of those 3 or mixes of shades from among those 3.

18. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

For hundreds of years the term "red cent" has been used. New Cents are a strong reddish shade. To say they are not even close is simply incorrect.

19. GDJMSP

But that isn't what I said. And if you don't understand what I did say, then please read it again.

20. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Air, and temperature swings from cold to warm?

21. GDJMSP

To me it's all a part of the same thing. Yes, temp plays a part, but so does moisture, and so do contaminants. And all of it is in the air.

Is all air the same ? Of course not. But take away the air, leave everything else, and there will be no toning - none.

But take away everything else, and leave the air, and there will still be toning.

Draft saved Draft deleted