Did i get a good deal on this plate ?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by adam5000, Sep 16, 2018.

1. adam5000

adam5000 Member

Did i get a good deal on this plate, I got it from Goodwill today. Its monogramed but i think it could be removed by a professional and restored to like-new condition. Its made by Tiffany & Co and is solid Sterling Silver. Its weight is 425 Grams. Paid $122.49.... Good deal or not ?

Attached Files:

Seattlite86 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Quit math in my head says you got it for less than $10 per oz?
    That’s not taking into account the fact that it’s sterling.
    So to answer your question...I don’t know.

4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I would say yes you did, as spot would be about $182 (this is what I use: http://coinapps.com/silver/gram/calculator/ and you can pull that up in the future if you want to buy silver). I don't know that Tiffany's adds any value since it's been monogrammed, but I don't collect such items. [Edit] Doubt it's worth restoring, but if you're going to go that route, you should find a subject matter expert on it before wasting any money.
    @ldhair

5. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

If you had a 20% coupon or some other discount to use on the purchase the answer would be "absolutely." But without one, you probably got a piece that you could resell to a coin shop for the silver content and make $20.

Good deal? I guess that depends on how much profit you wanted.

6. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

good buy?,you'll make a small profit reselling, restore it? eh, melt it down into bars and add to your silver stack....

7. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Lots of people collect Tiffany, before melting or making changes to the plate spend
    a few minutes using Google to search for Tiffany groups. After finding a group post your story and picture of the plate.

sterling is 92.5% silver which works out to appx 12.64oz X $14.20 = $179.29
    Intrinsic value may add sustainably to the selling price.

(I did not check my figures, I assume they are correct)

Draft saved Draft deleted