Diana Felix

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

While Artemis/Diana as huntress was a common motif in ancient coin iconography, coins bearing the reverse inscription DIANA FELIX (Happy Diana) are limited to those struck under Gallienus at the Mediolanum (Milan) mint. I think they are charming reverse types.

These coins feature two similar scenes on the reverse: an earlier type (struck AD 259-260), depicting Diana walking right, drawing an arrow from a quiver and holding a bow, and a later type (struck AD 264-265), depicting the goddess standing right, holding a spear and a bow. In both types, Diana is accompanied by a hound facing right at her feet in the right lower field.

The earlier type bears the obverse inscription IMP GALLIENVS AVG, whereas the later type reads IMP GALLIENVS AVG. Both the early and late issues, like many of Gallienus' coins, feature left-facing as well as right-facing portraits. Göbl, unsurprisingly, describes a number of variations in the portraits, which may depict the emperor's radiate head or radiate and cuirassed bust, and variations in the breadth of the head and whether or not both ribbons of the radiate crown are behind the portrait or whether one of the ribbons lies across his shoulder.

The latest addition to my Gallienus sub-collection is an example of the later type:

Gallienus DIANA FELIX antoninianus.jpg
    Gallienus, AD 153-268.
    Roman billon antoninianus.
    Mediolanum, AD 264-265.
    Obv: GALLIENVS AVG, Narrow radiate head right, both ribbons behind.
    Rev: DIANA FELIX, Diana standing right, holding spear and bow; at foot, hound.
    Refs: RIC 473K; Göbl 1146m(2): Cohen/RSC 173; RCV 10197; Hunter pl. lxvi.

For comparison, here is an example of a coin of the earlier type and with a left-facing, cuirassed bust (lot 752, Leu Numismatik Web Auction 2, December 3, 2017):

Gallienus DIANA FELIX antoninianus Leu.jpg

Let's see your Diana or Artemis coins or anything you feel is relevant!

ro1974, dlhill132, chrsmat71 and 20 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice! I agree about it being a very charming reverse type to find on a coin of this period. I'll be keeping my eye out for one.

Justin Lee and Roman Collector like this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice coins and write-up @Roman Collector ...

I have no Diana / Artemis from the Empire period. Mine are from the Republic... or from those who REBELLED from the Republic:

Capua - Defected to Hannibal in 216 BCE after the Battle of Cannae. Hannibal had promised that should Rome be destroyed, Capua would become the capital of Italia. Subsequently, when Rome retook Capua in 211 BCE, they punished the Capuans severely, and destroyed much of their coinage to erase any memory of Hannibal. Coins from Capua from this period are difficult to capture:

Campania CAPUA AE Uncia 216-211 BCE Diana Boar Hannibal capital Italia SCARCE.JPG
    Campania, CAPUA
    2nd Punic War - Hannibal promises Capua as Capital of Italia after Rome destroyed
    Attribution: SNG ANS 210
    Date: 216-211 BC
    Obverse: Bust of Diana right, with bow and quiver over shoulder
    Reverse: Boar right, one pellet above, KAPV (retrograde) in exergue
    Size: 20.72 mm
    Weight: 6.56 grams
    Scarce

RR Allius Bala 92 BCE AR Den Diana Biga Stags Sear 221 Craw336-1 scarce.jpg
    RR Allius Bala 92 BCE AR Den Diana Biga of Stags Sear 221 Craw 336-1 scarce

5. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice addition!

6. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

Very nice coin RC, here is my " odd " Diana Lucifera.
    I have owned the coin for nearly 5 years and have periodically checked the fake reports & sales without finding another, when purchased it was in a flip marked " contemporary imitation ".
    It has been discussed before on another forum & the extra info I gained is not being questioned here, I am just showing it.
    I know you will spot what is " wrong " straight away RC so will just post the basics.

Faustina Jr Denarius, with Diana Reverse.
    Weight - 2.88g Size 18mm

IMG_5086.JPG IMG_5085.JPG

7. Roman Collector

That's an interesting coin, @tenbobbit . It doesn't even copy an official issue. There are only a handful of denarii of Faustina II issued under Antoninus Pius with the reverse legend AVGVSTI PII FIL.* Here are the listings in RIC and BMCRE, respectively:

*Probably only 3: Venus, Concordia, and Spes.

RIC:
    Capture.JPG

BMCRE:
    Capture 2.JPG
    Capture 3.jpg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    tenbobbit likes this.
  8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Julia Domna 3.jpg
    JULIA DOMNA
    Fouree Denarius
    OBVERSE: IVLIA PIA FELIX AVG, draped bust right
    REVERSE: DIANA LVCIFERA, Diana standing left, holding long torch with both hands
    Struck at Rome, 211-217 AD Struck under Caracalla
    3,1 g; 18,3 mm
    RIC 373A [Caracalla]
    Gallienus 21.jpg
    GALLIENUS
    Billon Antoninianus
    OBVERSE: GALLIENVS AVG, radiate cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: LVNA LVCIF, Diana walking right holding torch in both hands, PXV in ex.
    Struck at Antioch, 260-268 AD
    3.8g, 20mm
    RIC VI 609

9. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

The first of these 2 coins is Greek and has Artemis on reverse. It was struck under Antiochos IX, with Apollo on obverse. The second is Roman and has Diana on reverse with legend reading "Felicitas". It was struck under Gallienus.

Antioch 9       Apollo.JPG Antioch R 9    Artemis.JPG GallF Diana     RIC 291.jpg GallFelicit       scarce.jpg

10. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Lovely coin with that interesting hound.
    Julia Domna
    Diana Lvcifera
    050-09.jpg

11. tenbobbit

Thanks for the reply RC, the BMCRE data is what I have been given previously.
    As you pointed out the Reverse image is not attested with these legends & the Diana Reverse does not appear until Phase 2 M.Aurelius so what were they copying ?
    I have not confirmed this bit myself but I was informed that the DIANA LVCIFERA type illustrated in BMCRE ( plate 55 #3 aureus ) & ( #4 denarius ) are a close match, I know you will be able to confirm if this is the case.
    It certainly has had me scratching my head, whether official or hybrid imitation I may never know for sure.

12. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

Most interesting variant @tenbobbit. Here is one of the more conventional examples of that reverse inscription, with Concordia, which I just recently won at auction. Their pic since the coin is not here yet:
    L411-337077.jpg

13. tenbobbit

Nice addition @lrbguy, another one for your ladies list.
    I have you to thank for some of what I posted, it was a couple of years ago so not surprised if you forgot.

14. Roman Collector

I was skeptical about the existence of the Aeternitas standing left, holding Phoenix and lifting hem of skirt reverse type (not in RIC and listed only as a footnote in BMCRE) but there is a single example online, which sold at auction earlier this year:

4873139.jpg

15. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

That's a cool new coin @Roman Collector ! I like how Artemis has a tiny bow!

Here is my go to coin for the Artemis pile on thread!

[​IMG]

Faustina II

O: ΦAYCTEINA CEBACTH. R: AYΓOYCTHC TPAIANHC, Artemis huntress with hound, right hand reaching for an arrow in quiver at shoulder and holding bow in left. Moushmov 2982. 26x24 mm, 11.4g

I've always been a fan of the types were she is pulling and arrow from her quiver

16. gogili1977

Thanks Roman Collector, I did not know that this my denarius is scarcer variant, there are some deposits on the reverse side.
    038-01.jpg

17. Roman Collector

Actually, @gogili1977 , I was far too quick to take Triskeles' catalog description at face value. Your coin -- as well as the purportedly extremely rare one sold by Triskeles earlier this year -- is RIC 497, depicting Spes, not Aeternitas. See my discussion here.

18. gogili1977

I'm sorry, I too quickly concluded, the collector's desire prevailed that it was rare. I actually have common denarius.

Roman Collector likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted