Defect on Perth mint gold bar?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Davidjohnson1984, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Davidjohnson1984

Davidjohnson1984 New Member

I bought a 5 gram Perth mint gold bar off eBay from a reputable high rated seller. This is my first gold bar I’ve ever bought. When I got it, I noticed there was a black mark on the back of the gold bar. The mark is not on the plastic or the assay card, but appears to be on the actual bar itself.

does anyone know what this is, and if it effects the value?

Attached Files:

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Hope that's not a common occurrence, I'd be unhappy if my first ounce of gold (ever) had a blemish on it.

JCKTJK likes this.
  4. Davidjohnson1984

Yeah, I’m not happy. I’m requesting to return it on eBay, so we will see how that goes.

5. JCKTJK

JCKTJK Well-Known Member

Assay card looks tampered with?? anyone else have thoughts on it? could be pic but it looks like air bubbles and ragged on the edges from others I have seen.

Lighting is my worst enemy anymore so wait for others to chime in.

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  6. Davidjohnson1984

The seller said they would return it, free return shipping. So I’m doing that, and buying a new gold bar from liberty coin. Thanks for your guys input.

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

It says "tamper-evident case", and it's evident that it's been tampered -- those bubbles on the back indicate that somebody peeled it open. Is it still a legit 5-gram bar? Maybe, but I sure wouldn't give it the benefit of the doubt.

JCKTJK likes this.
  8. JCKTJK

JCKTJK Well-Known Member

Liberty coin is a good place, you can also go to their website and avoid Ebay, sometimes the website is a bit cheaper too!

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Glad your going to return it. Your first gold bar should be special to you.

Welcome to CT.

Draft saved Draft deleted