Debating on selling my stack

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by alucard86, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

Sell them to the shops

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. WoodyWW

WoodyWW Junior Member

I'm curious: how much time did you spend buying all of this silver? And are you sure you want to sell it all? Do you like having any of these coins around to look at from time to time? And: how would you feel if you sold it all at current prices, & silver goes to $25 or so?

I don't have quite as much silver as you, but I have quite a bit, & I can't get motivated to sell much at $17-ish. (Altho I did sell a few of my worst condition silver $$ on fee-bay a few months ago). I have quite a few rolls of Unc. & Proof franklins, & I figure, why sell? Same with all my ASE's, & AU-Unc Morgans.

But I don't know your situation of course.

ripple likes this.
  4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Probably the same way I felt when it fell to $25 and I didn't sell everything.

Whether you're investing, speculating, or hoarding, beating yourself up for failing to predict the future is pointless.

5. Chasinva69

Chasinva69 New Member

Was thinking the exact same thing. The OP's list is comprised of just widley available bullion coins, not even semi-numismatic bullion like Pandas, Kookaburras, the early New Zealand Kiwi silver dollars. I think he'd do well to unload it all for $7,700.

6. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

I don't understand why people give advice like yours? Did you not see what spot is?

470 x $17.48 spot=$8215 That would be selling the whole thing for 6% under at $7700.

Silver is up almost 50 cents an ounce since $7700 was considered a low, but acceptable offer.

7. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

I don't understand why you keep hammering your opinion on this matter.

Let it go.

8. myownprivy

Because people who give bad advice or who sell for amounts different than they should impact the value of my stuff in their own little tiny way. I don't want to live in a world where people sell ASE to their coinshops for less than spot!

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Most of the world is far less concerned with the price of an ASE than whether they can survive one more day and not have their family die from starvation or lack of medical care. Most of the members of this forum are of a far more privileged group and hopefully they appreciate what got them that far. IMO, Jim

bruthajoe and RonSanderson like this.
  10. Mr. Flute

A 6% difference (between stop at the time and what he sold for) is inconsequential in the grand scheme of the overall market. Unless you are selling to the exact same dealer in the same time frame, it you're over thinking it.

Yeah, silver is $17.43/troy oz right now, so your unsold ASE is worth more today than one week ago.

micbraun and slackaction1 like this.
  11. myownprivy

6% is inconsequential?! $515 is inconsequential?

12. Chasinva69

Chasinva69 New Member

Not good advice?? I posted that after he said he sold it for a little less than $7,700. He shopped around and that was the best he could get from a coin shop. Where did you expect him to get spot for his bullion? Tell me so I can go there.

Mr. Flute likes this.
  13. myownprivy

Yes, when he sold it at $7,700 that was a decent price. Spot was $17.

However, today, you wrote "I think he'd do well to sell at $7,700" You wrote that he would do well selling at $7,700. That tense says he would do well now to sell at $7,700. However, silver is now just shy of $17.50. So he would NOT do well to sell for that low price.

However, I'm thinking when you wrote that you didn't see that spot had gone up almost 50 cents? Or maybe you got your tense wrong in your post?

In regard to your follow up post, I agree that when he sold at $7700 it was a fair price, because spot was about $17 then.

However, in regard to your other question "Where did you expect him to get spot for his bullion? Tell me so I can there."
    As I wrote earlier, he should get above spot for all of his government issued bullion. JmBullion, Apmex, and all of my local coin shops always pay above spot for Eagles, Maples, Perth stuff, etc. Only his generic rounds/bars should be bought back at under spot. And it really depends on the dealer what you should get for junk. My shops buy them for just shy of spot.

14. Mr. Flute

For hobby level amounts, yeah. One should be happy to sell to a dealer for only a 6% discount.

In my opinion, the primary ways to make substantive money in PMs is either paper trading, dealing it, or hold for a long time and sell during a run up.

Physical PM is purely a hedge level 'investment' for an individual overall investing activities with the implicit understanding that it's sunk money unless there is a wider economic problem and people flee to PMs...but I certainly don't wish for another economic crisis.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    ripple likes this.
  15. Chasinva69

Chasinva69 New Member

I got ya. Just a bit of mis-communication; I was trying to say he got the best price he reasonably could have expected on the day he sold it.

Mr. Flute likes this.
  16. Mr. Flute

I fully understood what you meant the first time. :)

Chasinva69 likes this.
  17. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Assuming you get about $8500 for the lot on ebay, after final value fee (10%) and paypal (3%) that brings you to only a few hundred dollars more than a LCS will offer you. I'd go the hassle free route and walk away with $7300 on them. I've no personal experience with a particularly high value sale like this, I can't guarantee a large shipment like it will go smoothly with your buyer. I'd also be careful with hefty boxes, I would recommend splitting the sale in different boxes. Last time I shipped a medium flat rate box weighing over 30 lbs it scanned as being damaged (item still made it thankfully)..

Hookman and -jeffB like this.
  18. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

Boy that's brilliant Jeff

19. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

That's coming from our resident thief!

Kentucky and xCoin-Hoarder'92x like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted