Dealing Bullion

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Bman33, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

There will be an armed security guard there and I have been to this show before but I will take precautions and not get careless. I know most of the dealers there so the setting should be fine.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

After reading this thread, it really makes me wonder why anyone would sell anywhere other than on-line.

Bman33 and Seattlite86 like this.
  4. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Just got back from show. I moved a whole 6 ounces of silver. 5 off quality ASE's and a Libertad. Learning experience. My premiums were just a little too high. Not a big deal as my table fee was nominal. Price is everything and I believe I was 40 cents higher than my biggest competitor. Live and learn.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Yeah, two things:

1) strategic table location can make people buy from you first. Not everyone will make the rounds and then return to the lowest price. Many will buy on impulse if the price seems right. If your table is located in the right spot, you can make lots of sales this way and still get the price you want. However, getting those good tables really depends, I know.

2) Most buyers are able to jump online and check prices, so as I was saying earlier in the thread, considering online is already very cheap compared to physical shops, you can price near the online prices and be ok. However, just be sure to check the deals sections on those websites for comparison, not the regular prices. I am sorry I neglected to say that in my first post in your thread.

Even though you weren't able to sell much, did you find any good deals to buy for yourself to make it worth it?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I think there was seniority or the other dealers paid premiums to get the best table spots. I was not in buying mode so I wasn't hunting for deals. The experience did give me a perspective on competition and the bullion market as a whole. Buy/sell spreads have been changing a lot the past three years. The market has gotten a lot softer on premiums for both buy and sell. I had a guy try to hammer me twice down to below melt on five roles of halves. I had to politely bow out.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Ha! People are unreasonable. Why on earth would you sell below spot? Some buyers are crazy.

Bman33 likes this.
  8. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

He wasted 20 minutes of my time. It's hard to be polite when someone harasses you like that.

9. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yes, if I was you and if it's allowed, I would take other items besides coins. I've only come across it a couple of times at local coin shows so maybe it's not allowed, idk. What I'm suggesting is selling maybe a guitar or two and maybe even weapons or signs or jewelry. I collect a lot more stuff other than coins and tokens so I have a bunch of stuff I would try to sell.;) good luck! :D Oh, never mind, I didn't know your coin show already happened. :D

Santinidollar and Seattlite86 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted