Curtisimo's 2017: An Overview and "TOP 10"!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Dec 21, 2017.

?

My top 10 ordering keeps changing. Help me by picking your 3 favorites!

1. 10. Antoninus Pius Denarius

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. 9. Antiochos VII Tetradrachm

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  3. 8. Lysimachus Tetradrachm

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  4. 7. Julian II Siliqua

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. 6. Diocletian Antoninianus/Follis

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  6. 5. Persian Siglos

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  7. 4. John Hyrcanus I Prutah

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  8. 3. Ptolemy I Soter Tetradrachm

20 vote(s)
    58.8%
  9. 2. Athenian New-Style Tetradrachm

21 vote(s)
    61.8%
  10. 1. Anonymous Republican Denarius

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Collage-15.jpg
    Summary of my 2017 Collecting Year

2017 was a productive year for me on the coin front. I was active in acquiring new material pretty steadily throughout the entire year right up to late December which I think is a testament to how much fun I’ve had sharing my new acquisitions with fellow collectors here on CT. You guys and gals are the only people I know that share my interest in this great hobby. This post will be mostly about my top ten overall coins but I have already posted a thread showing my favorite budget buys in $10 increments from 2017 at the following link.

Curtisimo’s Sensational 7… under $70

2017 by the Numbers

35 Total coins acquired

· Greek (17%) – 6
    o 6 Silver
    · Roman (68%) – 24
    o 6 Silver
    o 18 Bronze
    · Near East / Judean (3%) – 1
    o 1 Bronze
    · Byzantine / Medieval (6%) – 2
    o 2 Bronze
    · South / Central Asian – 0
    · Far East Asian (6%) – 2
    o 2 Bronze

Books and Reading Related to Ancient Coins (excluding primary references)

I added a lot to my library this year. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if my library expense was close to 10% of my coin budget. Below are a few books on coins that I acquired this year and have read through enough to give a general impression of how much I liked them. The letter at right is the “grade” I would give each book based on what I have read so far. I chose to exclude primary references and catalogs (RIC type books) from the list.

Collecting Greek Coins by John Anthony – A

Ancient Coin Collecting II by Wayne G. Sayles – A

Classical Deception by Wayne G. Sayles – A

Greek Coins by Charles Seltman – A

Ptolemaic Coins: An Introduction for Collectors by Richard A. Hazzard – C

Handbook of Ancient Greek & Roman Coins by Zander H. Klawans – B

Collecting Ancient Greek Coins by Paul Rynearson – C

Roman Republican Moneyers and Their Coins by Michael Harlan – Still reading

I also managed to snag 6 or so books on ancient history in general (Ex.: Legions of Rome – D) and more periodicals and research essays on coins than I care to count.

2018 and beyond?

I think I will slow down on the number of coins that I buy next year and concentrate on acquiring a handful of quality coins while making sure I properly research, catalog and photograph every new coin I buy. I hope to push my current camera set-up (Nikon + 16-85 mm zoom) and knowledge in 2018 to a point where I am satisfied with my photos or it makes sense to upgrade to a 180 mm macro. My biggest project will be finally getting a place where I can set up a wood shop like I had back in Texas that will allow me to pick back up working on a custom coin cabinet for my collection.

My Top 10(ish) Coins of 2017

So now to the part you are all just going to skim down to anyway :D. My top list is pretty balanced between the two most popular classic Mediterranean civilizations with 5 Greek, 5 Roman and 1 Judean coin represented. My top list is silver heavy with 8 of 11 coins struck from silver and no gold coins (something I hope to remedy in 2018). I thought it interesting that I bought a lot more Roman coins than any other type and yet my Greek coins were just as represented in my favorites. The only cities or rulers to appear on my list more than once are: Diocletian(2) and Rome(3).

While trying to put these in order over the last few days my order kept changing based on which coin I happened to be holding at the time. If I posted this list tomorrow I suspect the order would be different again so I would be interested in all of your thoughts on my arraignment. I tried to include some new insight on some of the ones that you have all seen and there are a few that none of you have seen before. I have been more excited about the top three coins than it is appropriate for a grown-up to be excited about anything. I hope you enjoy my thoughts on them. So without further ado here are my top ten coins of 2017.

Coins Number 10 through 6

10. Powerful Purple Pius Plus Pretty Personification!
    Antoninus_Pius_CSH.jpg
    Roman Empire
    Antoninus Pius, AD 138-161
    AR Denarius, Rome mint, Struck ca. AD 140-143
    Wt.: 3.01 g
    Dia.: 17 mm, 6h
    Obv.: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP TR P COS III; Laureate head right
    Rev.: AEQVITAS AVG; Aequitas standing left, holding scales and sceptre
    Ref.: RIC III 61; RSC 14

Why it’s my number 10:
    Sometimes the reason some of us buy a coin is no more sophisticated than “I like the way it looks”. This is what this coin was for me earlier this year and I make no apologies for that :happy:. This coin has a great purple iridescent toning that is hard to capture in a photo as well as great detail on the obverse portrait. Plus who doesn’t love a coin of Antoninus Pius? A. Pius was the fourth of the popularly styled Five Good Emperors that ruled Rome at its height. His reign is noted for being remarkably peaceful for the time and for the fact that he never had to leave Italy while emperor. He earned the title Pius either for having his adopted father Hadrian deified, for physically supporting his aged father in law in senate meetings or for pardoning innocent people who had been condemned to death. The reverse type showing Aequitas, the Roman personification of justice and equality, seems perfectly appropriate here. Finally a Roman ruler whose likeness I don’t have to feel guilty about owning!

9. A Tyrian Sheke… I Mean Tetradrachm
    4-G02-002_Antiochos_VII_Tetradrachm_CSH.jpg
    Seleucid Empire
    Antiochos VII Sidites, 138-129 BC
    AR Tetradrachm, Tyre mint, struck ca. 131-130 BC (SE 182)
    Wt.: 13.47 g
    Dia.: 28 mm
    Obv.: Antiochus VII Diademed and draped bust right
    Rev.: Eagle standing left on prow left; palm frond behind; to left, monogram above club surmounted by Tyre monogram; to right, monogram above BΠP (date); monogram between legs
    Ref.: SC 2109.10c; HGC 9, 1074; DCA 198

Write up:
    The First Jewish Coin and its Modern
    Descendant

Why it’s my number 9:
    This coin depicts Antiochus VII who is widely considered the last great Seleucid King. During his reign he worked to restore territory that had been lost to Seleucid control during the disastrous reigns of his predecessors (and successor interestingly). He laid siege to Jerusalem and seems to have brought it back into the empire; though his fair treatment of the Jews earned him their respect and the title Euergetes ("the Benefactor"). This coin was struck in the year following the siege of Jerusalem and it is interesting to speculate whether it might have been struck with the silver Josephus mentions was obtained from the tomb of King David at the end of that siege. The date of 131/0 also means it was struck the year before the planned re-conquest of Parthia in 130-129 BC in which Antiochos VII lost his life. Though referred to as a tetradrachm it is about 3 grams lighter than the Attic standard which means it was struck on the weight standard and also resembles the reverse type of the famous Tyrian Shekels that would begin production about 4 years after this coin was struck. I also just really like these high relief Seleucid portraits.

8. Yeah… me and Alex were like brothers maaan
    2-G02-003_Lysimachus_Tet_CSH.jpg
    Kings of Thrace, Macedonian
    Lysimachus (305-281 BC)
    AR Tetradrachm, Lampascus mint, struck ca. 297-281 BC
    Dia.: 31 mm
    Wt.: 16.5 g
    Obv.: Diademed bust of deified Alexander right with Horn of Ammon
    Rev.: ΛΥΣΙΜΑΧΟΥ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ Athena Nikphoros seated left with shield and spear. Monogram above crescent
    Ref.: Thompson 61

Write up:

Why it’s my number 8:
    This coin is a dual threat. On the one hand it depicts a deified Alexander the Great and gives us such a beautifully styled portrait that one can’t help but wonder at how accurately it may depict its subject. On the other it was issued by one of the most mysterious and fascinating of the Diadochi, or successors, to Alexander’s achievements. Lysimachus had to settle for second fiddle to the more prominent members of Alexander’s inner circle for most of his career and was given what amounted to a backwater (Thrace) as a satrapy on Alexander’s death. Most of his numismatic legacy during his early rule is unexceptional until sometime between the Battle of Ipsus and the death of Cassander when he began to issue this type. This coin clearly conveys a message: Lysimachus had arrived as a major player in Hellenistic affairs and, further, he was a worthy successor to the deified Alexander he placed on this coin. I also love the historical reference of the Horn of Ammon (see write up) and the excellently styled reverse.

7. A Julian II Siliqua Unearthed 130 Years Ago
    Julian_AR_Siliqua_AD_360-361_CSH.jpg
    Roman Empire
    Julian II, AD 360-363
    AR Siliqua, Lugdunum mint, struck ca. AD 360-361
    Wt.: 2.23 g
    Dia.: 18 mm
    Obv.: FL CL IVLIA NVS P P AVG, pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: VICTORIA DD NN AVG, Victory advancing left, holding wreath and palm frond
    Ref.: LVG. RIC VIII 212; Lyon 259; RSC 58†c, IRBCH 1424

Why it’s my number 7:
    You guys might recognize this fella from my recent give away game. My description in the game seems to be just as appropriate an explanation here as there:

On a hot summer day in 1887, a little more than 130 years ago, a workman searching for a new source of water for the nearby village of East Harptree thrust his spade into the boggy ground and was rewarded with the sound of a resounding thud. He had stumbled on a hoard of ancient silver buried no more than 6 inches under the ground in a lead container. The coins were buried sometime around the year 375, most likely by a merchant trying to save his wealth from the coming of some catastrophe we can only guess at. This coin was among those discovered on that long ago day in Victorian Britain and it shows Julian II, a ruler best known for being the only Roman Emperor after the conversion of Constantine I to renounce the Christian faith and return to the ancient Roman gods. In the end it is in my collection (and my no. 7) because even though it is a relatively common type it has an uncommonly neat history (less than 15 years unaccounted for) and eye appeal to spare.

6a. It’s Lonely at the Top
    5-Diocletian_Antoninianus_285-6_CSH.jpg
    Roman Empire
    Diocletian (AD 284-305)
    AE Antoninianus, Rome mint, struck ca. AD 285-286
    Dia.: 24.73 mm
    Wt.: 3.55 g
    Obv.: IMP DIOCLETIANVS AVG Radiate bust of Diocletian right
    Rev.: IOVI CONSER-VAT AVG Jove standing right holding thunderbolt and scepter. XXIZ below
    Ref.: RIC V:II 161

Write up:
    Diocletian: Two Interesting Coins and a Legacy of Reform

Why it’s my number 6a:
    I know what you’re thinking… That worthless Curtisimo is a cheater for choosing 11 instead of 10 coins! Well, this is technically correct I suppose but these next two coins are so interesting to me as a pair that I just couldn’t resist including them both together in my write up and on this list. Of the two the above is probably my favorite as it was struck during the first few months of Diocletian’s rule when he, and he alone, held the title of Augustus. Though we only have evidence for the later, regularized, donatives under Diocletian it is reasonable to think that these sole-rule ants were struck largely for that purpose considering that they start almost immediately after his victory at the Battle of the Margus and that the defection of Carinus’ army was instrumental in his success. This coin also has a lot of eye appeal considering the very crisp legends and the coloration. It is well centered with pleasant flow lines.

6b. A Post-Reform Tetrarchy Follis

8-Diocletian_Follis_AD_296-7_Ticinum.jpg
    Roman Empire
    Diocletian (AD 284-305)
    AE Follis (silvered), Ticinum mint, struck ca. AD 269-267
    Dia.: 31 mm
    Wt.: 8.63 g
    Obv.: IMP DIOCLETIANVS P F AVG Laureate head of Diocletian right
    Rev.: GENIO POPV-LI ROMANI Genius standing right holding patera and cornucopia. DT. Below. Star in left field
    Ref.: RIC VI 33

Write up:
    Diocletian: Two Interesting Coins and a Legacy of Reform

Why it’s my number 6b:
    This companion piece to my 6a choice represents the second half of Diocletian’s numismatic legacy. In around AD 294 he completely reformed the currency and began issuing this entirely new coin denomination. It is hefty and feels great in hand which I can only assume was part of its appeal at the time it was issued. This particular example is struck on a large oblong flan and has a good deal of its silvering left intact. I like how the style of this coin is halfway between conventional “soldier emperor” iconography and the developing severe abstract style of the tetrarchy. The reverse type is a direct appeal for unity within the Roman world which I find to be both interesting and illustrative of the period. This example is well centered and shows good detail throughout.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Coins 5 through 1

5. A Persian Alternative to Athenian Silver

1-A03-001_Siglos_420-375_CSH2.jpg
    Persian Empire
    Xerxes II to Artaxerxes II,
    AR Siglos, Mint in Asia Minor, struck ca. 420-375 BC
    Wt.: 5.4 g
    Dia.: 16 mm
    Obv.: Persian king / hero wearing kidaris and quiver, kneeling-running right holding spear and bow
    Rev.: Incuse punch
    Ref.: Carradice Type IIIb C

Why it’s my number 5:
    Persian coinage is absolutely fascinating to me. The Persians used coins almost exclusively in the context of their interactions with the Greeks (and Lydians before them) and more than likely used bullion and/or barter in the rest of their empire. Toward the end of the Peloponnesian War, (431-404 BC) as the tide began to turn against Athens in its struggle with Sparta, Persia decided to throw the weight of its immense wealth behind Sparta in an attempt to recover the cities in Asia Minor it had lost to the Athenian alliance (the Delian League). We know from literary and scant hoard evidence that the Persian coins used to fund Sparta were most likely gold Darics (and Athenian tetradrachms!). So what’s with all the Siglos in Asia Minor? Near the end of the war the Spartan general Lysander effectively abandoned the Greek cities in Asia to their fate against the Persians. The Spartans also cut off the Athenian supply of sliver forcing a shortage and a move toward debasement. The Siglos from this period constituted a Persian strategy to consolidate their economic hold on the newly reconquered cities of Asia Minor by offering an alternative to the Athenian silver that was now less abundant and reliable. The Greeks of Asia Minor remained adamant about trading with coined money and the prolific siglos of this period almost certainly constituted the Persian answer to that demand. This coin was valued at 7.5 Attic obols or 1.25 drachms according to Xenophon. Considering the Persian ambivalence to coins in general it is no surprise that a lot of these are not well centered or struck. This example is well centered, has good details and, just as importantly, the surfaces are quite nice. This coin’s positive qualities and connection with one of my favorite time periods in history makes it more than worthy of a top 5 ranking.

4. The First Truly Jewish Coin
    2-A01-001_John_Hyrcanus_Prutah_CSH.jpg
    Hasmonean Dynasty of Judea
    John Hyrcanus I, 134-104 BC
    AE Prutah, Jerusalem mint, struck ca. 129-122 BC
    Wt.: 1.82 g
    Dia.: 15 mm
    Obv.: Paleo-Hebrew inscription in wreath; Greek letter alpha above
    Rev.: Double cornucopia with a pomegranate between horns
    Ref.: Hendin 1132

Write up:
    The First Jewish Coin and its Modern
    Descendant

Why it’s my number 4:
    This is a fantastic little coin. As I explain in the write up above this coin was the first ever coin to be struck by a Jewish leader in his own name. The absence of any depictions of humans or animals on the coin is notable in that it relates to the Jewish prohibition against graven images and is a direct departure from the tradition forced on the Jews by their Seleucid rulers. This coin can most likely be seen in the context of the period following Antiochos VII’s death in 129 BC (see coin number 9) when the Judean Kingdom was able to reassert its independence and begin coining its own money. The Greek letter “A” on the obverse is likely to be a reference to an alliance with a pretender to the Seleucid throne by the name of Alexander II Zabinas who died in 122 BC. If this is true then it’s yet another fascinating historical tie for this coin. These coins were not struck with great care so finding an example with the legend fully readable and the cornucopia fully visible is a win in my book. All in all I think this example has good eye appeal for the type and in terms of interest for money this coin is also hard to beat coming in at less than $60.

3. A Diadochi Portrait from the Hand of a Master Artist
    Ptolemy_I_Soter_300-285.jpg
    Ptolemaic Kings of Egypt
    Ptolemy I Soter, (305-282 BC)
    AR Tetradrachm, Alexandria mint, struck ca. 300-285 BC
    Dia.: 26 mm
    Wt.: 14.13 g
    Obv.: Diademed head of Ptolemy I right, wearing aegis around neck. Δ behind ear
    Rev.: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΠΟΛΕΜΑΙΟΥ eagle with closed wings standing on thunderbolt. P above monogram ΠΑΡ
    Ref.: Noesje 41-42. SNG Copenhagen 70-71. Svoronos 255

Ex W.F. Stoecklin, Ex Karl Steiner (1940s), signed by Delta.

Why it’s my number 3:
    Ptolemy was always a step bolder than the other Diadochi. He first proved this when he decided to steal Alexander’s body and have it brought to Egypt and so it is no surprise his coins reflect a similar level of bravado. Ptolemy was the first Diadochi to alter Alexander’s ubiquitous Herakles/Zues silver pieces by placing a deified Alexander on the obverse in a clear boast of their close friendship (unlike Lysimachus, Ptolemy had always been a prominent Somatophylax). It is on these types that we first see a diminutive little Δ on the most beautifully engraved examples from the Alexandria mint. This was the mark of a die engraver who was a cut above his peers, a true master of his craft. Svoronos, Poole and Newell believed this was the initials of a single engraver who worked from 314 to at least 282 BC while Hazzard claims in his book (without citing any evidence) that it was several individuals. Until shown otherwise I will continue to lean toward the former interpretation. Regardless, it is not disputed that Delta’s work was among the finest of the Hellenistic age.

Therefore it’s no surprise that when Ptolemy I was ready to make another bold and unprecedented move by putting his likeness on a coin he would trust Delta to render it, first on gold staters then on silver tetradrachms. You can see the signature, Δ, behind Ptolemy’s ear on my new coin. This is the first time in history that we get to see an accurate depiction of a Greek monarch on a coin (a taboo practice in classic Greece) and we are fortunate as numismatists to have had Delta to execute it so beautifully. I have been searching for just the right example of one of these all year and lost out on one in March. It was all for the best though because I like the portrait and toning on this example better and the countermark doesn’t bother me in the least. I have noticed that a very high number of these seem to have graffito of Greek initials on the reverse behind the eagle. Does anyone know why that is more common for this type?

2. A beautiful Athenian Tetradrachm… No, No Not THAT Kind.
    Athens_137-6_Tetradrachm.jpg
    Attica. Athens
    AR Tetradrachm, struck ca. 167-8 BC
    Dia.: 30 mm
    Wt.: 16.78
    Obv.:Head of Athena right wearing triple crested attic helmet adorned with Pegasos
    Rev.: Α-ΘΕ above MI / KI and ΘΕΟ / ΦΡΑ (Miki[on] and Theophra[stos]) Owl standing facing on amphora Θ, AP below.
    Ref.: Thompson 320g

Why it’s my number 2:
    I love the coinage of ancient Athens. The classic Athenian Owl (431-404 BC) is my favorite ancient coin (I don’t care if they’re common). However, the design was frozen in an archaic style due to its success as a world currency and I have often wondered what the Athenian engravers would have come up with if they were given free rein to compete with the masters in Sicily and Sikyon. We will never know the answer to that but at least their descendants gave us the chance to witness what Athenian engravers could accomplish with the same theme during the Hellenistic era. These new-style coins are interesting in that they seem to contain so much information (just look at the reverse legends) but seemingly fall just short of giving us anything definitive to satiate our modern curiosity. When researching these I found it strange that it is standard practice to site Thompson as the main reference and yet ignore her dating conclusions completely. I have read through a great deal of her book New Style Silver Coinage of Athens and I found it astonishingly researched and expertly executed… and apparently wrong about the chronology. Subsequent research has proposed a new chronology that seems to have been accepted and yet Thompson’s work is still the main source of a great deal of important information found nowhere else! Needless to say it has made this a rather difficult coin to study so far. It is my number 2 coin because it is a large, beautiful and interesting coin that promises to keep me busy learning about it for quite some time to come.

1. Knock Knock… Who’s there…? Hannibal… Hannibal who…? Hannibal at the Gate!
    2-R01-004_RR_Denarius_211_BC.jpg
    Roman Republic
    Second Punic War (218 – 201 BC)
    Anonymous AR Denarius, Rome Mint, struck ca. 211 BC
    Wt.: 4.2 g
    Dia.: 20 mm
    Obv.: Helmeted head of Roma right. X in left field
    Rev.: Dioscuri galloping right. ROMA in exergue and partially incuse on raised tablet
    Ref.: Crawford 44/5. Sydenham 167. RBW 169.

Write up:
    The Story of the Coin Struck to Fight Hannibal: The First Denarius and its Influence

Why it’s my number 1:
    What can I say about this coin that I didn’t already say in excessively long-winded fashion in the above linked write up earlier this year? This type was the first denarius struck by the Roman Republic and was most likely struck from silver looted from some of the most famous ancient cities of the period in an effort to fund the fight with a rampaging Hannibal. This coin is well centered, has really great old cabinet tone and possesses all the important details, fully identifiable. This sub-variety of Crawford 44/5 (Brinkman – Group 5) is also rendered in fine style and has the largest portrait of any of the 44/5 denarii which makes the great centering all the more important. It has a pleasing (to me) amount of circulation wear which leads me to envision a war weary legionary carrying this around on campaign and using it for Jupiter knows what mischief. I imagine the circulation wear caused a few to overlook this piece at the live auction it was in and I was able to get it for what I consider a great price. Not only is it my number 1 coin of 2017 but it is also probably my best bargain.

To top all that off this coin is also an obverse die match to a coin in the British Museum which also serves as Steve Brinkman’s plate / illustration coin for this group. If it’s good enough for the British Museum it’s good enough for me.

----------------------------------------------​

Well that’s it everyone. I hope you enjoyed my little list. I will update the thread here with a few coins and numismatic items that were “top” in one category or the other but didn’t make any of my lists.

In the meantime you guys know the drill… PLEASE POST SOME STUFF!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    NLL, David Atherton, Jwt708 and 28 others like this.
  4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Great writeup and beautiful coins. My favourite is the Athenian tet . It has an amazingly artistic obverse.

Curtisimo likes this.
  5. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Great coins @Curtisimo they are fantastic. My favorite are 9, 8, and 3. Antiochus VII is on my want list for 2018 as is some Ptolemy silver. I would love to get a Lysimachus tet, but have had to settle for a drachm for now.
    20171221_194829.jpg
    Lysimachos. 305-281 BC. AR Drachm Magnesia on the Maeander mint. 297-281 BC. 19mm, 4.26 g.
    Obv: Diademed head of the deified Alexander right, with horn of Ammon / Athena.
    Rev: Nikephoros seated left, left arm resting on shield, transverse spear in background; maeander pattern to outer left, monogram to inner left.
    Thompson 117

NLL, David Atherton, Nyatii and 11 others like this.
  6. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

That's a great drachm Red. The portrait in particular is fine style :)

7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

You had a great year! I picked 8, 7 and 3. I wasn’t successful in getting any of the Harptree Hoard Julian II siliquae that I had bid on and am quite jealous of your beauty. I also remember admiring that Ptolemy I tetradrachm when I browsed the Obolos catalog. Have you shown that one before? It’s a wonderful example, congrats!

Curtisimo likes this.
  8. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Thanks :) this is Ptolemy's inaugural appearance on CT. I only received it in the last week or so and only had a short time to try and photograph it before leaving for home for the holidays. I wasn't 100% happy with my pics so I recycled Nomos's for the short term :)

More of the Harptree Hoard will come up for auction I bet. There were almost 1500 coins in the Hoard and still 1000 that never came up for auction till recently.

Did you manage to score anything from Obolos?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  9. zumbly

Sadly, no. I was underbidder on a new style Athens tetradrachm with a Triptolemos minor device that I really wanted, though.

Curtisimo likes this.
  10. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Ah that's harsh. I swung and missed on the Leontini and Agathokles - Nike tetradrachms despite a last second anger bid :rage: never a good idea :eek:

11. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Great coins, @Curtisimo!

Your writing is always captivating. That combined with the photographs of your coins caused me to wander off to do some immediate research. Like, when I looked closely at your coin with the Nikphoros reverse, it appeared that it was a female. I wondered about that and went to our friend Google. My suspicions were correct! I never knew that Nikphoros was intersexed. I did not get an absolutely definitive answer to that question because I must have clicked on something that led me to Nero and the young man he had fixed and then married. Who knew? Not me! At least seeing Nero reminded me I had been reading about coins and I was able to find my way back to your article. What a detour!

I noticed that your owl reverse is extremely delicate - not a weak strike - but a delicate design. Here are my faves of your faves in descending order of favorocity.

Best Loved
    5 I'm in love with the incuse
    8 - No comment
    2 - lovely adolescent owl
    4 - I like the idea of it and what it represents
    9 - Eagle with attitude
    Loved a little less

Thank you for posting these, Curtisimo.

Curtisimo likes this.
  12. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Thank you for the kind words @LaCointessa I am glad that you enjoyed my list :)

Yeah that Nero story is enough to make you shiver. Crazy :eek:

13. zumbly

Judging from this and your top 10 list, it sounds like you’ve firmly set your sights on some iconic coins. Looking forward to seeing what 2018 brings you :).

Curtisimo likes this.
  14. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Beautiful coins @Curtisimo! I voted for your Athenian tet, it's fantastic...but so is the Ptolemy....and so is the silaqua has beautiful toning!

Curtisimo likes this.
  15. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Thanks Z. I think it's safe to say that I have firmly set my sights on ALL the coins ;) I like crusty old ugly coins as much as I like the iconic ones.

I have greatly enjoyed seeing your 2017 coins as well and I'll be happy to sit back with some popcorn and wait for everyone's 2018 top lists to crop up again next year :) it's been fun!

Thanks chrsmat! I was having trouble between the Ptolemy and the Athens for #2. The only one set in stone was my Denarius at #1.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    zumbly likes this.
  16. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I really like this thread a lot because and it's giving me the urge to post again. I didn't get many coins for 2017, but I think I might have enough to post.

A lot of nice coins that I would definitely welcome in my collection as well.

Curtisimo likes this.
  17. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

All great coins, but that Athenian TET really caught my eye, absolutely fantastic set of coins.

Curtisimo likes this.
  18. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Awesome coins!

19. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I have one similar coin type example but a different mint which is Londinium.

diocletian-ae-follis-londinium.jpg

Diocletian AE Follis. Londinium mint, ca 298-300 AD. 10g, 28.18mm

OBV: IMP C DIOCLETIANVS P F AVG, laureate & cuirassed bust right.

REV: GENIO POPV-LI ROMANI, Genius standing left, holding patera in extended right hand & cradling cornucopiae in left arm. No mintmark.

REF: RIC VI London 6A.

20. Ancient Aussie

21. Ancient Aussie

Nice, with a great portrait.

Curtisimo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted