Curtisimo’s Sensational 7... under $70

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I am not yet ready to call the race when it comes to my top 10 coins of 2017 but I recently noticed a neat thread posted by @zumbly listing his ten favorite purchases in each ten dollar increment from $1 to $100.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/favorite-coins-of-2017-the-1-100-list.306817/

Turns out I don’t have all the categories for all ten so instead here is Curtisimo’s sentastional seven coins under $70!

One of these is sure to make my 2017 top 10... can any of you guess which one?

Category: $1 - $10
    Licinius_I_AD_313-312_CSH.jpg
    Why I like it:
    This coin is 1,700 years old, in fairly good condition and it was $10... $10!!! While I understand that Licinius I’s coins are about as common as they get (is the roach moniker already taken?) it’s hard to imagine getting more enjoyment per dollar out of owning an object as I do out of owning this coin. Licinius I is best known as the co-emperor and competitor of Constantine I the Great. This rivalry would eventually cost him his life. I like the reverse of this coin showing Nike and the eagle… did I mention this coin was $10?

Category: $11 - $20
    Severina_Aug_Antoninianus_AD_275_CSH.jpg
    Write up:
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/heroes-of-the-third-century-aurelian-and-severina.303721/
    Why I like it:
    Severina was a fascinating historical woman to say the least. It is widely speculated that she was the only woman to have ever ruled over the Roman Empire in her own right. Some of the evidence for that suspicion is based on this coin type. The unusual style of her portrait, the inclusion of P F (Pontifex Maximus) and the singular AVG (vs AVGG for plural) on both the obverse and reverse of this coin seems to indicate that at least in parts of the empire she was considered a ruling empress even after the death of her husband Aurelian. It is possible she entered a power sharing arrangement with the senate during the time the senate was debating who would replace Aurelian. To top it off this coin is a very attainable piece and punches way above its weight class in terms of value for money. Aurelian and Severina are two figures in Roman history that are severely underrated in my opinion (the upside is their coins are cheaper!).

Category: $21 - $30
    Song_Huizong_1101-1125_CSH.jpg
    Why I like it:
    While the Mediterranean world was struggling through the chaos of the first Crusade that culminated in the sack of Jerusalem and the crowning of Baldwin I in around AD 1100 the Song Dynasty of China was celebrating the ascension of their own new ruler: Emperor Song Huizong. I bought this coin because of a fascinating story I read recently that involved this emperor. It seems that the Song Dynasty was a high point in art, culture and prosperity in China but the dynasty was unfortunately unable to leverage this into sustained military success. To remedy this Huizong made an alliance with a tribal confederation known as the Jin (in the far northeast) in order to fight back against the encroaching Liao Empire to the north of China. This proved to be a mistake as the Jin quickly recognized the weakness of the Song army and became much more of a threat than the Liao had been. After a series of diplomatic miscalculations on the part of the Song the Jin army invaded China. When he heard of this terrifying prospect Emperor Huizong faked a stroke and abdicated. His son refused to take the throne and so Huizong had him carried to the ceremony by eunuchs and made emperor by force. He then promptly fled the capital… now that’s good parenting!

Category: $31 -$40
    Domitian_Denarius_90_AD.jpg
    Why I like it:
    I like Domitian… I like denarii… I like ancient silver… really what’s not to like here? I consider snagging a 12 Caesars coin in this price bracket to be a great success! The details on this one are more pleasant than is conveyed in the photo. I have also taken to carrying this coin in my wallet when I travel for work lately. I was admiring it while in Nebraska, then in Montana, now in Kansas then Minnesota. It’s interesting to think of all the places that this coin has been that its creators couldn’t even have imagined.

Category: $41 - $50
    Justin_II_Follis_576-577.jpg
    Write up:
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/po...ucky-token-if-so-post-it.296034/#post-2732836
    Why I like it:
    Before I took to carrying Domitian around the world this was my lucky coin and travel companion. It is a coin that is really nice in hand and is impressive to show people who don’t know much about ancient coins. It’s also interesting in that Justin II was the emperor charged with holding together the overstretched empire that was left to him by Justinian. In this he failed miserably and in the process he lost his sanity completely. Into the vacuum stepped his wife, Empress Sophia. The obverse of this coin shows the two sitting as equals (an unprecedented occurrence!). Sophia held onto the reigns of the empire as her husband continued to lose his mind (he would often bite anyone who got too close to him!).

Category: $51 - $60
    2-A01-001_John_Hyrcanus_Prutah_CSH.jpg
    Write up:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/the-first-jewish-coin-and-its-modern-descendent.292881/
    Why I like it:
    This is a fantastic little coin. As I explain in the write up above this coin was the first ever coin to be struck by a Jewish leader in his own name. The absence of any depictions of humans or animals on the coin is notable in that it relates to the Jewish prohibition against graven images and is a direct departure from the tradition forced on the Jews by their Seleucid rulers. This coin can most likely be seen in the context of the period following Antiochos VII’s death in 129 BC when the Judean Kingdom was able to reassert its independence and begin coining its own money. The Greek letter “A” on the obverse is likely to be a reference to an alliance with a pretender to the Seleucid throne by the name of Alexander II Zabinas who died in 122 BC. If this is true then it’s yet another fascinating historical tie for this coin. In terms of interest for money this coin is also hard to beat coming in at less than $60.

Category: $61 - $70
    Constantius_I_Follis.jpg
    Why I like it:
    The Tetrarchy is a fascinating time period in Roman history to me. This coin depicts Constantius Chlorus who is famous as Constantine I the Great’s father. He was also a fascinating figure in his own right as one of the original members of the Tetrarchy of Diocletian. He started his career as junior emperor (Caesar) in the west under Maximian and played a major role in several empire saving wars against northern tribes and usurpers. Interestingly, it was Constantius Chlorus’s decision to promote his son to Augustus on his deathbed that began the chaotic breakdown of the tetrarchy. As the most senior Augustus in the empire he was well within his authority to promote Constantine I or anyone else he saw fit to the position. However the other tetrarchs did not see it this way and upon his death a series of civil wars broke out that culminated in the reunification on the empire under Constantine I the Great. I like this coin type for the simple fact that it was so uniform across all of the members of the first tetrarchy. I believe that this coin has great details and style for this price bracket.

Bonus Category: Not one red cent!

IMG_4465.JPG
    Write up:
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/a-tetarteron-of-manuel-i.298287/
    Why I like it:
    This coin was a gift from my good coin friend @Sallent because I made a joke regarding an elephant and a zebu! All in all it’s an interesting coin from an interesting rule during and interesting time in Byzantine history!.. and you can't beat the price!!!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Some great bargains there, exactly what makes collecting ancients so much fun, buying good quality cheaply. Congrats on great buying.

Curtisimo likes this.
  4. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I like all of these a lot, but especially the Huizong (good story too!), the Hyrcanus, and the Constantius. For your top 10... hmmm, maybe the Hyrcanus?

Curtisimo likes this.
  5. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

I forgot to guess one of your top 10, I will go with Hyrcanus.

Curtisimo likes this.
  6. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Thanks AA. There is so much great stuff out there for great prices in this hobby :)

Thanks for the nice comment. I always enjoy seeing the interesting coins and travel photos you post as well!

Ancient Aussie likes this.
  7. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Thanks SA. I even surprised myself at how much I ended up liking the Huizong. Can't wait to see your list!

Severus Alexander likes this.
  8. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Some very nice coins. As for the top ten coin...I would pick the constantius.

Curtisimo likes this.
  9. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Thanks Orfew :)

10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Cool! You can't beat that Licinius and Severina for bang for the buck, those are great buys, IMHO. The Constantius is an excellent example and would have my vote for an inclusion into a Top 10 list.

Curtisimo likes this.
  11. Daniel_R6

Daniel_R6 Well-Known Member

As you say, a sensational seven. I've really enjoyed the posts showing people's acquisitions in increasing cost increments, the write-ups providing background as to why the coin was chosen, and so on. Thanks for sharing with us @Curtisimo. It's certainly inspired me to seek out a few budget-friendly additions for my own collection.

Oh, and I really like the detail on that Constantius I. Perhaps we'll see it in your Top 10?

Curtisimo and Ancient Aussie like this.
  12. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Great coins!

Curtisimo likes this.
  13. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Great coins and a great write-up.

Curtisimo likes this.
  14. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I'm really impressed with some of the prices you paid for such beauties
    The 10 bucks Licinius and the Constantius Chlorus are my favorites

Q

Curtisimo likes this.
  15. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Coins, values and most of all historical background. Man.. That is perfection.

Curtisimo likes this.
  16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That Domitian looks great for the money. A Twelve Caesars denarius for under forty bucks, with decent grey toning to boot? I'm totally on board with that!

The Constantius Chlorus, too. Nice. But...

Forgive me for mentioning this... to be candid, I've never noticed Mr. Genio Populi's *ahem* junk so prominently displayed. Are all coins with this reverse so unambiguously "anatomically correct"? If so, I've never noticed that before (or subliminally blocked it out- haha). ;)

Kidding aside, that's a great LRB, and the Genius' stuff being out doesn't bother me, either. The Romans weren't all hung up about that, and neither am I. I just happened to notice it, is all. :)

PS- in that photo, Constantius looks as though he's staring at the Genius' bits in the breeze, and is slightly startled and indignant about it. Dude! Put a toga over that!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  17. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

What a fantastic group and IMHO bargains at the prices you paid. I always enjoy your presentations!!!

For inclusion in the top ten, i'd guess either Constantius or Severina with the
    Hyrcanus a possibility:D

Curtisimo likes this.
  18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great line-up @Curtisimo ! I really enjoyed the write-up for each one, and kept trying to hit the "LIKE" button that was absent under the write-up! They are all great. My favorite: Emperor Song Huizong. Top Ten: Any of yours. LOL

My Favorite Dynasty was Tang:

China Tang AE Cash  FSR 315 O-R.jpg
    China Tang AE Cash FSR 315

I love the Art of the Tang Dynasty (618-907 CE), especially their interpretation of the Tang Horse...
    upload_2017-12-8_7-35-20.png

19. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Great list! Thanks for the prices too it's nice to see, and Sallent is very generous!

Thanks,
    Jacob

Curtisimo and Theodosius like this.
  20. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

You did very well with the Domitian. Did you notice the spacing dots? Normally during the Flavian era the finest style dies have them.

Orfew and Curtisimo like this.
  21. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Thank you all for the kind words
    I did take note of the spacing dots because of how much of a breeze they made checking the RIC attribution but I had no idea of their significance to the die quality. Thank you David! Like I said in the write up this coin looks nice in hand which is part of the reason I've taken to carrying it around with me (in a protective coin flip of course!)

Draft saved Draft deleted