Heroes of the Third Century: Aurelian and Severina

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

During the third century AD the Roman Empire entered a period of chaos that nearly led to its complete collapse. Scholars traditionally date this rapid decline from the death of Severus Alexander at the hands of his own troops in AD 235 to the ascension of the great reformer Diocletian in AD 284. While Diocletian often gets all the credit as the emperor who ended the crisis it is highly unlikely that there would have been an empire left to save if not for the efforts of an often underrated emperor; Aurelian. In addition, Aurelian’s equally interesting wife may well have held imperial power on an interim bases after the death of her husband (the only woman thought to have done so). I recently acquired both of these great coins from @John Anthony.

Aurelian_BI_Antoninianus_AD_274-5.jpg
    Roman Empire
    Aurelian, AD 270-275
    BI Antoninianus, Serdica Mint, struck ca. AD 274/5
    Wt.: 4.1 g
    Dia.: 25 mm, 12h
    Obv.: IMP C AVERLIANVS PF AVG; Radiate, cuirassed bust right.
    Rev.: RESTITVT ORBIS; Woman standing right presents wreath to Aurelian standing left holding spear, star between, KAA in exergue
    Ref.: RIC 288

Severina_Aug_Antoninianus_AD_275.jpg
    Roman Empire
    Ulpia Severina Augusta, AD 274-275
    BI Anoninianus, Antioch mint, struck ca. AD 275
    Wt.: 4.1 g
    Dia.: 23 mm, 12h
    Obv.: SEVERINA PF AVG; Diademed, draped bust right, set on a crescent.
    Rev.: CONCORDIA AVG; Emperor and Empress standing, facing, clasping hands.; Q //XXI
    Ref.: RIC V 19

The Reign of Aurelian AD 270-275
    Aurelian’s greatest accomplishment as emperor is that he was able to reunify the Roman Empire by defeating and expelling the Germanic tribes that had invaded northern Italy and the Balkans and by reconquering the parts of the empire that had rebelled to form independent splinter states. In 260 the provinces of Gaul and Britannia had formed what is known as the Gallic Empire and by the end of AD 271 the eastern part of the empire (Syria, the Levant, and Egypt) had been conquered by the rebellious city of Palmyra.
    Roman_Empire_AD_271.jpg
    Palmyra’s control of Egypt was particularly concerning because it threatened the grain supply to Rome. In 271 Aurelian defeated the Germanic tribes and in 272 Aurelian recaptured Palmyra and brought their queen Zenobia and her son back to Rome for his triumph. In 273 he was forced to return and burn Palmyra to the ground for attempting another rebellion. In 274 Aurelian turned his attention to the Gallic Empire and met the army of its usurper emperor Tetricus at the Battle of Chalons. One of the disputed theories of what happened at the battle is that Tetricus knew he could not defeat Aurelian and decided to cut a deal by placing his army in a bad position and then defecting to the Roman Camp. Whether this is true or not it is indisputable that Aurelian annialated the Gallic legions and then spared Tetricus's life and gave him a position within the Italian bureaucracy.

RESTITVT ORBIS – Restorer of the World

Aurelian.jpg
    Left - Bust of Aurelian. Right - Painting of Queen Zenobia and her son being presented to Aurelian (ca. 1717) (Modified from Wikipedia images)

After his victory over the Gallic Empire Aurelian was given his final honorific by the senate; Restorer of the World. When considering the monumental challenges that the empire faced at the beginning of his reign and how effectively and rapidly he was able to overcome these difficulties the title seems to be a fitting one. My new coin shown above was struck in the last year or two of Aurelian’s reign and celebrates his new title while showing the emperor accepting a wreath and holding a spear (a fairly common and inexpensive type).

Another interesting numismatic feature of Aurelian’s reign is that the only known mint revolt took place during his reign because he insisted that the mint workers stop stealing the silver meant for the coins (how dare he)! This interesting episode has been discussed previously on the forum but it is interesting to note because it marks the beginning of the mint in Rome’s loss of primacy.

Aurelian and the Walls of Rome

One of the unsurprising features of the Crisis of the Third Century is that it was almost completely devoid of the type of important monumental architecture that had defined the reigns of previous emperors. The Aurelian Walls of Rome are one of the most prominent exceptions to that rule. The walls were built following the Germanic invasion of Italy in 270/1 mentioned above. Rome had long since outgrown the Republican era Servian walls that had served it well against Hannibal and took pride in the fact that it did not require fortifications. Aurelian realized that this attitude was no longer sustainable and set about to fortify the city. The walls were improved in the 4th and 5th centuries and today owe their great state of preservation to the fact that they continued to serve as the city of Rome’s primary defense until September 1870 when the walls were breached by forces loyal to the Kingdom of Italy during the reunification of Italy.
    Plan_Rome-_Aurelian.png
    Map of Ancient Rome showing the Servian Walls (Black) and the Aurelian Walls (Red) (Wikipedia)
    Aurelian_Walls_-_Porta_Asinaria.jpg
    Celio_-_le_mura_tra_porta_san_Sebastiano_e_porta_Ardeatina_1974.JPG

The Reign of Ulpia Severina Augusta?

In 275 Aurelian was killed by members of his Praetorian Guard after his secretary became fearful that the emperor would punish him (unclear as to why) and forged documents that showed the emperor meant to have several of his guards executed. In the aftermath the legions made the uncharacteristic move of deferring to the senate as to who should replace Aurelian as emperor. The senate debated this question for more than a year and during this time it is believed that Severina wielded imperial power in cooperation with the senate on the evidence that her coins were continuously struck up until the senate declared Tacitus as the new emperor in 276. If this is the case then she would have been the only woman in history to have been the sole leader of the Roman Empire! My above example shows the empress clasping hands with her husband Aurelian and is among the types that give evidence for her sole reign (see below).

Edit: @Roman Collector has a fascinating post about the coins of Severina and how they show evidence of her sole rulership as empress. I highly encourage those interested to read through the thread if you haven't already.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ne...with-a-very-unusual-hairstyle-for-her.302370/

Please post your coins of Severina, Aurelian or your favorite Crisis of the Third Century emperor!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great coins, love that Aurelian. Yet to buy one myself but will soon after reading your story he deserves a place in my collection. I can remember the pyramid just near the Aurelian wall when I was last in Rome, just fantastic. i don't have to many coins of that era besides this Diocletian. 20160903_150751.jpg 20160903_150732.jpg

TIF, dlhill132, chrsmat71 and 19 others like this.
  4. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Thanks AA. Love the Diocletian!

Yes I remember that the pyramid is one of the first things you see as you drive into the city coming from the airport. I wasn't able to find the time to come back out and visit it properly so all I have of it are a few blurry photos taken from the car :snaphappy:
    IMG_0038.JPG

The great thing about Aurelian is how affordable his Antoninianii are. Like I said I think he is a very underrated emperor.

TIF, dlhill132, chrsmat71 and 18 others like this.
  5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Great write-up, @Curtisimo ! You might be interested in my post about Severina's last issue from the Antioch mint, just like your coin.

I like this period in Roman history and the coins are interesting. A couple of my Aurelian and Severinas:

Aurelian Libertas Antoninianus.jpg
    Aurelian AD 270-275
    Roman silvered billon Antoninianus, 4.29 gm; 23.4 mm
    Uncertain Balkan mint, issue 1, AD 271-272
    Obv: IMP AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate, cuirassed bust, right
    Rev: LIBERT AVG, Libertas standing left, holding pileus and scepter
    Refs: RIC 396; MER/RIC temp 2447; CBN 958; Sear 11555; MIR 270a; Cohen 119

Severina Siscia CONCORDIAE MILITVM Antoninianus.jpg
    Severina, AD 270-275
    Roman billon antoninianus, 4.49 gm, 22.1 mm
    Siscia, AD 275-275, issue 9
    Obv: SEVERINAE AVG, diademed and draped bust right on crescent
    Rev: CONCORDIAE MILITVM, Concordia standing left, holding two legionary standards; in exergue: TXXI
    Refs: RIC 13; MER/RIC 2405; Cohen 8; MIR 237; RCV 11706

And an Aurelian with Vabalathalus:

Vabalathus and Aurelian antoninianus.jpg
    Vabalathus, AD 270-272
    Roman billon antoninianus, 3.58 gm, 20.4 mm, 5 h
    Antioch, late AD 270-spring 272
    Obv: VABALATHVS V C R IMP D R, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Vabalathus, right
    Rev: IMP C AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust of Aurelian right; officina mark Є below
    Refs: RIC 381; CBN 1248; Cohen 1; MIR 353; RCV 11718

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  6. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

That is a really excellent post @Curtisimo -- very well laid out and informative -- exceptionally well illustrated.

dlhill132, Multatuli, ominus1 and 4 others like this.
  7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Great post!

Curtisimo likes this.
  8. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Wow RC thanks for the additional info on my new Severina. Your explanation for the evidence from the Antioch and Serdica mint is fantastic. I edited my OP to include a link to your post.

Your Aurelian Antoninianus is also a superb example. The silvering is excellent.

Roman Collector likes this.
  9. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Here's a slightly earlier (a few months) issue from the Antioch mint which portrays Severina with a different hairstyle and does not have P F in the obverse inscription:

Severina Antioch CONCORDIAE MILITVM Antoninianus.jpg
    Severina, AD 270-275
    Roman silvered billon antoninianus, 4.18 g, 22.1 mm
    Antioch, 5th officina, 6th emission, January - September, 275
    Obv: SEVERINA AVG, diademed and draped bust, right
    Rev: CONCORDIAE MILITVM, Concordia standing left, holding two ensigns; V in field, left, XII in exergue
    Refs: RIC 20; MIR/RIC temp 3196; MIR 47, 383a5; BN 1353-1354

10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Fantastic writeup and nice coins! That Severina is very sweet, indeed.

I've always thought it was a pity that for an interesting emperor living in an interesting period, the iconography on Aurelian's coins was so relentlessly dull. Of course, that hasn't stopped me from picking up a few :D.

Silvered ant from Serdica.
    IMG_9831.JPG

Less common AE As denomination with Aurelian and Severina standing together flanking a bust of their pal Sol.
    IMG_9830.JPG

A potin tet from Alexandria with busts of Aurelian and Vabalathus. Interesting (but perhaps not surprising) that the fine style portrait of Vabalathus here shows a comely prince of the eastern provinces, whereas Aurelian basically looks like a troglodyte.
    IMG_9832.JPG

11. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

A great writeup @Curtisimo and sharp coins !

As a lazy guy I will post just one coin but it fits the bill with both Aurelian and Severina portraits

[​IMG]
    Aurelian and Severina, Double sestertius Rome mint AD 274-275
    IMP AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust of Aurelian right
    SEVERINA AVG, diademed and draped bust of Severina right, on crescent
    11.18 gr
    Ref : Cohen # 1, RIC # 2, RCV # 11696

Q

12. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Billon Antoninianus
    Cyzicus mint
    Obv: IMP C AVRELIANVS AVG
    Rev: ORIENS AVG - Sol, standing left, rasing right hand and holding globe in left; captive at feet
    XXL in exergue
    RIC 360
    22mm, 3.8g.

[​IMG]
    Billon Antoninianus
    Siscia mint
    Obv: SEVERI-NAE AVG
    Rev: CONDORDIAE M-ILITVM - Concordia, standing left, holding two ensigns
    XXI in exergue; S in right field
    RIC 13
    22mm, 4.1g.

13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

15. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Nice coins and excellent write-up!

Curtisimo likes this.
  16. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

super good write-up stone walls Lucky Strike Flat Fifties tin Severina ant 005.JPG stone walls Lucky Strike Flat Fifties tin Severina ant 006.JPG and coins

17. Multatuli

Multatuli Homo numismaticus

Two coins from my collection to this nice couple. Both CONCORDIA MILITVM:

B4804829-0D4D-4C50-A7D4-C8282E174456.jpeg 4FDD9BCC-83B1-403B-A862-0857223A8E3E.jpeg

18. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Gallienus is my Favorite, but Aurelian and Severina are underrated.

[​IMG]
    Aurelian (270 - 275 A.D.)
    Potin Tetradrachm
    Egypt, Alexandria
    O: A K Λ ΔOM AVΡHΛIANOC CEB, Laureate and cuirassed bust right.
    R: Eagle standing right on wreath, head turned left; star above right, L D right. Dated RY 4 (272/3 AD)
    11.25g
    21mm
    Köln 3076; Dattari 5492; Milne 4398 var. (no star); Emmett 3933 var. (same)

[​IMG]
    Aurelian (270 - 275 A.D.)
    Æ Antoninianus
    O: IMP C AVRELIANVS AVG, Radiate and cuirassed bust right.
    R: ORIENS AVG , Sol advancing left, raising right hand, globe in left, flanked by two captives at feet, txxt in ex
    Ticinum Mint 2nd Emission. 3rd Officina
    3.81g
    RIC 151

[​IMG]
    Severina
    Æ(S) Antoninianus
    O: SEVERINA AVG, Diademed and draped bust right on a crescent.
    R: PROVIDEN DEOR, Fides standing right holding two standards, facing Sol standing left holding globe in left and raising right, UXXT in ex.
    Ticinum mint
    22mm
    3.5g
    RIC 9

This coin may have been issued in connection with the introduction of the Sun Cult by Aurelian as the primary religion of the empire and Severina's appointment as its priestess.

19. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great write-up @Curtisimo ! Nice coins, and wonderful experiences.

AURELIAN:

RI Aurelian 270-275 CE AE Ant receiving Globe from Jupiter.jpg
    RI Aurelian 270-275 CE AE Ant receiving Globe from Jupiter

RI Aurelian 270-275 CE AE Ant Concordia-Milit.jpg
    RI Aurelian 270-275 CE AE Ant Concordia-Milit

SHARING POWER:

RI Vabalathus 271-272 CE and Aurelian.jpg
    RI Vabalathus 271-272 CE and Aurelian

SPOUSAL UNIT:

upload_2017-10-1_10-40-59.png
    RI Severina Wife of Aurelian 274-275 CE BI22 Antoninianus 3.14g Rome mint Crescent Concordia RIC 317

20. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I'll pile on with my Aurelian/Vabalathus antoninianus:

vabalathus1.jpg

vabalathus2.jpg

21. Multatuli

Multatuli Homo numismaticus

I also have one with Vabalathus:

1570CDC2-6791-4662-907F-AA5A62CC2D41.jpeg

And a ORIENS AVG type, with Sol:

7D6BFE59-FA73-4135-92A3-EB2F65E65D07.jpeg
    Although I only have these three coins from Aurelian e just this one from Severina, they are very nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted