Curtisimo’s Spectacular 6... for under $60 (2019)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Dec 7, 2019.

?

Do any stand out as favorites or good buys to you? (pick 2)

1. $1 - $10: Han Ban Liang

2. $11 - $20: Indian Gadhaiya Paisa

3. $21 -$30: Thessaly Chalkous

4. $31 - $40: Severus Alexander Denarius

5. $41 - $50: Diva Faustina Denarius

6. $51 - $60: Commodus Sestertius

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

This is a concept that was started by @dougsmit in 2015 and taken up by @zumbly and others in posts during subsequent years. The last one I did was in 2017.

The concept is a variation on our popular “Top 10” lists and showcases favorite coins that fit within $10 increments. I’ve always liked this idea as it illustrates how accessible the hobby is for everyone, no matter the coin budget.

I’m not ready to make the call on which coins made my top 10 but I hope you will at least enjoy these 6 favorite budget buys from my 2019 purchases.

Category: $1 - $10

My First Ancient Cash Coin: China’s First Unified Currency
    China_Ban_liang_Qin-Han_CSH.jpg
    Ancient China
    Qin to Western Han
    AE Ban Liang, cast ca. 220-180 BC
    Wt.: 4.62 g
    Dia.: 27 mm
    Obv.: Ban Liang
    Rev.: Blank as made
    Ref.: Hartill 7.8
    Ex Sallent Collection, Ex AMCC 2, Lot 372 (Nov. 9, 2019)

I’d like to give a special thanks to the Canadian Dollar and the other 11 coins that I bought from AMCC 2 for helping me keep this coin right around the $10 threshold. Defusing the shipping cost between multiple coins really helped me justify my dive into the pick bin and non-classical section of that auction. If you’re not perusing the pick bin and eastern sections you are missing out and this coin is case and point. As discussed in the above linked thread it is an important type from an important period in world history. I also love the colorful patina on ancient Chinese coins and this example has a really pleasant patina. Per note from TypeCoin this is an early Han Dynasty example ca. 180 BC.

Category: $11 - $20

Paramaras_of_Malwa_Paisa_CSH.jpg
    Medieval India
    Paramaras of Malwa
    BI Gadhaiya Paisa, struck ca. mid-13th century AD
    Dia.: 12.5 mm
    Wt.: 3.9 g
    Obv.: Stylized bust right
    Rev.: Stylized fire altar on raised platform surrounded by dots and lines

I find the evolution of the design on these coins fascinating. Over time the Sassanid inspired design became so stylized that it was barely recognizable. However, the basis of the original iconography was still intact over several centuries despite its separation from its original cultural context. The curling design in front of the obverse bust has sometimes been described as a nose. Maheshwari described this type of example as the “distinctive nose” type. One fascinating theory that @Finn235 introduced me to (thanks for the help Finn!) is that the design is actually a shankha shell. These shells were very valuable and highly prized in the Hindu religion. The idea that the obverse is showing a figure blowing into a shankha shell horn seems entirely plausible as well as fascinating to me.

Category: $21 - $30

AMCC 2: My First BCD Coin! Post your examples also!
    Thessaly_Krannon_AE_Chalkous_CSH.jpg
    Thessaly, Krannon
    AE Chalkous, struck ca. 350-300 BC
    Dia.: 15.4 mm
    Wt.: 2.41 g
    Obv.: Thessalian rider and horse, rearing right
    Rev.: KPAN Bull butting right, trident above
    Ref.: BCD Thessaly II 118.5; HGC 4, 391
    Ex zumbly collection; Ex BCD collection with tag stating “V. Ex Thess., Apr. 94, DM 35”; Ex AMCC 2, Lot 5 (Nov. 9, 2019)

This coin is well centered and has a beautiful dark patina with great detail and pleasant style. This coin belonged to my CT friend @zumbly and was once in the legendary BCD collection as well. To land a coin like this inside this price bracket is astounding. Throw in the interesting subject depicted on the coin and it should be clear why I consider this one of my highlight purchases of 2019.

BCD_Tag_2.41.jpg
    Tag from the BCD Collection. Coin purchased by him in April of 1994

Category: $31 - $40

Sev_Alex_Den_Antioch_prov-1942_CSH2.jpg
    Roman Empire
    Severus Alexander
    AR Denarius, Antioch mint, struck ca. AD 222-235
    Dia.: 18 mm
    Wt.: 3.35 g
    Obv.: IMP C AVR ALEXAND AVG; Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: PROVID DEORVM; Providentia standing left, holding wand over globe and sceptre
    Ref.: RIC 294
    Ex arnoldoe Collection, Ex Otto Helbing Nachfolger 86, Lot 1585 (Nov. 25, 1942)

This is my first example of a denarius struck at Antioch and I am very pleased with it. I also love the toning and was drawn in by the fantastic provenance.

This coin shows that just because a coin is not in FDC condition that does not mean that it hasn’t spent decades being appreciated by generations of collectors. This coin was part of the Helbing Nachf. Auction 86 held in Munich on Nov. 25, 1942 at the height of the Second World War. A humble coin with an old provenance might be rare but this coin is a great reminder than many, if not most, of our ancient coins have been comfortably residing in collections for a long time. It is truly astonishing that the tag has stayed with the coin for almost 80 years!

Helbing_Tag_11-1942.jpg
    Tag from the Otto Helbing Nachf. Auction 86, held on Nov. 25, 1942 in Munich

Category: $41 - $50

Faustina_Den_Temp2_CSH.jpg
    Roman Empire
    Diva Faustina (died AD 141)
    AR Denarius, Rome mint, struck after AD 141
    Dia.: 18 mm
    Wt.: 3.25 g
    Obv.: DIVA FAVSTINA; Draped bust right
    Rev.: AED DIV FAVSTINAE; Hexastyle temple, cult statue of Faustina inside
    Ref.: RIC 343
    Ex J.B. Collection (Edmonton), Ex AMCC 2, Lot 153 (Nov. 9, 2019)

One of my favorite reverse types on Roman coins is the AEDIS types showing the temple of Faustina. Many of the engravers chose to emphasize different architectural details on the types and denominations to the point that one can almost reconstruct a realistic view of the building by studying them all together. I bought this example specifically for the prominent depiction of the cult statue of Faustina which has miraculously survived from the waist down and can still be seen today if one visits the remains of the temple.

This coin also comes with a known provenance back to 2002 as part of the J.B. Collection and was sold through AMCC. I like it when collectors include their tag with their collection. This collector was apparently friends with at least one of our members and it was revealed that he recently passed away. I am honored to take ownership of this coin and will make sure it retains the link to his collection so long as I own it.

J.B._Collection_Tag.jpg
    Tag from the J.B. Collection

Category: $51 - $60

Commodus_Sest_179_CSH.jpg
    Roman Empire
    Commodus under Marcus Aurelius
    AE Sestertius, Rome mint, struck ca. AD 179
    Dia.: 33 mm
    Wt.: 26.37 g
    Obv.: L AVREL COMMODVS AVG TR P IIII; Laureate head of Commodus right
    Rev.: IMP III COS II P P S C; Minerva standing left extending right hand, left hand resting on shield on ground to right, spear resting against shield
    Ref.: RIC III 1607 p. 342 (under Marcus Aurelius)

Ex Kenneth W. Dorney Auction 9, Lot 105 (Nov. 29, 2019)

How about 33 mm and 27 grams of Commodus to close out my Roman purchases for the year? I purchased this coin from @Ken Dorney 's most recent auction and was surprised to win it for the price I did. This is a fantastic coin for this price. It is my largest coin of 2019 and has a pleasant dark colored patina. I really like the younger portraits of Commodus under Marcus Aurelius because you can really see the family resemblance when compared to the young coins of Marcus. Unfortunately, their leadership styles seem to diverge more and more in relation to their portrait style.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Nice coins, and great photography. Personal preference is surely the Faustina Senior denarius. :headphone:

Roman Collector and Curtisimo like this.
  4. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Well-Known Member

My favourite is the Thessaly, I had that on my watch list as well :D

Curtisimo likes this.
  5. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

A top collection of coins for an average $40 each, this type of thread is great for the new collectors and those on a budget as most of those coins are also in great condition with good detail worthy of any collection.

6. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Excellent concept for a thread! And great looking specimens!!! :singing::happy:;)

Curtisimo likes this.
  7. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Thank you @Curtisimo, your thread will hopefully help to inspire some on the fence to jump into ancient coins once they see its possible to obtain ancients with great detail and beauty for less than $60

Curtisimo likes this.
  8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice coins. I picked Sev. Alexander and Commodus

Curtisimo likes this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I prefer the Commodus for style and The Faustina for reverse and tone. The Krannon would have gone for more were it free of that edge irregularity but, as is, I would call it the best bargain. These show one option we have for collecting. You and I would buy 6 coins for $240 rather that one coin for $2400 or a pile of indecipherable uncleaned for one or the other of those figures. A down payment on the $2400 coin might offer a better return when resold but those of us who do not plan on selling coins we like while we are alive can buy what we wish without remorse. I'd like to post my similar spread but I am holding out to see if I get something by December 31 that will bust into the list. A guy can hope....I hope.:angelic:

10. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Why don't you just go ahead & specifically name me...sheesh! :hilarious::p:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:!

Curtisimo likes this.
  11. Sallent

Hold up @Curtisimo , you say your sticker is BCD collection?

I ask because I remember I got this with my Larissa coin when I bought it, but no actual collection provenance was ever listed. I kept the ticket on the hope I could identify the provenance one day.

Yours
    BCD_Tag_2.41.jpg

Mine

IMG_20191207_125820261.jpg IMG_20191207_125837198.jpg

What do you think? Looks like I just discovered who the mystery ticket maker was, right?

PS: the dirty side came from two coin-sized photos that were included with the ticket. They have a dark grey reverse and looks like rubbing over the years left those marks on one side of the ticket.

IMG_20191207_130701713.jpg

Edit: Thanks to Curtisimo I also found out who CC was. Thank you.

12. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

That is indisputably a BCD coin. He has even explained himself on the forum the reason for including the Polaroid was to check for die matches when his coins were in storage.

I’ll dig in and find the post and link to it here.

Edit to add: here is the post I mentioned with more info from BCD. The entire thread is really worth a read.
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/bcd-coins-whats-included.281007/#post-2466267

Roman Collector likes this.
  13. Sallent

That would be cool. You'd think Agora Auctions would have described the coin as Ex. BCD but they didn't even bother to mention the coin had any provenance. I was surprised to receive the old ticket, but there was no description as to whom had made it so it remained a mystery to me until I saw your ticket photo today.

Kind of like how I discovered I had two Ex. SC coins last year because I kept some old tickets despite not knowing at the time who made them, until someone else posted a similar ticket here last year.

Alegandron and Curtisimo like this.
  14. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

All lovely coins and great deals! I, of course, have a soft spot for Faustina I. This is an interesting reverse type, particularly (as you noted) the temple remains are still standing in Rome. Three of her denarii depict the temple.

This one was struck in AD 143, when the temple was dedicated and first under construction:

Faustina Sr DEDICATIO AEDIS denarius.jpg

Another one, also thought to be from AD 143, bears the reverse inscription PIETAS AVG or PIETAS AVGVSTI. I don't yet have one in my collection. This is an example from the British Museum:

00664584_001_l.jpg

Lastly, the AED DIVA FAVSTINAE denarius was struck in AD 150/51 for the 10th anniversary of Faustina's death and deification:

Faustina Sr AED DIV FAVSTINAE denarius.JPG

15. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

+ until a few years ago they used to also have the old envelopes, but I guess whoever had them before me threw them out.. I found out that hey sold as a lot from Gorny & Mosch in 2016, + were later split up + sold on Ebay, and I got about half of them (all of the silver coins + a few bronze..)
    but when they were sold on Ebay the seller didn't even mention that they were from the 1942 auction, but did say they came with old tags.. so i got a pretty good deal..

upload_2019-12-7_14-25-34.png
    I still have 9 or 10 , Here is a Trajan Decius, maybe overstruck Severus Alexander, Caracalla or Elagabalus?
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

These coins were one of the highlights of AMCC 2. I won 2 of them and regret not going after the others more strongly. Thank you for the additional information.

Would it be alright with you if I send you a PM with some questions about some of the other coins I won in the auction that came from your collection?

Roman Collector likes this.
  17. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

yeah, sure.

Curtisimo likes this.
  18. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

My favorite is the Krannon, but all are nice and interesting, especially for the prices and the provenience.

Curtisimo likes this.
  19. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Thanks and thank you for the kind words about the photos :) I enjoy photographing my collection as I have time.

I was extremely excited to win that one early in the auction. Sounds like we share some of the same taste in coins :)

Thanks AA. Your comments are always so nice and are always welcome. I figured the Faustina would be right up your alley. I blame you for tempting me to buy more architecture coins :greedy::D

Thanks ACH. :)

happy_collector likes this.
  20. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Beautifull additions Curtis! Your photography is supberbly done. I like them all!:)

Curtisimo likes this.
  21. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I may be slightly partial to the Krannon. :D That Commodus is an awesome pickup for the price though! I tried for a few of the Helbing coins, but got soundly shut out. Great scores all around, Curtis. I’m almost done with my $1-$100 list, and it appears to have a bunch of AMCC 2 coins in it too. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted