Current Silver Trend

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Tater, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I got an email from Apmex about a spring sale on silver. I been wanting to buy silver for a while and have thought if it got below $12.00 I would pull the trigger and do it. Well I'm getting cold feet. The current trend as of late is in decline. As the DOW post modest gains the dollar strengthens and silver falls. I don't see this changing much. I don't think good times are here, but its looking better. So thoughts on silver, time to buy or wait till it drops more? Cyrstal ball time, I know.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Luis

Luis Senior Member

The way I see it, it's only a matter of time until silver is worth 20$ again. Maybe in 1 year, maybe 5. Who knows? What you need to ask yourself is whether or not you can afford to use this money on a long-term investment. If you can, I don't see why not.

What if silver goes to 11 next, then 10, or even 8? Well, buy more then.

Now that being said, I wouldn't buy it if the plan was to make short-term profit...

4. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I understand long term. I'm still holding gold that I bought in 99 and 2000. Man i wish I had more.

5. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Buy the silver or regret it later on. If you won't be happy unless you buy at the exact bottom, you will always be disappointed. Trend following is a legitimate attempt to time purchases and if that makes you more comfortable, only buy when silver has risen $1 from a prior low level. You'll still get a decent price.

6. Danr

Danr Numismatist

I am a buyer below $6.00 (other than numismatic silver that is).

7. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Doolar cost average over the next 2 or 3 months. Of you feel the need to get a larger portion all at once, wait 4-6 weeks. Still buy smaller ammounts over this timeframe. Check the charts for the past 5 years for the months may-july.

8. kevcoins

kevcoins Senior Roll Sercher

i thought that during these ''hard'' times a lot more people would buy gold and silver therefore increasing the value

9. covert coins

covert coins Coin Hoarder

I personally think it is a long way off before silver hits $20/ounce. Silver is going to back down significantly. Wait a bit and it will pay off. Then buy.

10. Blue Angel

Blue Angel Senior Member

I NEVER stop buying....dollar cost averaging all the way down, up, then down again....excellent time to buy in my opinion.

11. Benz Coinz

Benz Coinz www.benzcoinz.com

I am currently buying 100's of ounces a week at over spot, have been for a while and will be even more aggressive if it drops to $10.00 again.

12. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

They are take my word for it and most are paying well over spot especially for gold. Premium over spot for silver has started to drop a bit but I'm talking PHYSICAL here NOT on paper.

Big difference.

13. Rono

Rono Senior Member

Howdy,

There has been an enormous divergence develop between the paper price of bullion and the street price. Some of the 'gold-bugs' feel this is due to some grand conspiracy on the part of central banks and whatnot. feh. I think it's just a simple case of manipulation by anyone positioned in such as way as is able to manipulate the market. Hell, if I could manipulate the market, I would in a heartbeat. For example, there are more futures contracts for silver than there is silver. You've also got a lot of naked shorting (illegal but not enforced). All this can suppress the POG but I still don't view this as some sort of conspiracy.

Regardless of the reasoning, the fact is that for almost a year now, the paper price of gold and silver have been well below the street price. And demand on the street is exactly what you supposed above - just out the door enormous. Most of the major mints have experienced shortages and supply interruptions. The US mint is still in a limited production mode, etc. Street demand is enormous. This translates one of two ways - either in extremely high premiums or lack of supply. (note that this is classic econ 101 demand/supply curve for when you have artificial price controls - read: manipulation).

I'm buying and will continue to buy. Any price break like now is just a signal to buy more. But I'm buying real stuff that I keep and hold.

peace,

rono

14. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

There is a very big difference. In an age where nearly every promise has a significant probability of default, having a promise from someone to deliver silver to you should be heavily discounted from holding the real thing. If there is a Comex default on silver delivery because of the inability to find enough physical metal, all bets are off on how high prices could spike.

Draft saved Draft deleted