"Cupped" Kennedy Half

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dynoking, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

I picked this up this afternoon from a tellers drawer. At first I'm drawn to the slight darkening around Kennedy's profile, then similar darkening around the eagle. I notice a slight cup (concave) effect on the reverse. There is a slight ding on the rim at 3 o'clock and a gouge on the face of the rim between 7 & 8 o'clock when viewed from the obverse, but no visible damage to the devices or the fields. The coin lays flat on its rim with the obverse facing up and has a rock when faced obverse down. Is this an error or PMD? 83 Kennedy Obverse.jpeg 83 Kennedy Reverse.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Do a search of 2001 Kennedy Half under my screen name. I believe you'll enjoy the read...

Blissskr and Evan8 like this.
  4. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Do you still possess some of those coins?

5. Paddy54

Yes I do in fact I discovered it.....:)
    In fact about a year or so ago I gave one to Alan at coinzip.com .

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    BlackBeard_Thatch likes this.
  6. Paddy54

The 2001 Kennedy half's were not released until a few years later. They came in $50 bags mixed mint marks 50/50 p & d.
    While searching the bags noticed that some of the coins wouldn't stack. Then noticed the cupped like features and the die crack almost completely thought each star .
    What happen next was not a pleasant experience as a guy I knew said he knew Ken Potter and that he would show him my find. So I gave him one. Next thing I knew he got the credit for the discovery .
    He also still owes me money and never delivered on coins he had sold and promised to another friend.
    Well you know what they say about Karma.....

Stevearino and Evan8 like this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It's interesting to note the number of unusual coins that came from those 2001 Mixed P&D bags from the Mint. It was in one of those bags that I found the one missing the reverse clad layer...............and.............I'll be posting another anomaly in the next few weeks that I've held onto for the last 13 years from those bags. Stay tuned!

Chris

Stevearino likes this.
  8. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Ouch !!! I wasnt aware of this story! How messed up is that! I would slander that guys name all over the numismatic highway.
    I should talk, i got beat out of a whole roll of unc peace $ , well THAT will never happen again!!

9. cpm9ball

CORRECTION: They were $100 bags, and they were released in October, 2004.

That sucks! Maybe you should refer to it as the "Tea Pot-ter Dome Scandal".

Chris

Edited for a better title.

Paddy54 likes this.
  10. cpm9ball

I almost! had a similar experience happen with the 2005-S KS Silver Proof SQ with the die dent. It was covered in Coin World and the discovery was credited to someone out west. Fortunately, I had reported the coin to Billy Crawford, and he posted the discovery with a photo on his website more than a month before. It was Billy who was the first to refute the CW claim. It's just one of the reasons why I have always respected Billy Crawford.

Chris

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Stevearino and Paddy54 like this.
  11. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I named my crowbar Karma. It likes kneecaps

If that was my situation, that guy would have met Karma:)

12. Paddy54

I've seen bags on e bay for sale and they do carry a premium .
    Chris you are correct $100 bags 50/50 p &d mm.
    I do recall Alan had his graded will post mine later

13. Paddy54

If you look at the date of my original post you'll see I posted here first. Then the story broke....elsewhere in a write up .

14. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

I read your first post but couldn't find the September/October 2008 Errorscope. Does anybody have a link to it?
    I did find this CW write up.

Attached Files:

15. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Paddy54 likes this.
  16. Paddy54

Thanks for pulling this thread up :)

Blissskr likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted