Culled Silver Dollars and Half Dollars

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by icollectoldmoney, Aug 24, 2016.

1. icollectoldmoney

icollectoldmoney ANA Member:3192499

How much do culled Morgan's and peace dollars and culled half dollar's have in silver content.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

90%

Kentucky likes this.
  4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Half dollars 1965 - 1970 40%.

Kentucky likes this.
  5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Half dollars are like .36 of an ounce and morgans and peace are like .77 of an ounce.

6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I assume what you meant to ask is how much is lost due to circulation, etc? If so, it's fairly minimal and no one is likely to cut you a deal due to lost weight; that's now how they're generally sold.

7. icollectoldmoney

No I was trying to see how much silver content was in them so I know what would be my best buy in price.

8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Put "metal value of US coins on Google".

9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

You will struggle to find anyone selling any kind of morgan short of massive damage for melt. May have better luck with peace dollars but generally not

10. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

11. icollectoldmoney

Well their a local pawnshop that'd got a box of Morgan's and peace dollars for $15 a peace culled coins.

12. BooksB4Coins

Please don't take this wrong, but google is our friend. Oftentimes, and especially with fairly straightforward questions, one can easily locate answers on their own, which is certainly handy when/if you don't have the time to post to the forum or wait for replies. Just a friendly suggestion. :)

As baseball said, expecting to buy dollars at straight melt in any type of retail setting is, unfortunately, likely to be an exercise in futility. Dollars in particular have, and long have sold at premiums above and beyond their silver content, even culls, damaged, cleaned, etc and so on (with a few exceptions). Being as you're a new collector, I cannot stress enough that focusing on price, or getting a "deal" will likely cause more harm than good. It's not that deals can't be found - they, of course, can - but it's much easier to walk into a sucker's bet, especially for those less than knowledgeable about what they're buying.

Kentucky likes this.
  13. BooksB4Coins

This, if true, would represent only a fairly tiny premium, but you need to know what you're buying and be confident you can identify genuine examples, even when buying as culls or scrap.

14. icollectoldmoney

Yes I know the guy is a very respectable guy and he is a coin collector or dealer also.

15. BooksB4Coins

That's good if true, but the point still stands. It's great to have a trustworthy source, but YOU need to know what you're buying. Good luck.

16. Kentucky

Which is what points to something being wrong. At least take along a magnet and see if any of them are iron/plated iron. Also would be a good idea to take a cell phone pic of them in the store and then weigh them and if any of them are REALLY light, you could bounce them back on him.

17. icollectoldmoney

Well will do I am going to get some in a few mintues ready to stack silver.

18. Kentucky

Good Luck

19. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Draft saved Draft deleted