Cucumbor's six - 2016 review

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Cucumbor, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

It seems to be fashionable to post our 2016 top of the pops these days !
    This year as been a bit of a spring in some ways : after three years of very small spending on coins, I've been able to add 25 coins to my collections. I've selected six of them that fit the bill of being out-standing for various reasons.

6 - rarity

14 of my acquisitions of the year were for the principality of Dombes, gap fillers for the most part, with one exception being a double tournois minted in 1640, second or third known example of this type that year

[​IMG]
    Gaston d'Orleans (1627-1650)
    Double Tournois type 16, cuivre - 1640 - RRR
    Atelier de Trévoux
    + GASTON . VSV D . LA . S[OVV . DO]M . G Buste drapé à l'antique à droite
    + DOVBLE . TOVRN[OIS . 1]640 Trois lis sous un lambel
    2.62 gr
    Ref : Divo Dombes # 205, CGKL # 752 (a4), Boudeau # 108

5 - style

The coinage of Mark Antony is very exciting and rewarding in terms of fascinating types and most important historical background. That said, stylewise, we have to admit his coins rarely show the best of engravors talent. When I saw the following, despite it's wear and flaws, I knew I had to have it :

[​IMG]
    Mark Antony, Denarius Struck in a travelling mint, moving with Mark Antony in 41 BC
    ANT AVG IMP III VI R P C, Head of Mark Antony right
    Fortuna standing left, holding rudder in right hand and cornucopiae in left; at feet, stork; below, PIETAS COS
    3,82 gr - 20 mm
    Ref : Crawford # 516/2, Sydenham # 1174, HCRI # 241, C # 77

The following comment is copied from NAC auction # 52/294 about the very rare corresponding aureus :
    The year 41 B.C., when this aureus was struck at a mint travelling in the East with Marc Antony, was a period of unusual calm for the triumvir, who took a welcomed, if unexpected, rest after the great victory he and Octavian had won late in 42 B.C. against Brutus and Cassius at the Battle of Philippi. Antony’s original plan of organising an invasion of Parthia was put on hold after he sailed to Tarsus, where he had summoned Cleopatra VII, the Greek queen of Egypt. She was to defend herself against accusations that she had aided Brutus and Cassius before Philippi, but it is generally agreed that the summons was merely a pretext for Antony’s plan to secure aid for his Parthian campaign. Their meeting was anything but a source of conflict; indeed, they found much common ground, including their agreement that it was in their mutual interests to execute Cleopatra’s sister and rival Arsinoe IV, who had been ruling Cyprus. In addition to sharing political interests, the two agreed that Antony would winter in Egypt to share a luxurious vacation with Cleopatra that caused a further postponement of Antony’s designs on Parthia. Thus began another of the queen’s liaisons with noble Romans, a prior having been Julius Caesar (and, according to Plutarch, Pompey Jr. before him). During the course of his stay in Egypt Cleopatra was impregnated, which resulted in twins born to her in 40 B.C. But this care-free period was only a momentary calm in the storm, for trouble was brewing in both the East and the West. Early in 40 B.C. Syria was overrun by the Parthians, seemingly while Antony travelled to Italy to meet Octavian following the Perusine War, in which Octavian defeated the armies of Antony’s wife and brother. The conflict with Octavian was resolved when they signed a pact at Brundisium in October, and Syria was eventually recovered through the efforts of Antony’s commanders from 40 to 38 B.C.

4 - long sought after

For decades I've been running after a Livia middle bronze. She was the main character in the play, the only one to whom everyone was related, either by blood, poison or politics. Although they're not rare, it's been quite difficult for me to find one that I and my wallet would equaly like

[​IMG]
    Livia (+ AD 29), Dupondius Rome mint, AD 22-23 under the reign of Tiberius
    SALVS AVGVSTA, draped bust of Salus (Livia) right
    TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVG P M TR POT XXIIII, around large S C
    13.90 g, 27 mm,.
    Ref : RCV # 1740 (450), Cohen # 5 (6), RIC I, 47.

3 - beauty

That one hasn't been on my list (I didn't even know it existed before I saw it), and I'm rather straight about attractiveness, but I've been blown away by the beauty of that portrait

[​IMG]
    M. Plaetorius M.f. Cestianus. Denarius Rome mint, c. 69 BC
    Male head right (Mercury ?) with flowing hair. Behind symbol
    M·PLAETORI – CEST·EX·S·C Winged caduceus
    18 mm, 3,86 gr
    Ref : RCV #344, RSC Plaetoria # 5, Sydenham # 807, RBW # 1453, Crawford # 405/5
    From the E.E. Clain-Stefanelli collection

2 - friendship

I've bought the following for the first time in 2005. In 2008 I sold it to a very good friend who sadly passed away four years ago. I've since stayed in contact with his mother who is, as one can imagine, still devastated by the loss of her sole kid. For the first time this year we had the opportunity to meet in real life, and in loving memory of her son and our friendship she offered to give it back to me. Of course I refused unless she would sell it back instead of giving it

0311-320.jpg
    Otacilia Severa, Sestertius struck in Rome on a medallic flan, 244-245 AD
    MARCIA OTACIL SEVERA AVG, Diademed and draped bust of Otacilia right
    PVDICITIA AVG. Pudicitia seated left holding sceptre
    22.70 gr, 35 mm
    Ref : Cohen # 55, RC #9169

1 - love

For hours, and for sentimental reasons, I've hesitated about which of the two first coins would be #1, and being quite an optimistic guy I decided life is above death so here is #1. As I told in the related thread (https://www.cointalk.com/threads/between-my-wife-and-i-an-owl-story.280813/) my wife is kind enough to support my passion for coins and sometimes spend much more than I would dare to just for gifting me with some astounding coin. She, and the coin she bought for me deserves to be #1 any day

[​IMG]
    ATTICA, Athens. Circa 454-404 BC. AR Tetradrachm
    Helmeted head of Athena right, with frontal eye
    Owl standing right, head facing, olive sprig and crescent behind, all within incuse square. ΑΘΕ in the right field
    24mm, 17.08 g, 8h
    Ref : Kroll # 8; HGC # 4,1597

I wish to all and everyone a merry Xmas and a happy new year
    Q

Meander, dadams, Curtisimo and 29 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Those are great coins and I enjoyed the stories that went along with them. I happen to like the Marc, Gaston, & Athens best.

Cucumbor likes this.
  4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I really like the thematic approach you have taken in presenting your top choices. Personally, I really like the Marc Antony. I agree he has many interesting coins. I have 4 but am always looking for more. I also agree with you concerning the beauty of that portrait on the Cestianus.

Cucumbor likes this.
  5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Sorry about your number two coin and your loss. It is nice that you can add something back to your collection that was cherished by your friend. Also, your wife is so much more amazing than that coin, but I sure do love your coin! I remember when that thread was posted.

Cucumbor likes this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

What an outstanding presentation! Learning the stories behind your choices is the best part :).

7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, Q => that's very deep and meaningful (I literally teared-up at #2 and #1)

=> fantastic coins ... and you sound like a fantastic dude (congrats on both, my cool coin-friend)

Cheers

... oh, but #4 and #3 are my favourites for coin-reasons

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    Cucumbor likes this.
  8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Lovely coins. I especially like the Marc Antony and the big Otacilia Severa (and all the more for the story behind it).

Cucumbor likes this.
  9. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

It's a very intimate , sincere and friendly show. Congrats.. and Happy Holidays.

Cucumbor likes this.
  10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Gorgeous coins and wonderful stories @Cucumbor ! I was struck by 1 & 2. Heart-rending on 2, and Heart-love on 1. I am searching the same as you had on Livia. However, ALL your coins are outstanding!

Cucumbor likes this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I hope new people here will read and appreciate the 'why' explanations we post. Not everyone will appreciate the idea that there is a reason to collect beyond capital gains but we can encourage those who do. #5 is exceptionally good style for that ugly old guy.

12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very much agreed on collecting reasons.

LOL, and very much agreed... I always thought Antony was a purdy homely dude...

Cucumbor likes this.
  13. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I love this list! Not just for the coins, but the reasons you shared for their inclusion on the list. Also totally agree with Doug about #5.

Cucumbor likes this.
  14. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Beautiful coins and wonderful write-ups! It looks like you had a very memorable coin year. Learning the reasons why someone wanted a coin is just as fascinating as the cold hard facts about it.

Cucumbor likes this.
  15. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

What can I say that hasn't already been said. I applaud all your reasons.
    Applause.jpg

Cucumbor likes this.
  16. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

I agree with Bing well deserved applause Cucumbor, that is one great selection, it looks like your wait for a Livia was well worth it, lovely portrait and your Athens Tet is one of the best I have seen congrats on a good coin year, and hope you and your family have a merry Xmas as well. :happy::happy::happy:

Cucumbor likes this.
  17. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Excellent coins Q, your gift from your wife is my favorite, all are awesome though.

Cucumbor likes this.
  18. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

A wonderful and touching set of coins. Thank you for sharing!

Cucumbor likes this.
  19. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

A very nice group, each obviously special to you in its own way.

Your selection, and the thoughts you express confirm that it is not the 'value' of the coins that matters the most - It's the meaning, messages and memories they convey to us that matter.

Je vous félicite, monsieur.

Cucumbor likes this.
  20. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the kind words, very much appreciated

Q

Sallent and randygeki like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted