Featured Cracker’s Remorse – Second Thoughts on the Dansco 7070 U.S. Type Set

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by illini420, Sep 20, 2009.

1. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

The NGC Set Registry has a Dansco 7070 set category which allows folks to put in their slabbed coins into to fill the spots required by the Dansco 7070 type set album. The Dansco 7070 album is a type set album, but is definitely not a complete type set album... a type set is basically one example of every type/design of coin produced... So going backwards with the cent you'd have the following coins... a 2010-date Shield Cent, one of each of the 2009 designs, a 1982-2008 zinc memorial cent, a 1959-1982 copper memorial cent, a 1909-1958 wheat cent, a 1943 steel cent, a 1909 VDB wheat cent, a 1864-1909 indian head cent and so on.... and you'd do this for every denomination. Since there are some very rare designs/types (like the small eagle 1796-97 half dollars), many albums only focus on the major changes in design. That also makes the album a more reasonable size too. Both the PCGS and NGC set registries have fairly complete US type sets which cover all of the different types if you're going to go with slabbed coins... if you're going to go with an album, this thread already covers how I feel about cracking high grade/high value coins for albums. I'd only do lower graded coins in an album if I were to start one up again.

Glad my thread got bumped up and that some people can maybe learn from my "fun" :) Have a great Holiday!

kaosleeroy108 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Thank you for posting this. I hope it will serve as an eye-opener for some of those who prefer to buy certified coins and crack them for their albums. In most cases, they will only lose money if the need ever arises to sell some or all of the coins.

Chris

4. bhaugh

bhaugh AKA - 1872Hokie

5. playpossum0985

playpossum0985 Global Cooling Protester

Does anyone think, that as a society, we will not be able to use the word "Cracker" anymore? Hasn't history taught us anything? Crackers Remorse is what led to the downfall of this country in the first place! Gee whiz people! Sorry just had to get that out.... I'm craving a biscuit now!

micbraun likes this.
  6. Moondog

Moondog New Member

I admit, I did not read every single reply. However, I believe I read at least 3/4 of the replies. The common thread seems to be the regret in the "perceived loss of value" of coins broken from a slab. I also, admit that I have purchased slabbed coins and now have those "cracked out" and in my album/s. I have no regrets about "cracking" those slabs. The reason I began collecting coins in the 1st place was because of my interest in old coins. The true value is what I perceive it to be. I have coins over 100 years old that would grade 60-65, that I paid a relatively small amount for. I have much more recent coins, that do not grade so highly, that I paid a lot more for. However, my interest is in collecting the nicest coins I can afford, to complete my set/s.
    As collectors, I'm sure most of you realize that as an investment, a set will bring much more when sold as individual coins, rather than being sold as a complete set. However, I understand that trying to sell a complete set as individual coins could take a while. All that being said, I believe that too many collectors have forgotten why they began collecting in the 1st place. For the happiness it brings to the collector, not the investment value.
    If I collected for the investment value, I couldn't care less what the coin (or anything else) looks like, as long as it brought a good return.
    When I purchase a coin, it is not with the intention of buying that coin to turn a profit. I am not a coin dealer. My coins I collected because of my own interest, and the way it makes me feel to own a small piece of history. Not for the "value" someone else has placed on my coins.
    Many times I have looked a old "worn" coin in my collection and let my imagination wander. Where has that coin been? How many people have touched that coin? What transactions has it been involved in? That's the "REAL VALUE".

sgt23, green18, dwhiz and 1 other person like this.
  7. jrw711

jrw711 Member

Having grown up using Dansco Albums.....I always enjoyed the ability to see the albumed collection. I would like to see Dansco make "slab" insert pages for albums on maybe just dedicated "slab" albums for the collection series one collects.

8. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Well Said Moondog.

9. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Way to resurrect a 5 year old thread. :)

I own slabbed coins from PCGS, NGC, ANACS, PCI, ICG, and even a basement slab I bought for the novelty value. I've generally been leaving slabbed coins in their holders. I'm a little afraid of damaging the coins by removing them from the holders, but I am considering breaking out my one PCI coin because I've heard they can cause toning, and I don't want additional toning -- I like the coin the way it is.

I also haven't sent any raw coins in yet, but this might change. My raw coins currently reside in Air-Tites. I'm no big fan of the Dansco slide-type albums. I think between the slides and the cardboard, you're just asking for trouble putting high-value coins in there. I might get an Air-Tite album at some point. Or, who knows, maybe when I finish my current sets, I'll make a project of getting them all into uniform TPG holders.

It looks like most of the "cracker's remorse" stories actually turned out okay, roughly breaking even on the coins. That, at least, gives me some hope. :)

micbraun likes this.
  10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Well said Moondog.....you ever 'surf'?

11. Avalon

Avalon New Member

12. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Very interesting post about your experience with a type set and cracking slabs! Very informative. I want to start a set so this will help a lot.
    What is your "cracker" that you mentioned? How do you crack them out of the slabs?
    And are there actually pages that fit the slab inserts? Where to find those?
    I'll be doing low prices coins so I'm not too shy about cracking them out. If I ever get to expensive ones, we'll see how I feel then! But I'm not too concerned about reselling. I have no one to leave them to, and unless something really bad happens economically, I don't think I'll need the dough for retirement.
    Thanks

kaosleeroy108 likes this.
  13. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

Just no just taken no , no chance no way

14. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Interesting history of your slab breaking type set experience. Thanks. Although I have to admit I didn't get much of a caution about breaking slabs. It sounds like you lost very little money. I'm just starting a type set in an Intercept album. If I buy slabs for it, I will break them out. But I doubt I'll be paying what you paid. I will have to settle for lower priced, lower grade coins on the expensive stuff.

15. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

You can use end-cutting pliers to break the slab into a couple of large chunks that can be gently pulled apart.

16. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'm trying to picture where you would make the cut. I don't have that tool, so I think I'll try the vise method first. I have my very first slab coin on the way!

17. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Nice thread. I’d keep only very few of the coins shown in the original post in their slabs. E.g. the 1814 classic head cent is a tough coin in AU55. I’d not hesitate to crack out a common year gold coin and would try to fill all slots of the Dansco, if possible.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  18. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

Very interesting! And as many times as I've considered cracking a proof set, I amniw glad I haven't.

19. kaosleeroy108

Look that type set is worth more then most my collection..lol

20. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Why exactly? I'm going to.
    I didn't see much here that scares me away. His losses look very small. Unless I missed something! Many "small losses" and some good gains, came out to a small loss over all. I can live with that.

Mike Davis and kaosleeroy108 like this.
  21. kaosleeroy108

It's always about choices in the end , if you choose to crack open a Ms or proof 70 your choice I prefer to keep the slabs in slab .. you lose there value dramatically... Just my opinion

Draft saved Draft deleted