Featured Cracker’s Remorse – Second Thoughts on the Dansco 7070 U.S. Type Set

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by illini420, Sep 20, 2009.

1. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

http://www.brent-krueger.com/eagleholders2.html#EAGLE CERTIFIED COIN STORAGE ALBUMS

I use Eagle brand certified coin albums for carrying my slabs around now when they are not locked away at the bank. I like them and highly recommend them. The pages are somewhat bigger than a Dansco album page, but you may be able to modify one of them to work. Of course, the page is a little thicker than a slab (as I'm sure you could guess) so I'm not sure how well any slab holder will fit in a Dansco unless you buy a larger thickness Dansco album to accomodate the extra thickness of the slabs.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

to break or not to break

Rather than breaking slabs:hammer:, what I do for my Dansco bust half books is to print out 100% (correct size) images, glue them together, carefully trip them to the correct diameter and stick them in the opening. If anyone asks to see the actual coin, then show them the slab.

I do this because I know that I will eventually sell most of my bust halves to work on other collections.

NSP and Kasia like this.
  4. silverhoard

silverhoard Junior Member

great post! it has changed my mind on cracking some of mine out of slabs! ;)

5. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

:thumb:

Cracking isn't bad in all circumstances, but you do definitely need to think before you crack :)

6. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Junior Member

Hi,
    I've just recently started putting together a Dansco 7070. I haven't experienced any "cracker's remorse" yet, mainly because I only have two coins that were slabbed in there.

However my rationale for the set is a bit different. While there are some coins that are easy to find in nice BU condition, much of the set is going to be circulated coins. VF-XF, or lower depending on cost or if I like it in another grade.

When looking for the circulated coins I'm looking for a sort of look that highlights the design, AKA a "Circ-Cam", or worn in such a way that it looks like a sketch. I've only got one such coin, with another on the way:

[​IMG]

I plan on making this particular page the highlight of the album with similarly-worn coins. I see BU coins all the time and I wanted to do something different, plus using a lot of circ coins sort of commemorates a certain project I worked on.

Certainly the use of circ coins keeps costs down significantly. But personally I don't think I would make a set like this using higher end coins.

7. CheetahCats

CheetahCats Colonial & Early American

I don't use the books, I use 1.5" and 2" sleeve sheets. For specimens that are slabs, I insert a trimmed sheet of paper that references the slab. Hadn't thought about actually printing a photo though and trimming the sheet. Great suggestion. :thumb:

8. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

A great cautionary tale about "crackouts". I have purchased all my key dates in graded slabs from one of the big 3; PCGS, NGC and ANACS. I often stare longingly at the holes in my albums and ask myself "Why not crack out those key dates? It is after all my collection. And wouldn't it look so much better with the holes filled by what I know to be an authentic coin."

What's kept me from doing it thus far, is that I know when/if I decide to sell, I'll either have to get them re-graded, or take a loss. This post confirmed my fears.

9. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

The nice thing about slabs is there is a very good chance that the TPG (or auction house, e.g., Heritage) already has a high resolution photographs that you can download as a JPEG. Insert them in a word document, size them to the proper diameter and print them on a decent ink jet or color copier.

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Someone on the NGC forum came up with a solution for this dilemma. Instead of cracking the coin, they take hi-res photos and cut them out and itsert them in their Dansco with the grading info noted below.

Chris

11. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Here is my version of you solution. I don't take the photos (for the album, anyway, and it does not look like a coin, but it is a lot quicker.

Attached Files:

NSP, Kasia and fireguy83 like this.
  12. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Thats an interesting way of doing it RLM...
    Very engenius!!

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

There is nothing wrong with this method either. It's just that some collectors have most of their coins stored in a safety deposit box, and the photos give them a chance to admire what would be a PITA to get out of the SDB.

Chris

14. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Definitely. But even having nice pics available isn't always enough. I find my self stopping at the bank regularly to visit my coins... I think I annoy a few of the tellers because I visit the box so often but that's just too bad for them!!!

15. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

i have enjoyed reading this post.. its kindda chilling to read i hate the concept of breaking slabs.. i crenge even at the thought... what goes int a type set any way??

16. prolawn_care

prolawn_care New Member

a lot of money!!!

17. EyeEatWheaties

EyeEatWheaties Cent Hoarder

search for the key dates in low grade that are graded as genuine... and crackem out!

18. CoinKeeper

CoinKeeper Keeper of Coins

I kind of have two type sets that I'm working on. Almost all the coins in my 7070 Dansco are in circulated condition. My large cents, older pieces in general are for the most part problem free G-VF condition. I also have a 20th century type set where all the coins are in mintstate (and graded) condition.

19. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Me too.
    But they'll get over it.
    And if you try to go at slack time, you're not impacting other customers.

20. wledswift

wledswift New Member

Did the same with my MS wheat set. Cracked 25 coins. I still haven't got half of the coins back into TPGs. It did look very pretty in the Dansco and impressed my friends when I brought it out, but It took me a few years to realize I had probably made a mistake. I use my freebie and discount cupons whenever they come in. I am now trying to TPG the complete set,even the ones that probably don't deserve it. I'll just display them in boxxes instead of an album.

21. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

no i mean physically now , what coins comprise it, i want to build one.. or at least compile on from what i already have..

Draft saved Draft deleted