Covid Impact on Coin Market

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Derek2200, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

Shows are dead. Is PCGS still shutdown?

Online active but what direction market? Your thoughts?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

For ancients, seems kind of hit or miss. Some big auctions selling big coins for bigger than average prices. Run of the mill collector coins seem steady so slightly soft.

I guess kind of the state of the general coin hobby overall for the last 20 years now that I type this. Ancients were appreciating quickly, right now I see a little softness for F-VF, (US graded VF-XF) average collector material.

4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Rather strange to just post in a thread about this exact topic and then start a new thread minutes later

5. Andrew McMenamin

Andrew McMenamin Nerva You Mind

I think the virus will affect the market for a short while, especially in Europe, but I do not foresee a major or long-term impact, good or bad.

6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I was in my dealers shop yesterday. Other than a few random items, his shelves were bare. He said folks are using their government checks to buy coins & bullion but he expects if this shutdown goes on much longer that they will be bringing it back to re-sell back to him. He had more old bottles and such on his shelves than he did coins. He tends to buy his stock inventory from other dealers at shows.... He did take two custom orders from me that he will hunt down at his wholesale outlets though...... And I did score a bag of fudge from his wife... Yum.

Bambam8778 likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I'll take the old bottles and the fudge. Coins are up in price and lots of people are buying coins and bullion. Panic buying, like the end of civilization as we know it. Ridiculous!

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Fair point. I wasn't thinking about bullion, I was thinking about rare coins in my post. I imagine bullion is crazy, it always is in times like this. I tend to stay far away from the bullion market in times like these, preferring to add to my pile when not even the cointalk bullion section is talking about it really.

Add to positions in boring times, look at liquidation points during turbulence. My motto. I will wait for the runup after the dust has settled. If it doesn't happen, I will add more when premiums decline again.

9. ddddd

ddddd Member

10. Derek2200

Interesting they may be spending money they may need for food on down the line on bullion at shop.

11. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Score on the fudge! You just gave me a wonderful memory of going over to grandma's house after she called and said she just made a fresh batch! :)

12. Bambam8778

I am a verrrrrrrrrry small time online dealer compared to most. I will tell you that I have been pleasantly surprised at a tiny increase in sales compared to this time other years. I have been getting more inventory up but even at that, it's common stuff and really they are album hole fillers. I haven't listed anything great at the moment. Getting this off the ground but I have seen an increase in traffic. On my website and my for sale postings. I think this for sure has boosted online traffic in our hobby!

13. Derek2200

Yes I have had some good online retail sales. Auction sales have done well too.

Bambam8778 likes this.
  14. Bambam8778

@Derek2200 , What's your online focus or do you have a general focus on everything?

Draft saved Draft deleted