Current Numismatic Market

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Tater, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Just curious for those that are more tied to the coin market if you are seeing the market move either up or down with this COVID-19 stuff.

Are more people online and looking and buying or are people turning conservative and holding onto their cash?

Wondering if any deals can be found?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

It depends. :p

For the toned coins I'm after (like Morgans), the prices are as strong as ever (with some items going for seemingly more each week).

It's also strong for bullion as premiums have shifted well above the low spot prices (I'm seeing Silver Eagles and 90% go for more now then it was a few months ago when spot prices were $2-$3 higher per oz). Gold is doing well too (but there the spot price is up).

Paul M. likes this.
  4. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

On Ebay, people seem to have a lot more time on their hands to browse for items that I desperately want and force me to pay an arm and a leg for.

tmoneyeagles and Histman like this.
  5. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I've made more sales in the recent two week period than in any two weeks I can recall, other than at a major show.

Santinidollar, Obone, Paul M. and 5 others like this.
  6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Up for a lot of things. Gold is very popular right now, sub 100 world coins are very popular right now as just a couple examples.

People are all going online for purchases with no shows or shops, and most people like to get something they enjoy to keep their mind off everything and they obviously have a lot more time to search for things and browse

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  7. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

It's hard to say. On the one hand, I've seen a higher volume of items appear for sale, but at the same time there's more people sifting through eBay, HA, Great Collections, CU BST, etc., as they have more time (and perhaps spending money) on their hands. I can't really tell if it's a buyer's or seller's market.

I've gotten a couple deals here and there on exonumia and classic commemoratives, but have had to pay decent premiums on silver and gold, bullion or numismatic. Platinum was a good buy about a month ago when it fell off a cliff. Modern issue mint stuff appears to be taking a hit, from MS70 First Strikes (whatever any of that means) to proof sets. I've seen some colonials and higher graded Morgans sell for fair prices; that being said, some more expensive rarities and higher graded items may be slipping through the cracks, if your pockets are deep right now.

Paul M. likes this.
  8. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

All I can say is that I bought a mint state bust half for under $1000 last week. The last time I did that was in the early 1980s.

I'm a happy camper with these prices.

9. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Have you post photos yet?

10. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

It's in the new acquisitions thread, but I'm happy to post it again.
    upload_2020-4-22_21-8-21.png upload_2020-4-22_21-8-43.png

11. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

thanks man see looks good

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It seems busier than it has been.

Tater likes this.
  13. baseball21

To be fair for a more accurate overall market view, 1831s in MS 61 regularly go for under $1000.

It's not a knock on your coin at all, but in terms of market perception it's not a new phenomena for under 1k over the last several years

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  14. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Some big Central States Auctions (without the actual convention) going on @ Heritage this week....tonight some high-end Saints go off around 9PM tonight.

Check them out in-between the NFL Draft.....:D

15. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I've been fairly active (for a collector, not a dealer) in the on-line auction and direct-sale market the last five or six weeks. And I've seen a mixed bag. There have been some good opportunities for nice, but not top-rate, coins in the 18th, 19th and early 20th century US market. I am not seeing anything that would approach a fire-sale situation. IMHO, the economy has not been down long enough to coax dealers or collectors to heavily discount in order to survive.

Paul M. likes this.
  16. GoldFinger1969

I have been watching the Saint-Gaudens 1907 High Relief market pretty closely (for general interest and to prepare for a possible 2021 purchase).....prices have been on a slight decline but no collapse.

Because of the absolute higher price of coins like a 1907 HR, you might be more willing to sell at a loss and still get a nice check than someone who has a pricey Morgan that they bought for $800 and doesn't want to sell for $650 today.

Paul M. likes this.
  17. erscolo

erscolo Well-Known Member

I have had no issues obtaining this first twelve coins for my mint state set of 1938. The two remaining coins, both Washington Quarters, are being very secretive, must be a fear of the virus. All of my coins thus far are MS-66, and the prices have been in line with what I would expect given their pcgs and ngc pricing.

Paul M. and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  18. GoldFinger1969

You bought 12 coins recently or tonight ?

19. GoldFinger1969

Tonight on HA (Central States auction but no convention)...A 1907 MS65 HR Saint went for $24,000 ($28,800 with bp)....this seems down from recent auctions and the online price guides, which admittedly tend to lag and would be expected to be higher (~$35,000 - $40,000). NGC shows $44,000 for a 65 Wire Edge and PCGS shows no sales prices lower going back years.

An MS67 HR sold right in the expected range, with the price being just above with the bp, and just below the expected price without the bp.

Most Saints were selling BELOW what the CDN or CDN CPG (what is this anyway ?) prices listed, but that's usually the case. A few mint mark population rarities went way above those prices.

I continue to wonder if slowly, with deaths and demographics, if the decades-long "strong hands" that held many 1907 HR's and kept the price very high relative to the population, if we are seeing those coins get sold or passed on (estates) and the people inheriting them have no interest in them and want the cash even at a 25% discount or whatever to FMV, screw the market.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    Paul M. likes this.
  20. baseball21

https://www.pcgs.com/auctionprices/details/1907-high-relief-wire-edge-ms/9135

High value NGC non CAC coins have generally been lower then their price guide for a while. In August 2019 (before any of this started) an NGC 65 sold for 31,200 which was down from April which was 33,600 etc.

It's an expensive enough coin where the quality can have big price swings, but overall non CAC high value NGC coins were one of the first areas I would have expected a price drop right now.

People can jump on me call me a troll whatever, the market sets the prices not us or our opinions. There has been a trend for many years where the more expensive the coin the more likely people will be suspect if it its CAC or at least PCGS

Paul M. likes this.
  21. GoldFinger1969

Yup, I checked this but like the NGC site because they graph the data.

You think the same exact coin in a PCGS slab gets that oft-discussed premium ?

And they have....even if these datapoints are off, the TREND of the graph is what is important:

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/united-states/gold-double-eagles/70/history/19135/65/

Not sure why that is trollish. But I don't think I understand your ending: the more expensive the coin....the more they are suspect if it's CAC ? PCGS ?

Do you mean that if it isn't PCGS and/or CAC they are more likely to discount ???

Paul M. and baseball21 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted