Covid-19 ...Post a Coin you are waiting on... if you DARE

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clavdivs, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Like most I am usually wary of posting a coin prior to having it in hand... however with the current situation mailing delays are the new normal. If you feel like rolling the dice and posting a new purchase please post it here so we can join in the excitement!
    *Previous thread was deleted due to some nasty comments. Lets not let the trolls ruin the fun.. lets continue to share our purchases and enjoy our hobby*

I will start off with my an inexpensive addition but my first coin featuring Neptune. Pretty excited and hope this will arrive soon!

upload_2020-7-5_0-23-22.png
    Claudius II, 268-270
    NEPTVN AVG
    Neptune standing, holding dolphin and trident.
    Sear III 11353. RIC 214 "Antioch" mint.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That's cool! I won this one at auction on May 17 and it only arrived last week!

Claudius II NEPTVN AVG.jpg

Ajax, Restitutor, Justin Lee and 12 others like this.
  4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That's a nice one, @Clavdivs. I won the coin below in a March 17th auction. It proceeded to sit in Germany until June 5th, when Deutsche Post finally allowed it to be shipped over to me. After over three weeks without a status update, I was starting to worry, but this thread prompted me to check again, and it appears that it arrived my central post office two days ago! With any luck, I'll have it in hand by Monday or Tuesday. :)

Troas Sigeion CNG pic 3200128.jpg
    TROAS, Sigeion
    AE20. 8.91g, 20mm. TROAS, Sigeion, circa 355-334 BC. SNG München 304-6; SNG von Aulock 1570; SNG Copenhagen 493. O: Head of Athena facing slightly right, wearing triple crested helmet and necklace. R: ΣIΓE, Double-bodied owl standing facing; crescent to right.
    Ex Dr. W.R. Collection; ex Demetrios Armounta Collection (CNG E-Auction 320, 12 Feb 2014, lot 128)

PeteB, Ajax, Trish and 19 others like this.
  5. Obone

Obone Well-Known Member

received_2139663182880079.jpeg
    Shipped to me about 3 weeks ago. I bought this for ID practice on the hammered. A quick look says there should be an Elizabeth I sixpence, a couple edward pennies and a couple half or full groats.

6. Clavdivs

"Double-bodied owl standing facing"
    Wow! What could be cooler than that? Great coin!

Restitutor, zumbly and Pellinore like this.
  7. zumbly

Thanks. A little freaky but definitely cool. I've always wanted since first seeing @stevex6's example. I wonder if anyone here is the current owner of his.

TIF likes this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I have also wanted the type since seeing his! I guess several of us will be bidding for the next one :D.

zumbly likes this.
  9. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

upload_2020-7-5_14-46-57.png
    This one is heading my way. LINGONES potin unit, 90-70 BC. Photo's are not superb, but I suspect the coin to be in very good condition. In dubio whether I will remove the sand patina or leave it as is ...

10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

That is a killer example. Wow, Z!

Clavdivs and zumbly like this.
  11. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

@Clavdivs that one is a very well centered and struck coin for Claudius II,
    Congrats !

Clavdivs likes this.
  12. zumbly

Thanks, Brian. If I recall correctly, you have a very neat double-bodied owl bronze yourself!

Roman Collector and Alegandron like this.
  13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Thanks. Not the best, but, hey, DOUBLE-BODIED OWLS??? That is too cool:

upload_2020-7-5_9-54-15.png
    Athens 340-317 BCE BC AE 12 Athena attic helmet R- Double bodied Owl with head facing E olive sprigs kalathos RARE BMC 224 R

14. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I don’t dare post a picture yet (I am too superstitious), but I have a coin coming from France which has been stuck in New York customs for nearly a month now...

I had a shipment from Hungry make it in 2-3 weeks, and a second shipment from Hungary currently on the way (6 days into its journey). I do most of my buying from European dealers, so I need to start focusing on US dealers while this continues (such as my recent CNG win which should be here Wednesday...)

Roman Collector and Alegandron like this.
  15. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

I daren't. But I do have some exciting things coming.

Clavdivs and Alegandron like this.
  16. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for four coins right now -- one each from England, France, Germany, and Spain. I don't dare to post any of them!

Clavdivs likes this.
  17. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

I don't even dare think too much about them especially since I moved to the countryside.

Clavdivs, ycon and DonnaML like this.
  18. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

I've got San Marino, Monaco, England and Germany.

DonnaML likes this.
  19. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Here is a coin I'm currently waiting for. I bought this Antoninus Pius Denarius from @Victor_Clark yesterday off of eBay for my burgeoning ancient coin collection. Hopefully, I’ll have it in hand very soon as I live just outside of Nashville. This coin for me is an otherwise bright spot in a week where I've already wrecked my car.

BAD3F78E-2F55-4F88-B61B-C3B5342106EB.jpeg

Antoninus Pius
    AR Denarius 144 A.D.

Obverse: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P COS III; Laureate head right.

Reverse: ANNONA AVG. Modius with four-grain ears and a poppy.

Rome Mint

RIC 62

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    Ajax, Johndakerftw, Co1ns and 7 others like this.
  20. Clavdivs

Nice one from a great seller.. congrats!

Bradley Trotter likes this.
  21. Clavdivs

Happy to grab a real bargain version of this extremely historical type.. far from the best you will see - but the story behind this coin is pretty amazing. Severed head and all....

upload_2020-7-5_22-19-7.png
    2.61g
    Helmeted head of Roma right "EX SC" before "ROMA X" behind
    Horseman galloping left holding a sword and the head of a barbarian "Q" and "M SERGI" below "SILVS" in exergue.
    Sergia 1a

**(below grabbed from another thread on CoinTalk discussing this type)**

I'm going to let Pliny explain this one:

Nobody - at least in my opinion - can rightly rank any man above Marcus Sergius, although his great-grandson Catiline shames his name. In his second campaign Sergius lost his right hand. In two campaigns he was wounded twenty-three times, with the result that he had no use in either hand or either foot: only his spirit remained intact. Although disabled, Sergius served in many subsequent campaigns. He was twice captured by Hannibal - no ordinary foe- from whom twice he escaped, although kept in chains and shackles every day for twenty months. He fought four times with only his left hand, while two horses he was riding were stabbed beneath him.

He had a right hand made of iron for him and, going into battle with this bound to his arm, raised the siege of Cremona, saved Placentia and captured twelve enemy camps in Gaul - all of which exploits were confirmed by the speech he made as praetor when his colleagues tried to debar him as infirm from the sacrifices. What piles of wreaths he would have amassed in the face of a different enemy!

Natural History,
    Book 7 Chapter 28

Ajax, Johndakerftw, Bing and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted