Featured Counterfeit 1964 Kennedy Half - Finally able to see one..

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Ethan, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Peter Economakis

Peter Economakis Well-Known Member

The 8 looks off a bit. Does it feel like it was cast?
    I'm also seeing that there's a rounded blend to the rim. Looking at other fakes with the big money dates were sharply cornered to the rim.
    Fake or not I like it, only because not to many will get scammed on it and if they do it couldn't be more than a $1?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Nope. It is die-struck, just like 99.999% of the fake coins coming out of China. Casting is obsolete

Cheech9712 and Peter Economakis like this.
  4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Has it been determined that the 1964 in the OP is actually fake?
    I thought the one on the right was the fake one. Not the one that was shown which appears plated.
    Weight is not always a determining factor if the planchet was rolled slightly thicker.
    Get the metal analyzed without damaging the coin, and if it's 90% silver, etc.
    Sound is not a reliable or scientific method of testing. So many people with perfect pitch.

Cheech9712, NOS and Peter Economakis like this.
  5. Peter Economakis

Can I ask how you got it?
    It's also very scary to know they have been die striking coins now..

6. Peter Economakis

I'm a bit confused also because the duller coin on the right has the same ear shape as the pic below of the shiny one. Probably camera angle??

capthank likes this.
  7. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Yes, well die-struck replica coins are nothing new; the Chinese have been marketing them online since at least the early 2000's.

I never really used Windows Vista so I can't say much about it but my laptop was made in 2006 and originally came with Windows XP. In 2018, I upgraded the memory, installed a fresh PATA hard drive, and put on Windows 7.

I originally thought the one on the right was the fake one as well but the OP's focus is the one on the left. The general sentiment seems to be that it is authentic but plated.

However, the OP wants to take closeup pictures and share them once a new camera comes in that will work with Windows 10.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  8. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Why change right

9. Cheech9712

That was funny

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Which is a good indication of a plating, nickel or nickel with some other metal over it.

You can make an alloy of mercury and tin that has the same SG as silver. Take that, give it a silver plating and it will weigh right, have the correct SG, pass the tissue test, sweak the alloy a little you might be able to fake an XRF test. But the sound test will still fail. But the sound test is unreliable.

If the planchet is internally flawed even a genuine coin will fail the sound test.

No but I remember Baghdad Bob, were they related? (I wouldn't be surprised.) :)

And has been obsolete for 20 years or more.

Peter Economakis likes this.
  11. Cheech9712

Nah. You just did that

12. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Waiting on the Scope then we will know...

13. Ethan

It is going to be a bit, new scope delivered to old address. My fault.

14. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

You know what else I just noticed about the OP? NO FG on the reverse!!! I think that's unknown on a 1964. I think the coin was either plated or a fake or both.

15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

The only reverse photo I see has so much glare in that region that I wouldn't expect to see it. Am I missing a second photo?

NOS likes this.
  16. Ethan

I feel so stupid as I did not see all the reply's.

First the FG is there.

It is a friend whom found it, I offered the monies up front cause I wanted a fake. I know Kennedy's well and I wanted to SEE what it was. He let me borrow it. He wants it for the same reason I do. That being said, I think the person whom said plated with just enough whatever that is magnetic will cause it to stick. It is a VERY strong magnet and those of you whom have tired it can 'feel' silver with it as I guess it is a field thing. Nonetheless this one sticks but not like you would think it sticks but weakiy.

I purchased a good microscope so I can get good pictures. I of course forgot to change shipping address on the bay, just the account one. So I will order another tonight and get it coming as I do not know how long I will have possession of it.

$50 or $100? That is nothing to having an actual fake (if so) that came from Ampex. Can you imagine the fallback if buying junk silver is now suspect?

We all knew it was coming someday, admit it.. Why fake a 64? Fake Franklin's and Walkers I can see but a common Kennedy? Like the poster above said, he has a 58 penny. Why do it? Well a 64 Kennedy is worth more than a 58 penny but it is worth the hassle?

I guess they would cause they can.

Still I think a plated coin is still an option.

I tried to get good pics, inside and outside with a decent cell camera. When I get the good one, I will post.

Of course I have to reorder it now...

capthank likes this.
  17. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

Check the specific gravity.

NOS likes this.
  18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

THAT sounds like a nickel plating.

paddyman98 likes this.
  19. Ethan

Could be...

20. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

Or chrome.

21. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Only if the chromium has a nickel underlayer, right? Chromium itself isn't ferromagnetic.

micbraun likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted