Featured Counterfeit 1964 Kennedy Half - Finally able to see one..

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Ethan, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

First I quick story, have a buddy that bought off of Ampex and said one was odd. He knew I knew Kennedy's so he asked...couldn't get the eight correct but it seemed heavy. 16 months later I get my hands on it....

Sound test - not right, yet not like a clad coin either but off when directly compared with a real 1964.

Next the weight, the most important test. (I thought)

[​IMG]

Definitely heavy....

Its a good fake, cast I bet, but still trying to look at it up close, USB camera doesn't work since billy gates forced me to Win10.

Still a pretty good job was done here..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Final test, yeah I know should have been earlier but was 99% convinced it was counterfeit.

The picture speaks for itself...

[​IMG]

I have not been on the forums mush lately as time is precious but this is one I wanted to come back and get the news out. To me this is a very big deal. I knew it was coming. I have been watching for it. It is now fact and I sit here holding the proof.

I should not accuse but we ALL know who is doing this, and where they come from. This is blatant theft and NOTHING is being done about it other than our country is waking up to reality I guess.

I am a Kennedy Half Dollar collector, and to me this is a breaking point. Why? I know this was purchased through a major dealer of junk silver. Am I upset with them? Nah, they would replace it in a heartbeat. Actually the coin is not mine and I offered $50 for it unseen, now that I have it in hand, the offer went to $100. It is not for sale.

Folks, this is a dangerous thing, over 300 million of these minted, and even they are now being counterfeited. I collected these since I was 10 years old and have never actually been able to put my hands on a fake Kennedy. Magicians coins sure, I have hand searched over $250K dollars of bank rolls and found a lot of great things, but not this.

Even JUNK is not safe now.

Some articles I have found on the particular subject.

https://gold-forum.kitco.com/archive/index.php/t-140545.html

https://www.ngccoin.com/boards/topi...t-now-40-kennedys-and-a-mutiliated-1929-dime/

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Are you sure the coin has not been plated or coated? I'm not sure why you'd offer $50 or $100 for a coin that you believe to be fake.

After all, one can buy fake coins like these off of professionally designed and developed, typically Chinese-run sites for as little as $0.99 - $1.50 each. I've seen common circulated "replica" 1957 wheat cents offered so it is not surprising replicas or fakes of 1964 half dollars would be produced.

Regarding "billy gates" forcing you onto Windows 10, I'm not sure why you think you've been forced to update your operating system. I've been on Windows 7 since I updated from Windows 98 in 2010 and I happily continue to use Windows 7 on my desktop and laptop alike with no plans to update anytime soon.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  4. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

Why in God's name would anyone want to fake a 1964 JFK? They're the most common 90% silver half that was ever put in circulation. There are LOTS of MS grade 1964 JFKs around!

mynamespat likes this.
  5. Ethan

You know why. They 'fake' anything. Right now a real one is worth $10.....

This is why I am pissed, you can not even buy junk silver anymore....

6. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

Thanks to Ethan for sharing this with us. I once thought why would anyone fake a common run of the mill coin that sells for $10.00? Then a board member said to me: "Volume". 10x10=100 etc. It's not just the Chinese now. Lots of counterfeiters; some bad and some good.
    NOS: I'm with you. I'll never give up my Win 7. I love it.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It looks real to me and sound tests prove nothing.

paddyman98 and mynamespat like this.
  8. Ethan

I had to update from Win8 to Win 10....would LOVE to have win7, but alas I am stuck

9. Ethan

See picture with Magnet (neodymium magnet to be specific)

10. Ethan

As long as I have been collecting $50 is nothing. The fact that I was told no should tell you something. There are not many of these that have been found. It would fool most.

11. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

No, it would only fool non-collectors in my world! :D Expensive fake but it's your money and we all buy coins that could be critiqued for one reason or another! good luck with it! ;)

12. Ethan

It is not mine, and he will not sell it to me. He just knew how I liked Kennedy's and wanted conformation that it was fake. I will have to return it.

Also - other than the magnet and the weight it was hard to tell. Sound test was a good test when holding a true one to compare with....this is a GOOD fake.

GeorgeM likes this.
  13. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

Getting old I guess, as I can remember Coin World™ & alike magazines advertising
    Rolls of Unc. 1964 Kennedy halves for $50 +pph each.
    J.T.

14. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I'm leaning more toward it being plated vs being a fake.

15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

To be silver-plated iron, and still be heavier than a real coin, it would have to be larger than a real coin -- probably thicker. If it were struck from pure nickel, it wouldn't have to be as much thicker, but it would also be more expensive. (Why would anyone strike fakes from nickel, knowing that it's more expensive than iron and would still fail the magnet test?)

If it were a real Kennedy plated with nickel and then another metal, it could be heavier and attracted to a magnet.

So, a few questions:

Is it thicker than a known good coin?

Is the magnetic attraction strong (like a 1943 cent) or weak?

Does it look plated? It kind of does from the photos, but it's hard to be sure.

16. Ethan

See Picture bellow, it looks like it does a 'clad' look to it. Yellowish to the left as seen below.

You might be one to something here. It is not strong to a neodymium magnet. Enough to hold upside down but not like a piece of steel would be for sure.

It could be I guess, but the sound test makes me think not silver at all but I will not rule it out as being plated but I am not convinced of it. (yet)

[​IMG]

capthank and mynamespat like this.
  17. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

I am not rally knowledgeable about these, but I do have a lot of Kennedy's collected. The first thing that hit me was the mouth doesn't look right.....the fake looks like he's smiling. Also the hairline and area around the eye looks off. JMHO.

Cheech9712 and Chris Winkler like this.
  18. furryfrog02

That side shot def makes me definitely think plated.

19. furryfrog02

It looks sort of "off" because the plating is thicker on the coin and it makes the details look bad.

paddyman98 and mynamespat like this.
  20. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I also agree that it appears to be plated. Nickel plating will cause it to stick to a magnet, especially a strong one. In addition, the weight and tolerance of a silver Kennedy is 12.500 gms +/- 0.259 gms so your coin is just slightly heavier than a standard issue, and Ni plating could add a little.

21. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

To be clear, I'm sure there are base-metal fake Kennedys out there. I'd just expect them to be thicker or lighter than real ones.

GeorgeM and mynamespat like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted